Thread: Small Bus. Server 2003 setup with static IP

Question Small Bus. Server 2003 setup with static IP

First, i am a complete "forum virgin"! So any ettiquete mistakes i make, please point them out.
    My Dell server crashed last week and i had to re-install the OS (Small Business Server 2003 that came with the server). Set up is pretty simple except when i try to connect to internet.
    At the same time all my server problems were happening, i received my Speedstram 6300 router from my ISP along with a static IP...now the wheels start falling off the golf cart...
    My LAN is very basic:
    ISP=>Speedstream 6300=>4 ethernet ports to 4 computers (one of the 4 being the Dell Server running SBS 2003)
    All computers connect to Shared folders that are on a common workgroup, on server. Basically i'm using the Dell server (incorrectly?) as another computer that happens to run SBS 2003. I have a linksys wrv54g VPN wireless router too. I need to be able to connect to my files while on the road. Which is the only reason i upgraded to a static ip in the first place!
    I have contacted Microsoft and my ISP. I am too polite to share my satisfaction level with the help i have received!
    I have 2 family businesses here in my office and we have been at a standstill for over a week now. My father, who has never even tried to turn on a computer let alone understand one, wants to go back to using pop cans and strings to communicate!
    Does my server need to hand out the ip adresses on my lan or the Speedstream?
    At this moment, the only way for me to connect to internet is to:
    ISP=>Speedstream 6300=>linksys vpn router (via Speedstream WAN/LAN port to liksys internet 'in' port) =>4 ethernet ports on linksys => 4 computers on my LAN (1 being the server)....

Sorry for long, confusing message! But anyone with the ability to point me in the right direction would put me back in my father's will !

thanks, Craig
    Craig

I would configure your setup as such:

ISP > Speedstream 6300 > Linksys VPN router > 4 computers & server

1. The Speedstream 6300 is most likely a router & modem all-in-one (hence the 4 LAN ports). What you need to do is tell the Speedstream to NOT act as a router; therefore you need to go into the router's configuration utility and set it to "bridged" mode so that it does not use NAT (Network Address Translation) to firewall your network at that point. You want the Linksys to act as the firewall instead of the Speedstream, which basically means you have to tell the Speedstream to just pass the static IP onto the Linksys instead. Usually a call to your ISP can put you in touch with a support person that can walk you through setting up "bridged" mode in case you have trouble configuring the Speedstream on your own.

2. Disable DHCP on both the Speedstream & Linksys. This is something you want to install and configure on the server, along with DNS.

3. Log into the Linksys and setup the WAN port to receive it's IP from DHCP. This is not the DHCP service you will be using on your LAN, but rather you're just telling the router to go out and check for a DHCP server from your ISP which in turn will typically hand off your static public IP address to the Linksys. When this is complete and the WAN port receives your static IP, it should be displayed on the setup page of your Linksys WAN connection and you are now ready to focus your attention more towards the server in order to finish getting the LAN setup.

4. Install and configure DHCP & DNS on your server. For some tips check out YeOldeStonecat's server network guide:

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

Any other questions at this point, just post away.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    A couple of things...I pretty much agree with Kolds reply above...
    The 6300 unit you got from your ISP...take a PC or a laptop, connect to it..and have your ISP walk you through flipping it onto "bridged" mode...you want to turn it into a pure modem...no NAT...no PPPoE. You want your Linksys to do those 2. Make sure you have your PPPoE username and password.

There's usually a yellow sticker on the bottom of the Speedstreams..having it's LAN IP address, usually 192.168.0.1, and the serial number which will be your password. Configure a workstation or PC to have an IP address of 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0. You don't need a gateway or DNS just to get to the web admin of the Speed. Flip it to bridged mode...usually on Speeds...on the menu on the left, Advanced, Connection Configuration...

When done...flip your computers IP back to obtain auto. Plug Speed into WAN/Internet port of your router. Plus your PCs into the LAN port of your router.

I'm assuming you'll take the default LAN IP range for the Linksys..however if you wish to VPN from "the road/home" a lot..it may be better to change the default IP range to something like 192.168.10.xxx. In which you'd substitute that 3rd octet in the below examples.

Now on your SBS box...go to the network properties..set the TCP/IP to 192.168.1.11/255.255.255.0 Gateway is 192.168.1.1, DNS is 192.168.1.11 (itself), WINS is 192.168.1.11 (itself).

Now...log into the Linksys...disable DHCP service on it. And configure it for PPPoE on the WAN interface..entering your use/pass. Maintain connection. Set MTU to 1492.

Now on your SBS box...run the ICW (Internet Connection Wizard).

Upgrade firmware on the wrv54g router...prior versions were a bit buggy...overall it's not been a very successful router series. I do recommend a Linksys RV0 series router if VPN is important to you.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Many Thanks!

Gentlemen, Thank you so much for your help! I am going to attempt your suggestions this afternoon.
    FYI: ISP 'sugested' that their hdwr router portion may be faulty! The guy was very nice and helpful; i had him on the phone so i figured i would get his input.
    He reset the Speedstream to factory default, then:

ISP=>Speedstream=>WAN/LAN port on Speedstream=>Internet port on Linksys=>4 linksys ports out to my LAN

What we didn't do is bridge the Speedstream and subsequent instructions from you guys. At this point (10-15 calls), i think he just wanted me to have some form of internet connectivity!

Again, YeOldeStonecat and koldchillah, i cannot express enough how pleased i am with your help. It is very refreshing to know that the world wide web/internet is not just full of spammers, hackers, scammers and arses. It is moments like these that my faith in mankind is renewed...now I have to go drive in rainy, Toronto traffic which, of course, will negate all my feelings of brotherly love, kindness, yadda, yadda, yadda !
    I'll let you know how things go!! Remember to keep your head up and your stick on the ice at all times...
    Craig

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    BTW.....not that we don't want to help..but if this server is yours to take care of....bookmark..
    http://www.smallbizserver.net/

...and sign up for a subscription. BEST SBS site out there. Great articles, how to's, forums, etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!