Thread: SATA Support Question

SATA Support Question

I have a Compaq Presario SR1030NX Desktop PC. My motherboard, an ASUS A7V8X-LA, has connections for an SATA drive. The BIOS, however, makes no mention of SATA support. Can I update the BIOS to add this support? I have documentation that also lists this as a ASUS A7V8Z-LA.
    Last edited by macdonal_unicous; 06-26-06 at 07:40 PM.

Same exact problem... anyone know how to fix this?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

A7V8X-LA (Compaq) SATA Ports

I have an Asus A7V8X-LA Motherboard in a Compaq S6000CL. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the BIOS is not designed to support these ports for use with SATA hard drives. They will however work like a charm with SATA optical disk drives. Sorry folks. My solution was a Promise TX2Plus 300, since it seems to be one of the few non-RAID SATA PCI controller cards out there with 3gb/s support at this time. If you’re just looking for 1.5gb/s, you can get off a lot cheaper than that, with prices starting around $15.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1030NX Desktop PC. My motherboard, an ASUS A7V8X-LA, has connections for an SATA drive. The BIOS, however, makes no mention of SATA support. Can I update the BIOS to add this support? I have documentation that also lists this as a ASUS A7V8Z-LA.
    I recently installed an eSATA adapter to the SATA1 port in this computer, and then installed an external SATA drive to the adapter. Everything worked fine without official BIOS support after the external drive was formatted in another computer.

(I think it may be possible to format from the Compaq Presario too, via the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management program. Right click on the new drive, "initialize" it, and quick format it. This may work, I don't know.)

Darn, just saw how old this thread was.

A7V8X-LA (Compaq) SATA Ports

I found the resolution to this issue.. and since this comes up on google I thought I'd put this here for anyone that has this problem in the future..

The A7V8X-LA motherboard is compatible with SATA I hard drives only.. If you purchase a SATA II drive make sure to check the manufacture website / manual and set the jumper speed so the drive is able to operate at 1.5Gb/s.

Also make sure you are running the 3.15 version of the bios.

The bios is restricted as to what SATA options you can set.

A7V8X-LA Motherboard BIOS Update

Here's the Bios 3.15 version link :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...tem=pv-31037-2

However, you won't find any change with respect to sata options.