Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I connect Cable modem to DSL router?

Can I connect Cable modem to DSL router?

Hi Guys,

I used verizon wireless broadband service for an year . Now Iím switched to roadrunner. The problem is cable modem is not wireless so I feel uncomfortable with the wires and all.
    I still have DSL broadband router that Verizon provided (Westell Versalink 327w). This has DSL connector for in and regular 4 Ethernet connector.
    Is it possible to connect this router to cable modem and use it as normal router? If possible is it very difficult to seup?
    My cabel modem is RCA DCM425 (http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp...86f1#back_view)

Thanks a lot
    Girish

You already changed to Road Runner Cable broadband right, and the Westell you have is a modem/router I believe. If it is a modem router Im afraid it will not work with the RCA modem that you have since both will be conflicting since the westell is a modem/router too. Not unless if there is a way to configure your westell to connect to the modem in bridged mode or if its possible for that modem type to be cascaded to your cable modem from road runner. Hope it helps.
    Smileys: My story
    Im wondering how to get a network .So i go and surfed at school for what router to get & was presented with a .Selected my router, but the price hhmpp let me think Will I buy this??? Well,So much for the price,what about the features? Great & cool. With a [T1] auto config,its easy to set it up that i never got . Right now I'm the Net,Im not gonna my network, I love it and with that I can have a .

Post Using Westell DSL Router with Cable Modem

Probably too late but I happened to stumble across your post while attempting to do the same thing. Couldn't find any sites about it, but after a bit of playing around, I figured out how. I had Verizon DSL, just switched today to Optimum Online Cable modem. Was using the same Westell 327W, optimum provided basic cable modem.
    -Connect cat5 cable from ethernet port on cable modem to ethernet port 1 on westell. (Must be port 1)
    -Connect cat5 cable from computer NIC to other port on westell.
    -(You may need to) Start->Run->cmd
    ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew
    Here's the trick...
    -Open web browser, go to westell homepage (likely 192.168.0.1)
    -Configuration tab, Advanced WAN->WAN
    -Change WAN PORT drop down from DSL ATM PORT to ETHERNET PORT 1
    -Click Edit button. Change Protocol from PPPoE to ROUTED.
    -Radio button for DHCP Client to Enable.
    -Click Set button.
    -(You may need to) Power cycle both Cable Modem and Westell device

That should be all, you should now be able to connect to internet through the Westell DSL router. I may have left something out, but if so, hopefully these directions should be enough to get you on your way. Anyway, it is possible to use Westell DSL router as a (wireless)router for your cable modem. Good luck.

Thanks this help, I tried this and it works, two thumbs up
    But now I need help with making the router work with the house line. I want to connect the internet downstairs while the optimum online is upstairs. I used to be verizon dsl service, now I got optimum online. I have the same exact router you guys have, yet I keep getting verizon saying your service to this line is disabled.. is their any way I can enable it to work with optimum online?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamesEd View Post
    Thanks this help, I tried this and it works, two thumbs up
    But now I need help with making the router work with the house line. I want to connect the internet downstairs while the optimum online is upstairs. I used to be verizon dsl service, now I got optimum online. I have the same exact router you guys have, yet I keep getting verizon saying your service to this line is disabled.. is their any way I can enable it to work with optimum online?
    My sister too used to have Verizon DSL and got to keep the dsl modem/router. She now has cable and asked me if she could use it as a wireless router for her cable modem... The above configuration does indeed let me set the thing to work just as a router for a cable connection, but any time I go to a site I instead get a page telling me to activate the DSL account...

Thank you, you rock!

I thought I would have to buy a new wifi router, but I was able to use it just like you said. How would of figured you could use a dsl modem with a cable modem?

Awesome!

but telling me to activate the DSL account!!!

I have tried this but whenever I open the browser and type any URL, its taking me to VERIZOM site and telling me to activate the DSL account. I think it has been programmed such a way that it never be used as a wire/wireless router with some other internet provider. If you have solution for this, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
    Suresh.H

Quote Originally Posted by bisbers View Post
    Probably too late but I happened to stumble across your post while attempting to do the same thing. Couldn't find any sites about it, but after a bit of playing around, I figured out how. I had Verizon DSL, just switched today to Optimum Online Cable modem. Was using the same Westell 327W, optimum provided basic cable modem.
    -Connect cat5 cable from ethernet port on cable modem to ethernet port 1 on westell. (Must be port 1)
    ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew
    Here's the trick...
    -Click Set button.

That should be all, you should now be able to connect to internet through the Westell DSL router. I may have left something out, but if so, hopefully these directions should be enough to get you on your way. Anyway, it is possible to use Westell DSL router as a (wireless)router for your cable modem. Good luck.

Are u able to user verizon's Router with Cable?

I have tried this but whenever I open the browser and type any URL, its taking me to VERIZOM site and telling me to activate the DSL account. I think it has been programmed such a way that it never be used as a wire/wireless router with some other internet provider. If you have solution for this, please let me know.

Please let me know if you are able to use it as a wire/wireless router with cabe internet.

Thanks and Regards,
    Suresh.H

Quote Originally Posted by hidden2u View Post
    Thank you, you rock!

I thought I would have to buy a new wifi router, but I was able to use it just like you said. How would of figured you could use a dsl modem with a cable modem?

Awesome!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Those Westels are HORRIBLE as wireless units..get a good wireless router instead of using the Verizon gateways.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Anyone Still Checking This Post?

I am doing the same thing and running into a problem. When I go to the westell ip, it asks for a username and password. I read on another post it is my Verizon info, but that doesn't work. Any ideas.

Please Help!

Nichole

Smile kind of worked for me - help please

ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew
    Here's the trick...
    -Click Set button.

I followed your direction. I have followign Q.s

(1) Do I need to keep all the cabels connected as you suggested while going over rest of the process?
    (2) I can't go any further than the steps you mentioned - ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew

(3) I tried to use guide on http://www.westell.com/technical-sup...el-327w-2.html, step #12. But could not open the file.

I would appriciate if you can provide assistance to resolve my problem. Thank you.

Mr. bisbers

Thank you very much. Your documentation was just perfect.

ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew
    Here's the trick...
    -Click Set button.

Hi.

First of all Thanks for the excellent documentation and I have as similar kind of an issue i.e. I have a diff. DSL modem cum wifi router and the only options under WAN interface are :-

Connection Type

Select the type of network protocol for IP over Ethernet as WAN interface

A.) PPP over ATM (PPPoA)

B.) PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

C.) MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER)

D.) IP over ATM (IPoA)

E.) Bridging

Now as you mentioned about the few things :-

1.) -Change WAN PORT drop down from DSL ATM PORT to ETHERNET PORT 1
    2.) -Click Edit button. Change Protocol from PPPoE to ROUTED.
    3.) -Radio button for DHCP Client to Enable.ing like that

In my DSL modem router:-

1.)-Change WAN PORT drop down from DSL ATM PORT to ETHERNET PORT 1 -- Dont see any option to do any

2.) Change Protocol from PPPoE to ROUTED. :- no option for routed and infact that was what I was lookin for initially in the DSL - modem -router of mine and didnt find any and only options were the one I have given above

3.) -Radio button for DHCP Client to Enable.ing like that -- This however I can as that is under LAN settings :-

Lan Setup

You must reboot the router to make the new configuration effective of this page.

IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:

DHCP Server

Disable
    Enable

But the other 2 Options I dont see them

The only other options that I can see are:-

DSL Settings

Select the modulation below. (Notice: If you don't understand parameter below, please keep defalut settings.)

G.Dmt Enabled
    G.lite Enabled
    T1.413 Enabled

ADSL2 Enabled Bitswap Enabled
    AnnexL Enabled SRA Enabled
    ADSL2+ Enabled
    AnnexM Enabled

and I dont think they would make any diff.

Also for selecting any of the 5 WAN interface options I have to choose ATM VC settings and don't see any way I can bypass them, and ATM VC settings is something that we need for DSL and not for routing,, so keeping them would make any diff. or they dont matter at all

So could you please tell me if something can be done about this DSL modem router that I have

Regards,
    Prad

Angry Westell Versalink Router & Comcast Cable

ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew
    Here's the trick...
    -Click Set button.

I tried this & I don't doubt that it works but I'm a newbie when it comes to networking period. I reset the westell & does not give any options for changing anything after it asks for the password....i know I'm the problem with this thing. It has spanked me for (2) days!

Talking

ipconfig -release all
    ipconfig -renew
    Here's the trick...
    -Click Set button.

I too reached the Verizon DSL Activation Page. Here is the missing PUZZLE PIECE to get your VERIZON WIRELESS ROUTER to work!!!

Go to http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm and click DISABLE.

And you're all SET!! Enjoy!

Note: BTW - you do need to POWER CYLE the Cable Modem & Verizon Wiress Router.

I have similar setup - Time Warner cable internet, instead of Westell though i'd like to use Netgear DGN2000 wireless router with built-in DSL modem.
    Any ideas?

Many thanks!

I rarely post on forums, mainly because I find so much useful info posted across so many and prefer not to register time and time again.

This time, however, I must extend my thanks to Bisbers and Timeless909. I'm posting this through a Charter modem and a Verizon Westell!!!

I know many folks are unspoken yet grateful for such shared wisdom across the web. This time I share my enthusiasm and thanks... for it is us who combat the tyrannical privatization of internet service companies among other entities that promote digital jail cells which bar us from sharing the technology that is inherent to us.

Respect.

Question I can't log into 192.168.0.1

I have cable modem(connected to Internet) and ADSL router and two PCs. Cable Modem ethernet connected to router Ethernet port 01 and two pcs are connected to router Ethernet port 02 and port 03.

I power cycle the modem and the router. I am able to access internet on both PCs. But I am not able to log into my router admin through 192.168.0.1 getting the message page not found. So I guess router is functioning only as a hub now.

Please help me what I need to do get router admin page.

I have been trying to do this and when i go to 192.168.1.1 it ask me to set up time to do checks and then i hit continue and it tries to install automatically i can not get to a home screen where i can select the options stated above. I have had my westell for some time and love it. I just switched to cable and have tried two routers a netgear witch connects and disconnects on its own (returned), and a lynksis that seemed like we went back to dial up, took about 45 seconds per page to load (returned). I want my westell to work again. Right now I am just plugged in to the cable modem and can not move around the house.
    Last edited by bzsprinkler; 01-05-10 at 07:28 AM.

hi bisbers,
    i just registered because your formula really works and to thank you. i did followed your steps and connected my time warner modem to my old verizon (dsl n wireless) router and now i m enjoying wireless internet.
    Also, i had a question did you find little slowness in the internet speed after joining with verizon router than it used to be when using only time warner modem. Because i do.
    If you or any one out there has a solution to this. Please help me out.

feel free to ask questions.