Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @ what temperature should you use a block heater?

@ what temperature should you use a block heater?

gonna be -22 tomarrow

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

-25F

Most cars in Alaska, Montana, Minnesota or Maine -- in short, any U.S. state bordering Canada -- are equipped with block heaters. When you live in a region where the temperature can drop below -30C (approximately -25F), a block heater is a necessity if you want your car to start in the morning.

A block heater warms the radiator and the engine coolant contained therein, as well as the entire engine compartment. At temperatures below -30C, engine antifreeze begins to congeal, restricting the flow of water though the coolant system. This means that the engine will take longer to reach peak operating temperature, and that your car's passenger compartment heater will blow frigid air for a few minutes longer each time you start your car. Because your engine is operating at a more ideal temperature, fuel economy is improved up to 10 per cent instead of cold starting your car. Sometimes, your car won't even start at all without the block heater working. Trust me, I know.

When I was in Alaska, I use to have a block heater and a battery blanket.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

The recommendation of -25 is probably valid, but even at 0, it's pretty hard on a motor for a cold start.

My main rig is garaged now but when I was on the road, I kept my car plugged in for anything from 15 degrees and below. - number? Yep.....keep that block warm.

Blog Entries
    Hi Randy

Anything below Zero is a good time to Plug In imho. Easier start/less strain on batteries. This is important because most people do not have Plug-ins where they work, so you need a strong battery.

Don't run unnecessary items like radio etc on short drives and turn off Fans, radio etc before shutting down for the night so you;ll have less strain on the battery during startup come morning.

One worthwhile investment is a good Timer that you can plug your block heater into at night. Set the timer to come on about an hour before startup and it will warm your vehicle without draining your hydro bill by running all night long.

Also always park so your battery is accessible for a jump start should your battery fail to do so. I always back into my driveway at night so my truck faces out for just that situation.

--

minir

thx you guys

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    Hi Randy

Anything below Zero is a good time to Plug In imho. Easier start/less strain on batteries. This is important because most people do not have Plug-ins where they work, so you need a strong battery.

Don't run unnecessary items like radio etc on short drives and turn off Fans, radio etc before shutting down for the night so you;ll have less strain on the battery during startup come morning.

One worthwhile investment is a good Timer that you can plug your block heater into at night. Set the timer to come on about an hour before startup and it will warm your vehicle without draining your hydro bill by running all night long.

Also always park so your battery is accessible for a jump start should your battery fail to do so. I always back into my driveway at night so my truck faces out for just that situation.

--

minir

thanks for the tips

We're less than a mile from the Pacific so it never really freezes here, much less get near zero. Good idea about parking in an accessable manner though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    thanks for the tips

We're less than a mile from the Pacific so it never really freezes here, much less get near zero. Good idea about parking in an accessable manner though.
    --

Hi Humboldt

Your Welcome Humboldt

Usually here in Canada its a good idea to carry Jumper Cables with you and a survival kit as well.

I usually have a Candle in the glove box and a lighter for heat if need, extra socks (you can use them as mitts if needed) scarf & Tuque as well. It can get real uncomfortable in a very short time if your stuck or slide off the road in winter here.

When i used to travel as a Salesman i always carried those items plus a Snowmobile Suit and Sorels just in case. Better safe than sorry.

--

regards

minir

I have the survival kit, chains etc.. but where we live in canada is very unique its actually a desert and the house we moved into only has a carport. Despite living in a desert temp lows are about -20 c.

I found out one thing this AM - the adds lie. Dodge says their diesel will start down to -40 C. Well it only got down to -33 last night and the beast would not start on it's own. Had to put the battery charger on it and plug it in for an hour.

It is suppose to go down to -35 C(wind chill -45 C) tonight so I put the charger on for the night. I will get up at 05:00 and plug it in so when I leave at 06:00 hopefully it will start.

Normally I have an in-line diesel heater installed that starts about 1 hour before I want to start the truck. It warms the engine up to 85 C. It starts like it was summer, and the truck starts producing lot of heat almost as soon as it starts, but I have not installed it yet.

It is the best way to go - if I leave the blower on low, the inside of the truck is warm, and the windshield is clear.

Guess I better get it install -eh.

blacklab

Blog Entries
    Hi Randy & blacklab

Randy
    Your getting some unseasonably cold weather their i see. Good luck

--

blacklab
    Late again eh lazybones.

Did the in-line diesel heater manual not say "will not work unless installed."

Keep your mittens handy Terry

--

minir

All depends on who is paying the electric bill, if its the landlord, use it all the time, winter or summer, if your paying, minus 15 would be my starting point

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    blacklab
    Late again eh lazybones.

Did the in-line diesel heater manual not say "will not work unless installed."

Keep your mittens handy Terry

--

minir
    I had it all planned to stay in bed on the cold mornings.

Wed. morning when I left it was -36.6 C with a wind chill of -48 C.

Thought I had square tires when I started out.

blacklab

Blog Entries
    --

Hi blacklab

Remember those days when i was stationed in Shilo Manitoba. Brrr!

Looks like the snow is heading my way. Oh well it had to happen sometime.

Stay Warm Terry.

--

larry

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I had it all planned to stay in bed on the cold mornings.

Wed. morning when I left it was -36.6 C with a wind chill of -48 C.

blacklab
    OMG, that is effing cold. I thought i had it bad having to turn the AC on today

That IS cold

I have to use something like this to even know how damn cold though
    http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

-22 C >>>>>> -29 C

After that good luck with the potasium.

Right now in Winnipeg it is -24C with a windchill of -35C. And this is pretty normal!

I'd say plug in your car starting at -20C.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I found out one thing this AM - the adds lie. Dodge says their diesel will start down to -40 C. Well it only got down to -33 last night and the beast would not start on it's own. Had to put the battery charger on it and plug it in for an hour.

It is suppose to go down to -35 C(wind chill -45 C) tonight so I put the charger on for the night. I will get up at 05:00 and plug it in so when I leave at 06:00 hopefully it will start.

Normally I have an in-line diesel heater installed that starts about 1 hour before I want to start the truck. It warms the engine up to 85 C. It starts like it was summer, and the truck starts producing lot of heat almost as soon as it starts, but I have not installed it yet.

It is the best way to go - if I leave the blower on low, the inside of the truck is warm, and the windshield is clear.

Guess I better get it install -eh.

blacklab
    I am surprised that you dont have a remote starter!....the newest compustar remote starters have a temperature censor that will automaticaly turn the car on every 3 hours when the out side temp goes down past a certain point
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

I don't use a block heater...if it doesn't start I go back to bed.