Thread: High ping spike every 30 seconds on fast connection

High ping spike every 30 seconds on fast connection

I am having a problem with my cable broadband service. It has been great for the past 6 months. Two weeks ago it started to lag with online games every 30 seconds. My ping shoots up from 30 to 350 or more every 30 seconds nonstop. I thought it was the game or maybe a virus on my computer. So I formatted the drive and reinstalled XP and the games. It is still there. I called Astound my internet provider, and they came to my house. He ran a ping test and found no matter what site he was pinging it would always spike about every 30 seconds. He gave me a new modem and changed the lines. Still same problem. He pretty much gave up and has no idea what it is. There is no router in line straight to the modem. I tried it with a different computer same problem. Average download speed is 9500Kbps and average upload speed is 1200Kbps. The speed is great but the ping is not right. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks for your time

Jamison

Did your try adding a Firewall Software to see that helps. I have ZoneAlarm Pro install and I have No Problems with anything. Try It and See.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    using a firewall can spike it more since the packet is being filtered it's going to take more time to travel.

There really anything you can do with ping spikes since you don't know what hop the spikes are comming from if it's something between your house and the server most likey can't be fixed.

Usually it's something wrong with the pyhiscally cable of the phone line/cable line on the pole like I said depending on what route the spikes are comming from.
    Comptia a+ n+

He ran a new cable bypassing all the old splitters, direct from where the line comes off the street. And the over all performance of my ping/speed tests got a little better. But the spike is still there. I have a feeling the hop that is giving me the problem must be in there system because no matter what site i ping it happens. Thanks for the info

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukface
    There is no router in line straight to the modem.
    Eeek! Brave man running bare like that.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!