Thread: wiring new house (phone and data) need help for hardware

wiring new house (phone and data) need help for hardware

Hello,
    I'm wiring my new house for phone and data connections and I have some questions before making hardware purchases.

1. I'm currently looking into purchasing cat5e or cat6, I have found both of them close to each other in price on ebay. I just wanted to know if cat5 and cat6 would work together without problems? Say, I have current cat5 cables to run from the wall plug to the computer but the lines behind the wall I ran with cat6, would this cause any problems or should I just run cat5e?

2. What type of wire should I run for the phone lines. Can you run a normal phone line using cat5/cat5e or cat6 or should I be running smaller for this?

Please let me know as I'm looking to purchase everything now as the walls will be going up soon. Thanks

Advanced Member
    I would stick to using all of the same wiring stndard just to make things easier. However the only ill effect of mixing would be that if you are using CAT 5 and CAT 5e/6 you won't be able to get gigabit speeds. I don't know how much of an issue that is to you. If you are only using the CAT 5 as patches it would be easy enough to replace them at a later date if you want to upgrade.

Phones can be wired using CAT 5 no problem. They only use one pair of wires per line so if you are doing a simple single line phone you will have some extra wires there. I forget off hand which pair to use for wiring a phone, but you would need to look that up to make sure it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD
    I forget off hand which pair to use for wiring a phone, but you would need to look that up to make sure it works.
    For a single phone line I always use blue to blue, but as long as its the same pair being terminated end to end, it will work fine.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Can I use Cat6 for phone and data? or should I buy cat5/cat5e for phone and cat6 for data?

I plan on buying 1x1000ft roll of cat6 in blue and 1x1000ft of cat5/cat5e or cat6 if it will work for phone and using gray.

Phone will not tie into the data as its only for phone use. I will pull everything to one location (blue/gray cables) and all the blue will go into the switch I have and the phone will get wired there as well for the whole house (1 line) 1 line will run on most of the house and a few areas I will run 2 cat5/cat5e/cat6 cables for two phone lines which will be used for phone/fax. Do I have to run two lines or will a single cat5/cat5e/cat6 cable hold 2 lines on a single cable?

Also, please remember the question above this is one I forgot to ask and was trying to spill out the first post. Which catx do I need to use for phone? any of the 3 or should I use cat5? Also, would it be an issue putting normal phone connecters on a cat5 cable? rather then the larger data connecter for cat5/cat6?

(if no on cat5/cat6 should I use normal phone wire like cat3 or something?)

*NOTE:* I would have opened a second post, but I was searching for this anser on google and seen this was top 3 on google search so I thought I would reopen this post so other users searching for the samething will get this answered as well when wiring there new house.
    Last edited by truz; 02-23-06 at 01:20 AM.

Advanced Member
    All you need for standard phone service is two wires, or one pair. The standard for phone would be CAT 3. As long as you are using at LEAST CAT 3 you will be fine, so buy all of the same type of cable that you will be using for data. No real reason to buy CAT 5 just for voice, unless you want to save some money. If that is the case just buy standard phone wire, it will support two lines anyway. No real reason to use CAT 5/CAT 5e/CAT 6 for a standard single line home phone system.

As for using the standard connectors on the CAT 5 or better it is no problem, just clip off the wires you won't be using and keep them inside the cable.

alright so Cat3 and Cat5 a single cable will run 2 phone lines?

Quote Originally Posted by truz
    alright so Cat3 and Cat5 a single cable will run 2 phone lines?
    1 cable = 4 pairs = 4 lines maximum.

If you are going to get a spool of CAT5 for data, you might as well use it for the phones as well.. No sense in buying 2 different spools, unless you want to color code them, thats fine. Basically, the higher CAT rating = better grade / higher specification cable.

Basic copper UTP cable types & typical uses:

CAT3 = phone
    CAT5 = phone OR 10/100 ethernet
    CAT5e = phone OR 10/100 OR gigabit ethernet
    CAT6 = higher rated than CAT5e but otherwise very similar.

Good luck!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Advanced Member
    CAT 3 is 2 pairs, 4 wires, and supports 2 phone lines. This is standard phone wire. CAT 5 will also work just fine for phone lines, you just don't connect the unused pairs of wire.

As mentioned the only real reason for buying different spools would be to do color coding, or to save some money because CAT 3 is generally cheaper. One benefit thought to using CAT 5 for everything is that it makes it very simple to change a line over from voice to data in the future should your needs change. Just connect the extra pairs at both ends, and you are done.

Alright thanks.

I'm going to use cat5e for phone and cat6 for data. Cat6 was $100 a roll shipped. and cat5e is $65 a roll shipped (1000ft rolls) I will use almost both rolls for phone and data as I have to wire 8 bedrooms as the house is somewhat big. I also have the kitchens (as there is a apartment so 2 kitchens) for the phone lines. I ordered 2 boxes of RG6 1000ft rolls as I'm running dual cables in each bedroom. The longest run I have is about 80ft which is the 4 far bedrooms.

Whats the longest run you can have with RG6 and Cat5/6?

Quote Originally Posted by truz
    Alright thanks.

I'm going to use cat5e for phone and cat6 for data. Cat6 was $100 a roll shipped. and cat5e is $65 a roll shipped (1000ft rolls) I will use almost both rolls for phone and data as I have to wire 8 bedrooms as the house is somewhat big. I also have the kitchens (as there is a apartment so 2 kitchens) for the phone lines. I ordered 2 boxes of RG6 1000ft rolls as I'm running dual cables in each bedroom. The longest run I have is about 80ft which is the 4 far bedrooms.

Whats the longest run you can have with RG6 and Cat5/6?
    Since you're running cat6 for data I need to ask if you're going to be running full gig or just 100mb? If you're planning on just running 100mb using cat6 your limit before loss would be around 100feet. If you're planning on running gig then you're limited to about 40-50feet from gig swtich to drop.
    I also thought I'd ask what switch/router/modem you're planning on using?
    Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.

FS Netgear 48gig Switch http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=195791
    FS Dell Dimension 4550 http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=195864

CCNA, CCNP, CISSP, Network+, A+, MCSE, MCDST

I have a Netgear RangeMax and ParkerVision wireless router. I also have a Netgear RangeMax Access Point. I was planning on buying a netgear switch as well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...encoding=UTF8). I think the most my runs will be is 60 feet maybe 65 feet. Which this will be on the far end of the house. Where the main part of the house is and my bedroom/office the run will be under 40 feet some 10 feet away. I plan on using a wired connection for my office desktop and my laptop I will use wireless. I will be setting up two access points less more is needed. Currently this parkervision and netgear rangemax does not go over 70 feet (70 feet with a tape measure walking from my router to my far computer.) Threw walls it's shorter. Let me know if my setup is okay. Thanks