Thread: DSL Connection Problem and Phone Filters

DSL Connection Problem and Phone Filters

I was wondering if a DSL connection would be affected if the phone filters were installed improperly. I just helped my uncle fix his internet connection and it seemed like the problem was because the phone filters were installed incorrectly. His internet connection wasn't working for the past 2 days, so I decided to check the phone filters and they were installed wrong. So I fixed them and the internet started working.

The thing that confuses me was that the phone filters were installed incorrectly way before this problem. I didn't installed them, I'm guessing it was my uncle. But, the DSL connection was working even though the phone filters were installed incorrectly.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the DSL connection would not work if the phone filters were installed improperly.

Thanks!
    *Space For Rent*

Having same prob having 2 re-disk system,broadband box updating from supplier,nearly 1nce a week,BT installed broadband on pole.still not sure.

Yes it will affect it. Mainly when a call is coming in or going out. Maybe he had added another filter wrong and that set it off?

I'm having the same problem, but its only when I try using the phone at the same time. I just checked all the phone filters, replaced the main jack that I use as it looked burned out, and removed the one in my sister's room because it had been painted over and even inside it a little. The problem still persists. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by malo81
    I'm having the same problem, but its only when I try using the phone at the same time. I just checked all the phone filters, replaced the main jack that I use as it looked burned out, and removed the one in my sister's room because it had been painted over and even inside it a little. The problem still persists. Can anyone help?
    Install new filters, if you have one phone line and several telephones, make sure you have put filters everywhere, because if (for example) you have two phones on a same line and one filter at one phone it will cause problems, either with the Dsl or Pots. So, two phones=two filters, three phones=three filters.

I guess I've been of help to you!

If you have 4 or MORE phones on one line you must install a splitter at the phone box.

Question

What about a fax machine? I have my fax machine hooked on the same line as one of my telephones would this cause problems? I seem to be getting a reverberation whenever I pickup my telephone and like hold it face down on a surface as though you were picking it up to answer it.What is all that about?
    Could it be that I need to move my fax machine further from my telephone?

All telephone devices such as phones, fax machines, answering machines, dial-up modems, home security systems, and so forth need a filter. Be sure you don't put a filter on the line going to your DSL modem, however, as this will cause problems.

Lightbulb

Why heck, that's the way my DSL has been hooked up since I've had it. With a filter on the modem line that is. Well bless. Man, I knew something wasn't right but heck even the phone Technician didn't say anything about it when he check it out. Well, I can't exactly be mad at him cause he gave me a free network card. So, you'll didn't hear that from me. I thank you for that bit of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkina
    Why heck, that's the way my DSL has been hooked up since I've had it. With a filter on the modem line that is. Well bless. Man, I knew something wasn't right but heck even the phone Technician didn't say anything about it when he check it out. Well, I can't exactly be mad at him cause he gave me a free network card. So, you'll didn't hear that from me. I thank you for that bit of info.
    Your welcome. Glad I could help. Why the phone Tech didn't tell you not to put a filter on the modem line is beyond me. That's usually one of the first things they check on, as its a pretty common mistake.

Yes if you installed any DSL filters on or in between the DSL modem and the wall. Do not filter the DSL modem.