Thread: VPN and Router problems

VPN and Router problems

I just got a new router, a Belkin F5D7633uk4A

I have it connected to 2 pcs at home which works fine, apart from the occasional disconnect which I can live with.

As I work from home I have a laptop that I recieve work emails through a VPN.

Im not that hot on networking but I am unable to connect to my VPN through the router and it's causing me major problems as in effect I can't work from home (office is 250 miles away!!).

I know the laptop is fine and I know the router is fine, so Im putting it down to a port forwarding issue or something with the router.

The problem is I know I need to forward some ports but I have no idea which, and even I knew how to do this Im not so sure of how I set this up on the router interface screen, i've done endless searches on the net and not found anything of use, I've also contacted Belkin direct and they werent much help either, as for my IT dept at work...forget it!

I know the router is seeing the pc as when I connect the cat5 cable there is an orange light on the router meaning it can detect the network but unless that light goes green like it has done on my other 2 pc's I have no connectability.

The strange thing is when I connect the laptop and the router together, my VPN password box comes up but when I enter my password it cannot connect, neither can I view anyweb pages.

I just wondered if anyone has an ideas of what I need to do and how to set up the port forwarding.
    Also when I do, do I need to set this up via the router interface on my home pc or does this need to be done on the laptop, I don't actually think I can access the router screen from my laptop however.

If anyone could shed any light I'd sure be grateful really don't fancy the 500 mile round trip daily to the office !!!!

I actually had to do that the other day as I thought it might be a good idea to take it off the work domain....turned out to be not such a good idea as all the local passwords were then wiped and IT has to reinstall everything.

Thanks in advance

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You generally don't have to open/forward ports on your own router...to VPN from that routers protected network...out across the internet to another network.

First...does you offices network have a functional VPN..that's been tested before..and is working from other than your home?

Generally you want to make sure your router has the most recent firmware installed

In most routers...there is a section to which deals with "VPN Passthrough"...both PPTP, and IPSec. (those are the 2x common types of VPN). Some brands have these enabled by default, others don't. I can't remember what Belkin does..but you make want to poke around your routers web admin...and look for those.

PPTP uses Windows native VPN dialer..IPSec is more corporate...usually you use a 3rd party VPN dialer like Cisco or Sonicwall, etc

Lastly, your home network cannot be the same IP range as your office. Meaning, if your office is 192.168.1.xxx..and your home network is also 192.168.1.xxx...no go. Must change one of them...make it something like 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx, etc. Easily done..log into the router..change the LAN IP...save settings..reboot your machine(s) to pickup the new IP.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for that

well I spoke to Belkin online and they dont have a vpn pass through, he did say find the ports you need to open for the VPN and then add them in the Virtual Servers with the ip address of my laptop and it should work.

Now I just need to find which ports I need to open? any ideas where I could get this

I can confirm the VPN is working at other locations from the office too.

Ok I decided to move away from the wired option and went for the wireless solution.

I have my laptop connected wirelessly with an "excellent signal" and currently no encryption, but the weird thing is my laptop is doing exactly the same thing. It wont let me view a webpage and I cant access my VPN remotley.

Im confused now as if I use standard dial up I can connect straight away no problem.

I cant access the belkin the from my laptop either so I have no idea what is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by kinkladze10
    Thanks for that

well I spoke to Belkin online and they dont have a vpn pass through, he did say find the ports you need to open for the VPN and then add them in the Virtual Servers with the ip address of my laptop and it should work.

Now I just need to find which ports I need to open? any ideas where I could get this

I can confirm the VPN is working at other locations from the office too.
    I think the support guy was confused...I've ran a Belkin router at home for months testing it...I VPN'd out to my office and clients just fine using several different VPN types.

You only open/forward ports for VPN (such as port 1723 for PPTP VPN) when you run a VPN server behind your router...so that people from across the internet can connect to your VPN server.

Allowing PPTP pass through is totall different, it's not related to port forwarding at all. What it is, is allowing a certain type of VPN traffic (IP type 47 GRE) to pass "unmolested" by NAT. VPN traffic does not like to pass through NAT..which is what common broadband routers do as their means of sharing that single IP address, and it also provides basic hardware firewall protection from the outside in.

What type of VPN do you use? Native Windows? Or 3rd party?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Without VPN'ing...can you just surf the internet fine from the router?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Right thanks

The VPN is a cisco systems thing, its an orange and grey box that pops up and I have to put my password in.

At the time of testing I couldnt surf the net, however I went into the connection settings in the Lan options and took it off "use proxy server" and it will now connect with that option off when its set automatically detect.

I still cannot access my emails from my work server though through the VPN and thats whats so annoying.

Yeah I used Cisco fine from my home when I was testing the Belkin.

Anyways...most VPN setups, for security purposes, do not allow you to "surf the net" while connected to the company VPN. It's a security risk. That's fairly standard.

How do you check your e-mail? Web Access? Or e-mail client? Setup details?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

When I was using my speedtouch modem I was fine to suft, email etc all whislst on the VPN

Now Ive moved and have the router they will let me do anything but I just cant get the router through to the server at work.

So this is the problem, I cant check my work emails.
    I use Outlook once connected to the VPN , I can now surf as I have taken it off the proxy server settings but I was hoping there was something I can configure on the Belkin to get through to the VPN.

its certainly the router as I can connect fine to the VPN by 56k modem but thats no good when I need to recieve a 5mb email!

Are there any settings that I should be using to allow it get through, ports etc?

I just my router to give it full access so I can recieve work emails etc

Does your Cisco VPN client "appear" to connect fine? You click Connect...enter your password when prompted..then it usually pops down into your systray as that little gold padlock icon...showing you as connected.

Outlook connects to an Exchange server?

What is the LAN IP range of your office?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The Cisco does appear to work, box pops up I enter password then it dissapears as normal but just cant connect.

I did noticed a red flashing dash over the VPN icon in the tray which ive never seen before, must mean theres a block on it somewhere.

Im not 100% sure about the Lan but I do know its nowhere near my router

When you talked with the Belkin support...did they ensure you have the latest firmware installed? Took at peek at Belkins site..there's a firmware dated 01/11/2006
    http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...A&lang=1&mode=

Peeking at the manual...it indeed does appear to not have a section to control PPTP/IPSec passthrough.

This appears to be a combination DSL modem and router, correct?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi I did ask them about firmware and the guy said dont update it unless you have a specific problem.

On the modem settings and manual I cannot find anything to do with this the PPTP pass through.
    the description I have is ADSL modem with high speed mode/ Wireless G

Cant fault the modem for speed and stability just super fed up I cant the VPN to pass through.
    Not sure where to find my current firmware revision to see if that is an actual update?

Hi I did ask them about firmware and the guy said dont update it unless you have a specific problem.

Not sure where to find my current firmware revision to see if that is an actual update?
    I'd say no VPN passthrough is a problem..you can usually find your current firmware version on the main setup page of the web admin.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

the guy I spoke to said I would need to find my VPN ports and forward them and all would be good. Guess not.

Are are either of these any good

Edimax Wireless Super-G 108MBps ADSL/2/2 + Modem Router with 4 Port Switch + WAN

Sweex Wireless ADSL Modem Router 54Mbps - CC400020UK

the guy I spoke to said I would need to find my VPN ports and forward them and all would be good. Guess not.
    Well if you wanted to test that....take your computer and put it in the DMZ. That opens up all 65,000 plus ports that your system has.

Ya know what though? Try this first...try turning off the extra firewall on that Belkin. Curious if it's hosting the VPN somehow.

I have not heard of those other 2x brands. I've not even seen this model of Belkin you have...over here in the States.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ok I tried the DMZ at least I thought I did, had to do it all from my host pc but I enabled it and still couldnt get through to the VPN

The manual is terrible for information

I had a look at the settings and I have no idea how to take off the firewall on the router
    I tried to access the belkin page from my laptop but it says its administered from my host pc here so would have to do it on this pc.

Still cant find the version of firmware that its using and I've clicked on every option but there is nothing that will let me take of the routers own firewall ?

right just got out of hospital after breaking my wrist

ordered a new d-link router with a specific vpn pass through will let u know how that goes

Been reading this string with interest. I have the same problem with a Belkin router. VPN connects, files can be downloaded and company drives accessed, but Outlook email says it cannot find the server. IT guy says "If you are on VPN, you can access email." Only problem is that isn't true - I m on vPN and cannot access email. Tried new firmware, disabled firewall - no dice. Take belkin out of loop, and email connects and works fine, so the peoblem is in router. But whAT that problem is....

Quote Originally Posted by pastorjay1 View Post
    Been reading this string with interest. I have the same problem with a Belkin router. VPN connects, files can be downloaded and company drives accessed, but Outlook email says it cannot find the server. IT guy says "If you are on VPN, you can access email." Only problem is that isn't true - I m on vPN and cannot access email. Tried new firmware, disabled firewall - no dice. Take belkin out of loop, and email connects and works fine, so the peoblem is in router. But whAT that problem is....
    HI PastorJay1,

It has been a long time but I am wondering if you were ever able to identify the Belkin VPN problem.
    I am having a similar problem with LotusNotes.

Thanks for any help !