Thread: Needs Help With Router Configuration

Needs Help With Router Configuration

I just upgraded firmware to my Linksys 4-port wired Router. In the advanced setup area I see now a lot more items than before. And I don't quite remember how the earlier setup was. At any rate, what I see now as follows:

Block WAN Request: Enable Disable
    Multicast Pass Through: Enable Disable
    IPSec Pass Through: Enable Disable
    PPTP Pass Through: Enable Disable
    Remote Management: Enable Disable Port: 8080
    Remote Upgrade: Enable Disable
    MTU: Enable Disable Size:1500
    Filter Internet NAT Redirection: Enable Disable
    Filter IDENT(port 113): Enable Disable

What would be the correct settings? Please advise. I do not have VPN.

Also, I noticed that since this upgrade my wireless print server stays off-line all the time. Everytime before printing I have to unplug & plug the print server power cord to make it visible to the network. Is this problem related to this firmware upgrade? I did not see this problem at all before the upgrade. This print server used to stay connected to network all times without fail. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Block WAN Request: Enable (hides you better)
    Multicast Pass Through: Enable (for various types of multimediamedia traffic/streaming)
    IPSec Pass Through: Enable Disable (If you VPN to a main office have it on)
    PPTP Pass Through: Enable Disable (If you VPN to a main office have it on)
    Remote Management: Disable Port: 8080
    Remote Upgrade: Disable
    MTU: Enable Disable Size1500 if on bridged DSL or cable, 1492 if on PPPoE DSL)
    Filter Internet NAT Redirectionisable (for testing of local LAN servers using "loopback" WAN IP. )
    Filter IDENT(port 113): if you use some chat programs like mIRC...toggling this can help.

Most of these the default setting should be fine. The only ones I'd worry about are making sure remote management and remote upgrade is disabled, and locking down MTU based on whatever type of broadband I have.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for getting back to me. I will set this up per your recommendation.

Would you be kind to give a shot at it to my second question which was embedded in the last paragraph of my original message. If you think that question does not belong here, please advise where should I be posted that?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hmmm....I don't have much experience with wireless print servers....any print servers I do are usually HP Jet Direct, wired.

Is the wireless print server set to obtain IP automatically? Or do you have it assigned a IP address, static? Any "servers" of any type that I setup, print servers included, I always assign a static LAN IP. "Servers" in my opinion, should not be dynamic, if other workstations need to get access to them. It's harder to hit a moving target.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. IP is assigned dynamically by the Router. I did set one time static, but I did not see any improvements, thus I changed it back to the dynamic again. Any how, it is an important point, it should be static for optimum response. During my pause I was busy exploring about this print server. I have read all the reviews by consumers as much as I could that I can find at amazon.com site. Experiences with this print server are mixed, nonetheless, important findings are revealed from the positive reviews. I'm going to try those collection of positive results by emulating their tracks on setting the server. Bottomline is that I have to restore this server to the factory defaults first, and then follow the steps for settings (outlined by the users, not by the Linksys) precisely. Outcome still could be uncertain, but at least there is a chance which I have to take. In the mean time, if you have some brain storming, please do not hesitate to write it down here for me, so that other users can be benefited as well. Thanks.