Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comcast / Motorola sb5100 cable modem dropping connection...

sgoldman@eatonhall.com

Re: Comcast / Motorola sb5100 cable modem dropping connectio

I had Comcast out this week for my chronic connectivity issues.
    The tech said the Motorola modems (mine's a Surfboard 5100) are set to
    shut themselves off at 54dB upstream. When the upstream power is high,
    says my tech, the problem is at the pole and Comcast needs to come out
    and 'rebalance' their side. So while going to a tap (good suggestion!)
    or disconnecting your splitter will buy you a few dB to stay online,
    you need to get Comcast out there to do their side of the pole.

I demanded a second cable drop (a dedicated coax run from the pole to
    my modem, separate from the TV cable into my house) last year when I
    had similarly frustrating cable issues.

The good news: Verizon is wiring my neighborhood (Livingston, NJ) for
    fiber-to-the-house, and should be turning on the switch for their
    verizonfios service here in the next two months, according to the techs
    working on the street. As soon as that happens, it's goodbye Comcast
    for me. Say what you will about the phone company, but my dial tone
    never drops, and my cable is out at least twice a month. Ciao,
    Comcast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seyeklopz
    My connection cuts out every 5 -50 minutes or never, depending on time of day. It only cuts out for 10 seconds or so, but it's hell when I'm trying to play World of Warcraft.

Rogers Extreme Speed Cable Internet (6Mbit/1Mbit), Motorola Surfboard

Frequency 615000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
    Power Level -1 dB
    Channel ID 3
    Frequency 31296000 Hz Ranged
    Power Level 39 dBmV
    Frequency Plan: North American Standard/HRC/IRC
    Upstream Channel ID: 3
    Frequency (Hz): 615000000
    DHCP Server Enabled
    1970-01-01 00:00:30 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical 0x04E33948 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    2006-08-01 05:58:36 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    2006-08-01 05:58:25 3-Critical 0x04E33A10 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
    2006-08-01 05:58:10 3-Critical 0x0501BE90 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
    2006-08-01 05:40:21 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    2006-08-01 05:40:18 3-Critical 0x040D9964 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    2006-08-01 05:40:04 3-Critical 0x04E33A10 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
    2006-08-01 05:39:46 3-Critical 0x0501BE90 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
    2006-07-31 17:07:53 5-Warning 0x040DC13C DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
    1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    2006-07-25 17:09:06 3-Critical 0x0501BD64 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

Is it bad modem, or problem with service?
    I'm having the exact same problem. Motorola SB5120 modem, Comcast high-speed. Getting randomly disconnected. Sometimes I play for an hour or more without problems. Others, I lag badly and get disconnected several times an hour. If you've had any luck fixing it, please let me know.

I'm going to try some of the ideas listed earlier in the thread (moving the modem away from the outlet and the outlet strip and also putting a fan on it). I'm also going to go the address listed earlier and see what kind of results I get. I will post them when I get home. I'd love to get this taken care of. It is extremely frustrating when trying to play with others online.

Same problem using my sunrocket VOIP phone

I am having similar issue.. I am using Motorola SB5120 modem, Comcast high-speed

While using my sunrocket voip phone, the phone goes silent for about 10-15 seconds for every 30 sec.. this is really frustating as I can hear the other party speaking but they cannot hear me speaking.. clearly, the downstream is fine but the problem with upstream...
    here are my settings:

Downstream Value
    ===================
    Frequency 709784000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
    QAM QAM256
    Network Access Control Object ON
    Power Level 4 dBmV
    The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    =================
    Channel ID 8
    Frequency 24000000 Hz
    Ranging Service ID 961
    Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
    Power Level 48 dBmV

Appreciate any help in debugging this issue..

In addition to my previous post, I am using Motorola SB5120 modem, Comcast high-speed

Motorola SB5120 modem, Comcast high-speed.

hi everyone, i found this site through google, and to be honest i seem to be having the same issues as everyone else in this thread...there seem to be alot of knowledgable people here so hopefully you can help me out

in the thread i read where to get the modem signal information, and this is what i got

Frequency 693000000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
    QAM QAM256
    Power Level -2 dBmV

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 2
    Frequency 32000000 Hz
    Ranging Service ID 1797
    Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
    Power Level 50 dBmV

i know absolutely NOTHING about cable or anything like that, all i know is that when i'm surfing the web, it'll just stop transferring, and when i play online, in my case WoW, i'll just stay there lagging, but everyone else is moving normal and whatnot. and my ping will go through the roof...from about 200ms to 2500-7500ms

cable has been great to me until about a month ago...i dont' want to go back to dsl :'(

any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

I do this all day...

Both your upstream and downstream are borderline too high and low, respectively.

Downstream should be between -15 and +15
    Upstream (bare minimum) should be anywhere from mid thirties to AS HIGH AS 58 but 58 is pushing it depending on the cable standards for your server, so really it should be slightly lower.

Also the internet requires a TON of signal and it needs to be perfect - the line going to the modem should be split NO MORE THAN once.

Buy a two way splitter and split the line coming into the house. put one split to the modem, and then run the other split to your 4 way and split that to your tvs. That way your cable modem gets 50% of the signal coming into your house at all times.

Also, make sure you are using rg6 cabling and high quality splitters.

Quote Originally Posted by bbassett6
    I bought a new computer for my wife and the trouble still existied so I bought a new SB520 surf cable modem. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on its own when ever it pleases.

Downstream Value
    Frequency 591000000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio 31 dB
    QAM 256
    Power Level -15 dBmV

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 4
    Frequency 34000000 Hz
    Ranging Service ID 4009
    Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
    Power Level 58 dBmV

I guess this falls into the shouting upstream as well. I have the cable coming in toa 4 way split to different rooms. Out of the living room of one leg, is another split going to TV and cable modem. I am going to try to get rid of a split and see if it gets better.

Motorola SB5120 - sporadic connection problems

I am noticing that my internet connection is sporadic.
    All of a sudden I would be surfing the net and the would get a page not available error. I would start downloading a file that is about 500MB - and then would noticed that I get - connect reset to server.

My VoIP quality is horrendous as I often have the problem that I can hear the other person, but they cannot hear me, and vice versa.

I checked the routers info:

Downstream Value
    Frequency 561000000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB
    QAM QAM256
    Power Level 7 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 12
    Frequency 28300000 Hz
    Ranging Service ID 2854
    Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
    Power Level 42 dBmV

Can anyone tell me if these are within acceptable range?

Thanks!

Frequency 591000000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB
    QAM QAM256
    Power Level 0 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 3
    Frequency 19000000 Hz
    Ranging Service ID 6192
    Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
    Power Level 55 dBmV

Get some major packet loss every few minutes.
    The line is split only once with an ar 2 way splitter.
    I have tested it just one machine connected to the modem.
    Time to change modems? any suggestions?

I am having the same problems with my Surfboard modem. When it gets up to 55dm upload, my internet will crash...

What should I do? Its been happening for many months now, and I can't get it fixed. Their techs have come out about 5 times in 2 months, and its still not fixed...

Help??

I've been having the same issues as everyone else in this thread, sadly.

TimeWarner RoadRunner HighSpeed Internet.
    My connection drops anywhere from every 5 minutes, to once every 5 hours. Also, it may stay disconnected (even through the text-book hard resets) from 15 seconds to 6 hours at a time. It's even worse then the latter of the two scenarios happen 2-3 times a day...

I've had the Time Warner Techs out here 9 times in the past 2 months. They've diagnosed the problem as everything from a bunk splitter, bad modem, internal house wiring, etc. So far it's never been anything on 'their' end...

Today I had a tech come out, test the levels etc. All was well at the time. He ran a 'dedicated' line to the modem. After he left, I found out that it wasn't dedicated. He just moved the splitter from the upstairs attic (our little phone/cable wiring hub), to the box outside! I was under the impression the new line was meant to be connected at the pole 20 feet from my back porch.

Diagnostics are as follows!

Downstream Value
    Frequency 597000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio 32 dB
    Power Level 0 dBmV
    The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 2
    Frequency 31984000 Hz Ranged
    Power Level 51 dBmV

Time Priority Code Message
    2007-08-03 16:01:33 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    1970-01-01 00:00:16 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    1970-01-01 00:00:09 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    1970-01-01 00:00:24 3-Critical R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
    1970-01-01 00:00:11 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    1970-01-01 00:04:29 3-Critical R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
    1970-01-01 00:04:08 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:04:07 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    1970-01-01 00:04:07 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:04:07 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    1970-01-01 00:04:07 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:04:06 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    1970-01-01 00:04:06 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:04:00 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    1970-01-01 00:03:59 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    (This continues on and on and on)

-------

Just got off the telephone with a 'Technical support team leader" at TimeWarner. I was refused an account credit, even though the log showed I had lost a connection for a total of 240 hours in the past month! Naturally, I was told to calm down and refrain from cursing.

So, could any evaluate my above diagnostics for me? It would be so appriciated, as I'm extremely worn out right now. Can't keep track of my thoughts long enough to go over them myself.
    Last edited by xazurianx; 08-03-07 at 06:11 PM. Reason: grammar

Hello,
    This is very frustating , Go buy AMP from home depot and add it to main line, you will be happy as ever.
    Thanks

I've replaced all splitters, reran the cable from the outside hub to the modem, etc. I noticed that in my modem log, neither the upstream or downstream frequency is "Locked" or "Ranged", as they should. If I understand correctly, unless they are locked and ranged, the levels are all but valid. At the moment I'm trying to determine how to lower my upstream levels from a capped 58dBmV, to around a 50 or less. The trick? All of this done without recontacting my local Cableco office AGAIN.

The last tech to visit came yesterday, and told us since they were so stumped (entry level techs here. No significant knowledge other than running coax), it must be something we're doing horribly wrong, and that they would not provide us with any more cable, another splitter, another test, or another modem until we fix the problem. In essence: they are extremely lazy and don't want to take the time to find the issue.

About splitters and cable co.

I've been reading alot of threads about cable signal time outs and splitters. Here is what I've been experiencing for the past 4 months. It all started in June 2007, my connection started going on and off, sometimes staying off for hours at a time. I called the cable service dept and was told that they were seeing no problems. I should point out that I am in Arkansas and the cable service dept is in Kansas. The tech did a supposed signal check of my modem and said the signal was not being recieved. (duh, I thought) The tech suggested that I reboot my modem, which I had done several times before calling. When that didn't help, he suggested that I connect my modem directly, also of which I had already done before calling. This still didn't help and in the process of reconnecting everything, the modem decided to connect, which the tech promptly alerted me to the fact that the modem was online again, and said if I need anything more to just call. 1st call, no real help. (my cat could have been better help) Second call to the tech dept was 3 days later. Cable connection was still doing the same thing. This tech had me do the same things as the one before. After all that, the tech said they would send a field tech to my home to look at the problem. Field tech came one week later. He tested my modem(was good), my cabling and connections(were also good) and did a line test. He determined that the problem was in the line coming to my home, and said they would have a line tech come out and look at the problem.(no line tech ever showed). Third call was 2 weeks after tech visit, same old song and dance, they arrainged for a tech to visit in 3 days. This tech was more accomidating than the first, he first replaced the standard, run of the mill, splitter that came with the cable modem with an Antronix 5-1000MHz (old one was 5-900MHz) two-way splitter (-3.5dB on both outputs) model # CMC2002H-A. Also he replaced my cables and put newer and better connectors on the existing cables. He also advised me to not run the cable going to my modem through my surge protector. He also did line tests and determined the same as the first tech, problem in cable co. lines. He called in for a line tech, but one never showed. Time elapsed, about a month and a half, and still paying full price for nothing(as in not getting cable service) Forth call, 2 months after initial call, and after complaining in person to the cable billing office. I'll spare you the details and just say that they sent another tech to my home. This tech looked over all the cabling and connectors(the ones that the previous tech made and installed) and did a line test on them as well as my modem.(he found no probs with any of that) He replaced the splitter(which was just replaces about 2 weeks prior) with an Antronix model # CMCDT2106T-A tap(not splitter) output -120dB RFI, 5-1000MHz. This model has an in, an out and a tap(tap is for TV). He also determined that the main cable line coming to my home was the problem, he schedualed a line tech, but one never showed. Fifth and final call, after once again complaining in person to billing dept.(this time I finally got some satisfaction) They gave me a discount on my August bill(half cost), and did not charge me for September(still waiting for October bill). Forth and final tech that was sent to my house did most of the line tests on the lines outside of my home, he also said the prob was with the main cable line, mostly the amplifier box on the pole just before my home. Should I say it, no line tech has come out to look at or fix it as of yet. What does this all come down to? 3 different types of splitters(2splitters and a tap), new cabling and connections, 4 field techs, yet problem not solved. What is my cable company? Cox cable. What do I think of them? Before this, thought very highly of them, after all this, wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. Just to let you know, I'm no novice, I'm a Certified Electronics Technician(I passed the test with high marks), a certified computer service tech, and have an Associates of Applied Science degree in Electronics Technology. I also have a Bacholors degree in industial operations and certificates in PLCs(Programable Logic Controlers), motor drive systems, industrial electronics, and industrial maintenance. I hope that the rest of you get better satisfaction with getting your connection problems fixed than I have had with mine. SpeedGuide, please mark down another negetive vote against Cox Communications.

Thank you all for letting me vent my frustration.

P.S. I should point out that before the installation of the CMCDT2106T-A tap, I was getting this error all the time, 1970-01-01 00:04:08 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing. With the tap, I no longer get that error.
    Last edited by couchmiester; 09-28-07 at 06:57 AM. Reason: new info

Well, I don't feel so alone.

I'm posting from work, so I don't have my numbers and logs in front of me, but since the numbers don't seem to be getting anyone anywhere, I don't see that it matters.

I'm with Rogers in Toronto, only been since mid-July '08.
    Problem started right away; online, slow to stop, then blinking lights.
    Power cycle works sometimes, Rogers Tech said to power cycle and reseat the coax to "clear the line", which works, but is a royal pain to execute 4-5 times a day.
    Had tech guy in the other day, said i had bad splitter, installed new one "this one has a chip in it!". Gave his personal guarantee that the problem would go away (but not his cell #). Problem persists. Call Rogers, they notice the modem is offline, have me go through the reset procedure and say "there you go, you're online now". So I tell them that I don't really feel like calling in every time it goes down, but I will, and currently their "always on" advertising message is a little short of the truth. So we go through the whole setup, I say I think there's an intermittent problem at the hub outside, or with a line, connector or something like that and he says there's no way (Interesting, since he can't see the setup from his desk...).
    Then proceeds to tell me that the only thing it could possibly be is my wireless router going offline. I tell him I run tests on it frequently, and even when the modem is offline, the router is green-to-go, as the network is working fine. (Apple Airport Express). I explain to him that for the past 2 years, I had this same router running alongside a (I think, can't be sure since it worked and never had to look at it) Scientific American cable modem from Cogego in another area of the province with no problems whatsoever. He tells me, still, that it is my wireless router which is causing their modem to go offline, and that the Apple wireless routers are not supported by Rogers, but that they do sell wireless... CLICK.

Is it possible for a 802.11 g Apple Airport Express wireless router to cause a Motorola SB5101 modem to repeatedly go down?

Quote Originally Posted by b4serenity@gmail.com View Post
    Does any of this help any?

/////////////////////////////
    Downstream Value
    Frequency 687000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
    Power Level -10 dBmV
    The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this
    page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 3
    Frequency 31000000 Hz Ranged
    Power Level 52 dBmV
    ////////////////////////////////////

ERROR LOG
    Time Priority Code Message
    2006-05-10 13:34:47 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance
    Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    2006-05-10 12:24:22 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received -
    T3 time-out
    2006-05-10 12:23:57 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization
    failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    2006-05-10 12:23:43 3-Critical D005.0 TFTP failed - request sent -
    No Response
    2006-05-10 12:22:33 3-Critical R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort
    Response - Re- initializing MAC
    2006-05-10 12:21:54 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received -
    T3 time-out
    How do you get this?

Quote Originally Posted by happysingh View Post
    Hello,
    This is very frustating , Go buy AMP from home depot and add it to main line, you will be happy as ever.
    Thanks
    the amp is the worst thing to do... if you've got a bad signal and you amp it, you also amp the noise. Just fix the problem. Downstream between an +8 and -8, upstream under 50dbmv to make sure you'll be online. They'll work out of that range but the levels will fluctuate with weather and temperature which is why a 56 upstream gives intermittent issues. make sure the modem is off a 2way right from the drop. If you call out a tech, ask for the levels and make sure they're in that range or don't let him leave.

hey everyone i know this is a old thread but i googled my problem and found this thread and im having this same exact problem! im shocked at how many years this has been going on with no solution!!!!!!!!!

where do i start oh man this is going to be a long one, ok let me say first it is now november 2011, my internet has been disconnecting this entire year i can remember it disconnecting in january but i just delt with it i didnt have time for cable to come out and it was only disconnecting about 6-10 times a day. in april it got so bad i couldnt stand it anymore i was being disconnected 4 times repeatedly every 5 to 15 minutes, about what seemed to be about 100 times a day. over and over ive delt with stupid morons and technicians and supervisors all not knowing what there doing and using every excuse in the book!

what is very frusterating is i have time warner, it takes about a week for them to send someone out, they cant send a line man out without sending a guy to come in your house first and approving it, so it takes a week for him to come and then a few more days for the next they say i fixed the problem and i said what you just did isnt going to solve it they say yes it will, as soon as they leave it disconnects in 15 minutes and then im back to square 1 again trying to get someone out here. no one will tell me what there doing on the pole so i cant relay the info to the next person. finally i get the head of the techs out here, he runs around and cant find the problem i see he wants to leave and is stumped, so he says i have to check your electrical wires in the basement can i hook up with your landlord? im like what does that have to do with anything? so basically he comes back and right away says you have to replace your entire electrical wiring in your whole house. what he ment to say is i have no clue what im doing let me give you this excuse to keep you away for a while. he says we arent going to do anything until you do that. so then i was at a dead freeze. so i called corporate hq in new york, they sent him right back out here with another tech, this new guy found a rip in the fiber. they fixed it my problem got worse. i can go on and on with these storys of the stuff they did that didnt work. theyve replaced all my wiring in my house ive got 6 diff modems from them to make sure it wasnt that, i have no splitters they ran all new wiring from the pole to inside. so after tht guy leaves the next day it just starts working, it worked for 2 weeks no disconnections. all of a sudden it just starts disconnecting again, thats when they said there was a tear in the fiber. im afraid to even have them mess with it again because its only disconnecting 10 to 15 times a day which i can tolerate im afraid that its going to get bck to the 100 times a day when they touch it because thats what happens. and then randomly it just fixs itself, since april it worked for one whole month without disconnections, and then the 2 weeks a little bit ago it worked pretty good. other then that my modem disconnects and resets itself all the time! i cant game at al on my ps3, any work i do online i lose when i click send.

ive heard so many excuses, im also noticing when it rains it acts up the worse and it almost seems like something is getting wet and messing up for a few days till it drys out. they also said 2 nodes were blown out, they said everyone in the neighborhood was disconnecting then they also said someone in another city is having the same problem, then other techs come out and say im lying and all this other garbage to get me to keep paying my bill and believe its my fault and other techs will come right out and really try to help me. some techs have no clue what there doing i look out the window and there hiding on the side of my house for 20 minutes not doing anything then they come in and say i couldnt find a problem im like dude i just watched you for 20 minutes! my file at time warner is as thick as the bible, they have a huge history of my disconnections and calls of people coming out trying to fix my problem

i wish i could just change companys but i live in cleveland the poorest city in america, since theres less money here its less likely we can afford cable itnernet so the government picked us last to get fiber optic from verizon and other companys, the only thing we have is time warner, and att and i can see att equipment dangling from the pole if i look at the window it looks like something from back to the future about to electricute someone into 2099.

i have no clue what to do except move at this point. a nice tech came out today and gave me his number he said he was going to go back to the office and monitor me thru the computer and see what he can find out to fix. hes the first person to do that for me he said hes going to stick with me to figure this out. everyone else has kicked me t the curb and said problem solved. they even sent this one mexican guy here 6 times and i had to finally request they stop sending him because he would just come here and say u have no problem and then leave and mark my case as closed!

i just found this page which is describing exactly what is happening to me

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ps/signal.html

a month later and im still disconnecting...time warner supervisors have told the employees to not even help me now