Thread: No Uninstall Option on "Add/Remove Programs"

No Uninstall Option on "Add/Remove Programs"

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your help.

When I go into the Control Panel and click on the "Add/Remove Programs", none of them in the list have the option to uninstall. Moreover not all the programs appear in the list

From the little search I did, I think that I must have deleted the unistall entries in my PC's. (PS: to cut a long story short, I followed some instructions to completely uninstall "Picture Show 4" which was freezing repeatedly. Part of those instructions included deleting files under regedit and I think this is where I must have done something wrong).

If this is the reason, can someone please tell me if the damage is reversible? And if not what are my options?

I know I'm not an expert and I shouldn't be messing with regedit, but that program was driving me mad and I had to do something.

I would appreciate any advice here.

Thanks a lot

When you click on an entry in add/remove programs there is no "change/remove" box on the right side?

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

Install that and run the the Issues scan and the cleaner.

For the stuff not in add/remove, about all you can do is delete the folder of the program that you dont want.

Then in the start menu, go to run and type in msconfig, hit enter and go to the startup tab and look for entries for the program you dont want and uncheck them.

If your not sure about an entry ask here before you delete it, you dont want to get rid of somethign you want. in the path if your deleting picture show 4 it should show the folder name somewhere in there.

Hi YARDofSTUF,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have just managed to sit down and look at my problem again since posting last night. I followed your instructions, downloaded and installed CCleaner.

Under the option Cleaner I hit the "analyse" button and then "Run Cleaner" and did the smae under the "Issues" option.

When I went back into the Control Panel, the only button that allows me to uninstall is the recently installed CCleaner and all the other programs are as before; i.e. no uninstall option.

Am I doing something wrong?

Under tools in ccleaner, are the other programs on your puter listed, if so can you uninstall them from there.
    It sounds as if you have removed all uninstall info from your comp, if so that would likely be irriversable, unless you do a backup from an earlier date

Chris,

You are correct. Under the "Tools" option in CCleaner, I can see all the programs that I have installed on my PC with an option to uninstall them. One final thing.

I thought that this program would be able to recover the deleted entries from my Uninstall folder in the Regedit. I guess from what you are telling me I have to assume that this is not the case and this program cannot do that. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by GPTT
    Chris,

You are correct. Under the "Tools" option in CCleaner, I can see all the programs that I have installed on my PC with an option to uninstall them. One final thing.

I thought that this program would be able to recover the deleted entries from my Uninstall folder in the Regedit. I guess from what you are telling me I have to assume that this is not the case and this program cannot do that. Is this correct?

Ya its not gonna recover the deleted entries, but with the program folder of the program you want deleted the issues section can remove some of the junk left behind from the, improper uninstall.

You can try using ccleaners uninstall option, but odds are that wont work since you cant see them in control panel's add/remove

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Ya its not gonna recover the deleted entries, but with the program folder of the program you want deleted the issues section can remove some of the junk left behind from the, improper uninstall.

You can try using ccleaners uninstall option, but odds are that wont work since you cant see them in control panel's add/remove
    YOS thanks for your help, but now I'm confused. I thought that CCleaner would allow me to uninstall programs that I cannot through the "Control Panel" as I don't have the remove option anymore.

I thought that by going into Issues, highlighting the program I want to uninstall and hitting the "run the uninstaller" the program would be removed from my PC. Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by GPTT
    I thought that by going into Issues, highlighting the program I want to uninstall and hitting the "run the uninstaller" the program would be removed from my PC. Is this not the case?
    It may be possible, try it. It depends how the uninstaller works.

With the entries missing in add/remove programs odds are they wont uninstall, and so if they wont, all you can really do is manually delete the program.

The problem with that is that it leaves files in the windows or system32 folder and registry entries behind. Files arent really a big deal since hard drives are so big these days, but you dont want a bloated registry, and the issues section on ccleaner will clean out the registry.

YOS,

Thank you for the additional information. Things are making more sense now and I can understand your comment in your original reply about manually deleting the program.

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks again for all your input.

If you make a list of the programs that appear in Ccleaner, you can reinstal each one, this will rebuild the uninstal registry, then uninstall will work for each one you reinstall

Tks Chris, although this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid at the moment since the thought of installing all the various software programs I currently have on my PC is not a very pleasant one.

I guess the fact that if I want to uninstall a program I can do that manually and then run the Uninstaller in the Issues section of CCleaner, should be ok for me.