Thread: WAP54G Web Configuration access woes

WAP54G Web Configuration access woes

Hi there, i have a problem with my Linksys WAP54G wireless access point.

My access point is connected to a hard wired ADSL router (Netgear DG834). 2 other computers are also connected to this router. In terms of producing a signal and accessing the internet via the wireless point, there is no problem.

However, i just cannot seem to access the in built web configuration utility on the Linksys access point. Currently the wireless network is unsecured as a result of there being no access to set up the necessary security procedures.

In the documentation etc. the default address for the WAP54G point is 192.168.1.245. Typing this ip address into any web browsers on any computer on the whole network (both hardwired computers and wireless) brings no result.

The accompnaying Linksys CD software (which i believe isn't really necessary to set up the network) recognises and picks up the wireless router. However when i try to change settings via this CD software i cannot access the router because any password I try is incorrect (the default password is admin i believe). Interestingly the CD software displays the WAP54G's IP address as 1.192.168.1 (note the extra one before the adress).... what does this mean? Typing this IP address into any web browsers on the network brings no results as well.

I have tried resetting the WAP54G using the reset button, and even resetted the NETGEAR router but no success on accessing the LINKSYS web config utility. Interestingly too, when using the NETGEAR web config utility there is no recognition of the Access Point being on the network. Im wondering if there is perhaps a conflict between the Router and the Access Point? Im really not experienced with networking so i wouldnt know.

The wireless access is working, but i have no ability to secure it or change settings. Any ideas or solutions ?

All help appreciated.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The Netgear runs your LAN on 192.168.0.XXX right?

Confirm this with an IPCONFIG

Try setting a PC manually to something like 192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0
    Then access your Linksys...change its LAN IP to 192.168.0.245
    Set your PCs TCP back to obtain auto..see if you get it now.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Eventually got access last night, basically using a solution similar to yours.

The router was only dishing out IPs from 192.168.0.1 to 254, but this seemed to be conflicting with the access point's default of 192.168.1.254.

So i changed the default LAN IP of the router itself form 192.168.0.1 to .1.1. And hence change the range of IPs dished out accordingly. This gave access to the utility on the access point using its default ip.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMattUK
    So i changed the default LAN IP of the router itself form 192.168.0.1 to .1.1. And hence change the range of IPs dished out accordingly. This gave access to the utility on the access point using its default ip.

Thanks for the help.
    Yup...that's another way of doing it..change one or the other. That 3rd number there...the 3rd octet...it's the different one by default with the two brands, so they're on different networks when setup like that.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem, with the same hardware (DLink DSG834, LinkSys WAP54G), but neither of the above solutions seem to work. Both result in the LinkSys setup wizard reporting the WAP as being at 1.192.168.1 (which does seem like a very wrong IP address) and with the usual "incorrect password" message.

Should the IP address of the WAP come up as something sensible, e.g. 192.168.x.x, if I use MadMattUK's approach?

Where does the WAP get its IP addr from? My other approach was to use Address Reservation in the router to force the WAP to take an address of say 192.168.1.75, but this didn't work either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Access points usually come with a preset LAN IP address...often in the higher range ...such as 192.168.1.245. That's why it won't pickup from a DHCP reservation..it's not set to obtain auto...hence it's not going to snag one.

I'm not a fan of the "setup utility CD" that comes with routers and APs. Having worked with them for so long and so many times...I'm actually able to get things done quicker and easier simply via their web admin.

So with routers..at first, I set my PC to obtain auto (usually already is)...and log into the web admin directly. With APs....I refer to the documentation to see what LAN IP they are preset at...I manually change my PCs IP address to be within that range (say the AP is 192.168.1.245, I'll set my PC to 192.168.1.10, 255.255.255.0, don't need to bother with gateway or DNS since you're only loggin into the web admin). PC either plugged into the hub/switch that the network is on..as well as the AP. Or directly plug PC into AP.

If it's different brand AP and routers..the IP range is often different, as in the above posts. I'll reset the IP of the access point to be in the range of the router...just outside the DHCP pool. If the AP came preset as 192.168.1.245, and your main router is 192.168.0.1 or 10.1.1.1...I'll reset the AP to match that range...such as 192.168.0.245 or 10.1.1.245. Once it's set...I'll change my PCs TCP back to what it was before (probably obtain auto). Can then log into the APs web admin...and carry on.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

First reset the AP, then on the computer that you wish to access AP that is connected to your router , get to the NIC properties, "under this connection uses" scroll to TCP/IP highlight and clik properties, click alternate configuration then user configured and enter:

IP address 192.168.1.10
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 or that of your current gateway

I recommend leaveing the address as the factory default of: 192.168.1.245 or you will need to change the above IP address listed above to a range within the new AP address.

After doing this you should be able to access the AP's web admin page by entering 192.168.1.245 (default static IP address) in the address bar of your browser.
    Last edited by BioHaz; 06-09-08 at 04:35 PM. Reason: incomplete