Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Help! Annoying McAfee Pop-ups.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Watch5869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    297

    Help! Annoying McAfee Pop-ups.

    I recently downloaded the newest version of McAfee security and anti-virus program. Since then, about every 15 seconds or so, some pop-up will appear at the lower left side of the screen asking if I want to allow some change to the registry or allow internet access and the like. It is most annoying. What did McaFee do about all those decisions before?

    Does anyone know a way to defeat these pop-ups so that they no longer appear?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,909
    Sounds like a mcaffee firewall, mcaffee sucks.

  3. #3
    Dr Tweak mnosteele52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    11,914
    It sounds more like the Proactive Defense that Kaspersky uses, it makes you give permission for any change to anything, the philosophy is so that malware can't make a change without your permission. I turn off the feature, it's annoying and i know my pc is secure.


  4. #4
    Certified SG Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    29,529
    Uh....

  5. #5
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,909
    Should we repeat our answers?

  6. #6
    Regular Member Watch5869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    It sounds more like the Proactive Defense that Kaspersky uses, it makes you give permission for any change to anything, the philosophy is so that malware can't make a change without your permission. I turn off the feature, it's annoying and i know my pc is secure.

    The problem is; Idon't know how to turn it off.

  7. #7
    SG Family ghettoside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    At Large in the US
    Posts
    5,153
    Imho, uninstall that Mcafee crap. Use Nod32.

    Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    I gave up on McAfee years ago, largely for the same reason listed above. Years ago I had to spend time testing the antivirus on offline systems, that it was not worth it. Personaly I don't think it could find a booger on a white hankerchief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

    There are idiots everywhere.

    At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!


    WebSites-n-Services.com

    Internet Security Guide & Downloads

  8. #8
    SG Enthusiast Leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Posts
    3,578
    Hmm, I have made 2 house calls this week for friends having issues with Mcaffee. I "painstakingly" removed Mcaffee on both machines. I really dislike that software. Uninstalls are a pain in the hind end.
    USMC RETIRED

    Steve

    Tacoma Guitar Forum

  9. #9
    SG Family ghettoside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    At Large in the US
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66 View Post
    Hmm, I have made 2 house calls this week for friends having issues with Mcaffee. I "painstakingly" removed Mcaffee on both machines. I really dislike that software. Uninstalls are a pain in the hind end.
    Mcafee sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

    There are idiots everywhere.

    At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!


    WebSites-n-Services.com

    Internet Security Guide & Downloads

  10. #10
    Regular Member Watch5869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    297

    McAfee Popups

    Thanks to all who responded. I have ditched McAfee and now am running Nod32 with no grief.

  11. #11
    SG Family ghettoside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    At Large in the US
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch5869 View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. I have ditched McAfee and now am running Nod32 with no grief.
    Way to go!

    rep points awarded!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

    There are idiots everywhere.

    At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!


    WebSites-n-Services.com

    Internet Security Guide & Downloads

Similar Threads

  1. help with speed
    By jpoexclusive in forum General Broadband Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-22-06, 10:59 PM
  2. UPS is raising Prices but lowering the Fuel Surcharge
    By thepieman in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-05, 08:47 PM
  3. The King Of Pop Is On The Brink Of Losing The Beatles Catalogue.
    By minir in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-12-05, 04:45 PM
  4. pop ups
    By cookyr in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-05, 01:41 AM
  5. Pop ups on TV!!
    By Ken in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-17-05, 02:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •