Thread: DFT Error 0x72 - Guarantee Seagate Replaces my Drive?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

DFT Error 0x72 - Guarantee Seagate Replaces my Drive?

DFT is showing me an error code of 0x72. Does this mean that if I send my hard drive in for warranty that Seagate will definitely give me a new drive or is that diagnosis somehow open to interpretation? My main concern is that it is a Seagate hard drive but a Hitachi utility doing the diagnosis.

This is what the DFT documentation says about that error code 0x72:

Device S.M.A.R.T. Error.
    The Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) has detected a drive problem. The drive may fail soon and should be replaced as soon as possible.

Any thoughts or experiences with respect to exercising this kind of warranty would be appreciated.

Is the drive working ? YES
    Is it gonna fail soon ? YES
    Start using it as much as you can before the warranty expires.
    Thats what i would do.
    Or contact seagate and ask them what you should do.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

www.kit-tronics.com

Seagate will replace it -- SMART errors are a result of the drive's own tests so any test that checks SMART should see them. BTW, DFT has NEVER given me a false positive on a test.
    amro.co, github.com/amro

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to hear that you have never seen a false positive. For good measure I'm running the Seagate diagnostic, if that fails then they really are going to replace it I hope. Guess I'll know those results in an hour or so.

Then I'll have to hook up the other 200 Gb drive to see if it fails too or if it is just the one that is bad.

Never had any other hard drive problems in 12 years, this was my first Seagate. Now I'm wondering if they are crap. Even the Maxtor and IBM drives I own didn't fail like this.

All Seagate utility found was 3 bad sectors and that it failed the test. Not exactly a lot of details on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by purecomedy
    All Seagate utility found was 3 bad sectors and that it failed the test. Not exactly a lot of details on that one.
    Okay, so I fixed those 3 bad sectors with the Seagate utility and then I re-ran the DFT overnight and the drive now passed with no errors.

My drive went from 0x72 (for sure I need to replace the drive) to being absolutely fine.

What are my potential scenarios here:
    1. Drive is now fixed forever
    2. I'll run DFT in a short duration and a serious error like 0x72 will re-appear
    3. Total randomness, no idea...

First of all, Seagate makes good drives, but let me give some insight on how hard disks are made and work.

Every drive made by any hard disk manufacturer has a defective surface -- defective in the sense that it has physical imperfections -- bad sectors. Manufacturers know this and they put a bit of extra space (not such how much -- maybe a few hundred MB, a GB or two -- doesn't matter) on the drive in case part of the disk goes bad. They mask out the defective portions of the disk in the firmware so they're unused and move on with life. If a sector goes bad and is no longer writable (for whatever reason), there are facilities to map that as an unusable sector and simply write to one of the extra sectors in its place whenever a write command is issued to that address.

So long as the defect doesn't spread to neighboring sectors and so on, your the drive will be fine. There's no way to know FOR SURE if it'll be 100% from here on out, but then again you didn't know when you bought it either (it's a matter of when a drive fails, not if it fails). I would probably take a cautious approach to it -- use the drive as it's most likely just fine, but back up your data regularly (you should anyway). Now, it's time for the shameless plug -- find free backup software, like mine or Cobian and use it.

Cliff Notes:
    - All drives are defective and die eventually
    - Bad sectors are replaced with unused ones that are hidden on all drives
    - Your drive is probably fine now
    - Back up your data as you need to anyway
    amro.co, github.com/amro

Quote Originally Posted by Amro
    First of all, Seagate makes good drives, but let me give some insight on how hard disks are made and work.

Every drive made by any hard disk manufacturer has a defective surface -- defective in the sense that it has physical imperfections -- bad sectors. Manufacturers know this and they put a bit of extra space (not such how much -- maybe a few hundred MB, a GB or two -- doesn't matter) on the drive in case part of the disk goes bad. They mask out the defective portions of the disk in the firmware so they're unused and move on with life. If a sector goes bad and is no longer writable (for whatever reason), there are facilities to map that as an unusable sector and simply write to one of the extra sectors in its place whenever a write command is issued to that address.

So long as the defect doesn't spread to neighboring sectors and so on, your the drive will be fine. There's no way to know FOR SURE if it'll be 100% from here on out, but then again you didn't know when you bought it either (it's a matter of when a drive fails, not if it fails). I would probably take a cautious approach to it -- use the drive as it's most likely just fine, but back up your data regularly (you should anyway). Now, it's time for the shameless plug -- find free backup software, like mine or Cobian and use it.

Cliff Notes:
    - All drives are defective and die eventually
    - Bad sectors are replaced with unused ones that are hidden on all drives
    - Your drive is probably fine now
    - Back up your data as you need to anyway
    Good information, thanks.

I'm still very confused. How does my drive go from "The drive may fail soon and should be replaced as soon as possible." to being in perfect health according to the diagnostic? Alright my new series of questions:

1. How much stock do you put in the diagnostic?
    2. Is a new hard drive likely to be more stable than this one? What's to say that I won't get another series of bad sectors that require me to fix them (or else receive the 0x72 DFT result).
    3. Should I try to stress this drive all to hell, burn it out so I get a new one under warranty. I'm not trying to be dishonest, problem is the drive is unstable but probably would not meet the "failure" specs required from Seagate. Warranty is probably black and white whereas this drive is in the grey area of stability.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    SMART errors can be taken with a grain of salt. It's nice...useful in helping with the warranty. In my experience it can often cry wolf though. Matter of fact..you'll often see in the "fix" lists of BIOS upgrades...that some false alarms between SMART and <certain make/model hard drive> was fixed.

Wether or not you want to bother upgrading your systems BIOS to see if that gets rid of a false alarm or not..that's up to you, if you're not comfy doing such a thing, don't wish to risk making a paperweight out of your motherboard...then take steps to pursue your RMA.

I don't put a lot of stock in diagnostics. With drives..there are so many areas that can fail, from physical with the head, armature, spindle/bearings, and the integrity of the platter itself. So on the flip side of the SMART possibly giving false alarms, there the other side, if a drive is starting to fail...it's often downhill from there.

In my experience, I've seen drives that have had SMART/diag errors keep running for the rest of the life of the PC. I've also seen them begin a downhill spiral, even when the errors say "fixed". In all honesty..it's a gamble.

Seagate and WD are my two top brand favorite drives. Long as you stick with their top models...the 3 and 5 year drives, and stay away from their cheap 1 year drives (such as the old Seagate U series, and WD Protege drives).

So to wrap up the long winded blurb....taking an error...knowing it gives you a better chance of an RMA/Warranty call...I'd shoot for a replacement.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yosc said it all -- be cautious, the drive might survive and it might not..no way to know (depends on if the surface defects spread and only time will tell)
    amro.co, github.com/amro