Thread: My Router SLOWS My Internet Connection!

My Router SLOWS My Internet Connection!

Hey Folks,

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem that has been ongoing for the last two months - my router seems to slow my internet connection WAY down.
    For the last couple of years, I had no problems with my high speed cable internet connection - with four computers connected to a router - which in turn, is connected to the modem. Something seemed to change a couple of months ago, and the internet connection is really slow now. Here's what I have done to diagnose the problem.

1. I called Adelphia - they checked the connection at the modem, and they say all is fine up to the modem.

2. If I connect any one computer directly to the modem, it seems to run fairly fast.

3. When I connect the router to the modem, and then connect any one computer - it runs really slow.

5. I bought a new router - same problem!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Shouldn't slow you down, if you're purchasing a decent router. Most of the newer routers now will handle at least 20 megs throughput...many up to and over 100 megs now.

Some tips..ensure the router is running the latest firmware
    Try manually setting the MTU on the router, 1500 for cable
    Avoid using a router if the ISP supplied modem also has a router built in...you end up double NAT'ing. If you need to use your own router, disable the router in the ISP supplied gateway appliance..using the modem only in bridged mode. This is more common for DSL than for cable though.

Running any p2p programs? They tend to bog down most home grade routers with their high amount of concurrent connections.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Also, check the compatibility of your Nic (or its settings) with the router.

I couldn't find anything in the routers software settings that said "MTU" or NIC - is there something else I can check for?

What make/model router is it?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Dell 2300 Wireless Router

Hi I'm a first time poster and found this great forum using google and this thread represents the exact problem I'm having so I wanted to post here.

My sincerest apologies if necroing threads is highly frowned upon on these forums but I really felt that this thread contains my EXACT problem.

Right now I have 7 computers hooked up to my Netgear FVS318 Router. Of these 7 computers, at max, 3 are usually active. For a majority of the time, only my main computer's connection to the router is active.

When I connect directly to my modem I get HUGE speedtest.net results. Here they are:

When I connect behind my router to speedtest.net I get abysmal results. Here they are:

Now I would call myself highly above average in terms of computer education but unfortunately networking is not a strongpoint of mine.

These results to me mean 1 of two things:

1) The new throughput of my recently upgraded comcast line is too high for the router to handle

OR

2) My router is splitting the connection to every active port. I highly doubt that it's this but for all I know it could be. Note that I tested downloading on two computers downloading at the same time and when one download speed rose, the other fell in unison.

If it's not a setting problem in my router then unfortunately I think it's time I have to go out and spend another 150$ on a router.

Any advice / opinions / expertise you can give on my situation would be highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by advocate View Post
    Hi I'm a first time poster and found this great forum using google and this thread represents the exact problem I'm having so I wanted to post here.

Right now I have 7 computers hooked up to my Netgear FVS318 Router. Of these 7 computers, at max, 3 are usually active. For a majority of the time, only my main computer's connection to the router is active.
    I've seen lots and lots and lots of speed complaints pretty much exactly like yours..when it comes to the Netgear prosafe firewalls.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/
    Scroll down those charts..you'll see it benchmarked at only 7 megs throughput. So even with a basic Comcast package...that router is already a bottleneck. Based on that chart, you should be seeing closer to 7..not 2.

As for splitting..if you only have 1x PC online running a speedtest..there is no additional splitting, it's only splitting the traffic if other PCs on your LAN are busy pulling down internet traffic.

Last efforts to fix...ensure router has latest firmware installed, try manually setting the MTU to 1500...but...7 megs is all you'll squeek out of it anyways.

In selecting a replacement router...what features do you need?

For good performing routers that'll handle Comcast traffic soon (shoot high on the list, as Comcast is rolling out Docsis 3)...refer to that link above.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Last efforts to fix...ensure router has latest firmware installed, try manually setting the MTU to 1500...but...7 megs is all you'll squeek out of it anyways.

In selecting a replacement router...what features do you need?

For good performing routers that'll handle Comcast traffic soon (shoot high on the list, as Comcast is rolling out Docsis 3)...refer to that link above.
    In terms of a replacement all I need is a good number of slots for LAN parties and easy configurability for ports and the firewall so I can host internet games of my choosing as well as open P2P connections.
    edit: all the connections must be wired as well. My mom works from home through VPC so we have security concerns so no wireless.

By the way do you know how to change the MTU setting on my router or what general setting tab I might find it under?

And lastly can you recommend any good ~8 slot routers? Thanks again for all the help.

Random fact: this thread has 9000 views haha I think a lot of people like myself found it on google and read it at least once.

There are some 8 port (and even 16) routers out there, most of those are business grade, such as the Linksys/Cisco RV082.

However, I recommend separating the router from the switch, just pickup an 8 or 16 port switch..and uplink that to your router.

When you say your mom VPNs to work from home...does she launch a VPN client from her computer to her office? Or is there a full time VPN connection between the Netgear router to her office? As in, her workplaces IT dept setup the Netgear for that purpose?

I'd recommend some of the DLink routers at the top of the chart on the above link. Wireless should not be a concern security wise...if you use it..enable WPA or higher security. If you don't want to use it, you can "turn off" the wireless on the router. They do make some similar non-wireless models...but in reality, the cost savings of selecting a non-wireless model is really nothing, usually the sales and bargains are on the popular wireless models so they're less expensive.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

hey i just wanted to let you know that i ran out and purchased a D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) because it was on the top of the list that you gave me and my internet is now working beautifully.

wired and wirelessly i get 2.3MB/s downloads all over the house.

thanks a bunch for all the help

Guinness for Strength!!!