Thread: My Thinkpad T60 problem - random shutdown?

My Thinkpad T60 problem - random shutdown?

I would definitely be very happy with my new T60 if it does not have this problem - random shutdown. I'm experiencing this problem about once a day, or once every 2 days. It usually happens at the start of using my laptop (with AC Power), especially several minutes after turning on, or several minutes after I resume from standby. But strange enough, if the laptop can survive after those several minutes, then it would continue to work fine.

So, I suspect there is a startup program that causes this problem.

Here it's my laptop details:
    - 2 GHz Duo Core T2500 Processor
    - 1 GB DDR RAM
    - 100 GB Hard Disk
    - ATI X1400 Graphic Card
    - Windows XP Pro
    - 14 inch Screen

I've already installed quite many programs and settings on my laptop. So I hope the problem can be solved withtout using "Rescue and Recovery".

I've uninstalled Symantec Client Security (Anti-Virus & Firewall). The Firewall is a nuisance if you're using a Limited User account. It's blocking too many sign-in webpages, such as Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, eBay, etc. To unblock these webpages, you have to add them to the Firewall settings in the Admin account (but not always working). It's so troublesome. So I've uninstalled the whole Symantec program and is now using AVG and ZoneAlarm, both free.

From my experience of the unexpected shutdowns, I notice that a shutdown will occur after turning on my laptop and I can't use the scrollbar in FireFox browser. In other words, when I can't scroll up/down in FireFox, it'll shutdown itself in about 3 seconds.

Maybe I should try using IE for a while and see if the problem persists... Or maybe the "UltraNav" (a ThinkVantage program for touchpad settings) is having problems with FireFox, and I should disable it for a while...

Has anyone encountered this random shutdown problem? Please advise me.
    Life is sogood!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    When you uninstalled Symantsuck...did you clean it up further with the SymNRT?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for reply. The link you provided is helpful for anyone who wants to make sure that their machines are cleaned of Symantsuck. :-)

However, I already have the random shutdown problem before Symantec Client Firewall is uninstalled.

From what I've researched on the Web, it seems that the Powerplay in ATI Catalyst Control Center is what causing Thinkpad T60 problems like freezing and standby difficulties.

I've disabled Powerplay and see if the random shutdown problem persists.
    Life is sogood!

Quote Originally Posted by sogood
    However, I already have the random shutdown problem before Symantec Client Firewall is uninstalled.
    Ahh OK.
    Any driver updates show up if you do windows update with the detailed option?

For the 60 series...I've deployed about 10 of the X series this past summer...none of the T series lately since the 40 series...

While I love the quality of the Thinkpads....and support, this summer I was surprised to see them start shipping them with trial ware that start nagging you after a few weeks. (disk keeper) and pre-packaged with Symantec AV (first thing I take off)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Ahh OK.
    Any driver updates show up if you do windows update with the detailed option?
    I set my Windows to update automatically and everything is already updated in the High Priority option. But I've not tried the Custom Update option earlier. How can I miss this step?!

At the Custom Update, it shows up one optional hardware update, as shown below:

"ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    ATI Technologies Inc. Video sofware update released in September, 2006"

I downloaded it and restarted my laptop. After this update, I noticed that the Powerplay (which I disabled previously) is now enabled by itself. So, maybe my guess of Powerplay being the problem is right. I hope so...
    Life is sogood!

I downloaded it and restarted my laptop. After this update, I noticed that the Powerplay (which I disabled previously) is now enabled by itself. So, maybe my guess of Powerplay being the problem is right. I hope so...
    Might could be! Hope she steadies out for ya. First Thinkpad?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

For the 60 series...I've deployed about 10 of the X series this past summer...none of the T series lately since the 40 series...
    How fast does your X60 start up? For my T60, it takes about 40 seconds to see the User Logon (Fingerprint) screen, from which it takes another 50 seconds to have all my startup items appeared in the system tray. Do you think my start up speed is slow?

I notice that the ThinkVantage startup item "Client Security Password Manager" is always the last to appear in the system tray, and it takes a much longer time than other items. I'm thinking whether I should disable this item (but don't know how), since it does not work on FireFox browser that I often use.

Might could be! Hope she steadies out for ya. First Thinkpad?
    Yup. And my first laptop!
    Life is sogood!

How fast does your X60 start up? For my T60, it takes about 40 seconds to see the User Logon (Fingerprint) screen, from which it takes another 50 seconds to have all my startup items appeared in the system tray. Do you think my start up speed is slow?
    The T60's sure seem to be fully going in under a minute..I have the fleet for the nurses running on gig of RAM. With the newer SATA drives..they fly.

My personal one is currently an old T-23. Old model..yeah, Pentium M 1.2.

I replaced the hard drive with a 7200rpm, so she boots to login screen in well under 1 minute. Soon as I log in though..by the time network services load...it takes almost a minute. But I've installed and uninstalled so many network devices...I know that extra minute is because I need to reinstall XP. So many different firewalls, network scanners, various NICs, sniffing tools, many different VPN clients..it's just a mess.

I do love the durablity of these. Mine has fallen off of a 6 foot ladder, it was on the shelf step..so about 4-5 feet up...while running, onto a concrete basement floor. Hard drive went shooting out of the case (I swap hard drives a lot..so never screwed in). I thought she was dead for sure. Slapped the driveback in..booted up...logged in just fine. Has fallen off of server towers, shelves, etc. Rugged units..that's why I keep using them.

Old hard drive is still running...I upgraded to the current one for more space.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Problem with ThinkPad T60

I just want to write the problems that i have with the ThinkPad T60, so maybe someone has come up with some solution.

I work in a big company and we have 30 T60s. On 8 of them there is a very serious problem. While working on the T60 on battery power, the moment you put the plug of the adapter in a power switch the laptop freezes. You can turn it off only by holding the power button for 5secs, and all your work will be lost. The second problem is with the down left button on the touch pad. On many of the laptops there is this problem and they have been only used for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by djordanovski View Post
    I just want to write the problems that i have with the ThinkPad T60, so maybe someone has come up with some solution.
    Have you called their support yet? They have great support. Possibly a BIOS upgrade. I'd call...might be a known issue on that series. If it requires repair..they overnight a box to you to put the laptop in, to ship it back to them for repair.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Have you called their support yet? They have great support. Possibly a BIOS upgrade. I'd call...might be a known issue on that series. If it requires repair..they overnight a box to you to put the laptop in, to ship it back to them for repair.
    Yeah thought of the same thing, i called my local support for ibm, so I'm waiting for their response. They told me that maybe it's a BIOS issue, cause the power switching is a bios related thing.

Anyway tnx a lot m8.
    i'll write the solution as soon as they give me one

I've been having alot of issues with my new T60.

I've had the exact same random shut down issue, also I've been having an issue where the laptop itself won't turn on at all, it will start to cycle up then just stop.

When the laptop is in working order it will often freeze if I remove a network cable or unplug the AC power.

Already had the processor, motherboard and hard drive replaced on it, I've had it for 5 weeks now and it seems as though its been in for repairs more than I've had it available for work so far!

Thank god its a company laptop and not my own or I'd be returning it for a full refund at this point.

Post Thinkpad t60 unexpected shutdown bios v. 2.21

T60 Running XP, latest patches, bios v. 2.21 (2008-02) Boot it up log in, begin working and within a few poof, no juice...dead. Wait a few minutes, boot up, log in, wash, rinse, repeat...frustrating nothing in the os logs to indicate the cause, it's like it was plugged into ac without a battery pack and the electricity went out...called support, the atl office said to delete my profile...?...no joy...anyone have the fix?