Thread: Networking Comcast Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Modem

Question Networking Comcast Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Modem

I have a Comcast Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable modem that I would like to add to a home network and add wireless access to it for a laptop, and computers in other rooms of the house.

What do I need to accomplish this or is it even possible ??

Thanks..

Sdruid11@bellsouth.net
    sdruid11@yahoo.com
    sdruid11@earthlink.net

www.geocities.com/sdruid11

Hi,

I have a SB4200 which I believe is the same . For networking I got myself a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router WRT54G (Amazon was the cheapest). I use Telewest/blueyonder as ISP and now that they have taken off the MAC address registration no messing about with the ISP when I installed it.

Hooked via ethernet from modem to router, hardwired 2 X PCs to router and another via wireless no probs . Only thing to remember is to add secuiry on the wireless link otherwise anyone in range can access.

The router is accessed via an Ip addy using internet explorer and you can play around with settings but it works OK straight from the box. The documention is "fairly good/mediocre". However doubtless peeps on here and other forums can help if you get stuck!!

HTH
    Cheers & Happy Christmas

Bernie

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Grab a broadband router with wireless
    My personal favorites, Linksys WRT54GX (SRX) or Belkin Pre-N

If on a budget a bit more...the WRT54GX2 (SRX200) is like a baby Pre-N router....almost as strong as the big brother GX.

Both are Pre-N/MIMO routers....far superior in getting that signal strength across your house/upstairs/downstairs, etc.

What you'll want to do is turn off your Motorola for at least 15 minutes...so it "forgets" the MAC of the prior device connected to it. Then uplink the WAN port of your new router to it, power up the router, power up the modem...let the modem synch up and "learn" the MAC of your new router. Then cycle the power on the router after a few minutes..and BAM...you should be online (once you set your other computers up to it...at least one wired one for setup).

Then proceed with your other computers, just leave their IP to "obtain automatically".

For the wireless, if you get a Pre-N/MIMO router, you can still use older B and G wireless network cards in your computer and still realize the increased range of MIMO. Recommend sticking with G network cards for better support of WPA security, much easier to setup than the old WEP standards, and more secure. For your Windows XP operating systems, make sure they're up to date with security ,especially service pack 2, which made the wireless configuration utility much easier to work with.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    One thing, I do tech support for cable internet, recommend that when you power up, you power up the modem first, wait until it has full block sync, (the ONLINE light on solid), then power up the router.

Question

I read somewhere about having to clone the mac address of the current computers network card into the new router since that is what is currently stored in the cable modem and then going ahead and setting up dhcp and stuff like that...

What do I setup the router connection type as ? PPoe, Static ip, Obtain automatically ?

thanks...

sdruid

Quote Originally Posted by sdruid
    I read somewhere about having to clone the mac address of the current computers network card into the new router since that is what is currently stored in the cable modem and then going ahead and setting up dhcp and stuff like that...

sdruid
    This all depends upon your ISP. With mine (Telewest/Bluyonder) you could register upto 6 mac addresses - they have since dropped this requirement and take any mac address.

However, on my router there is a MAC address clone capability which should overcome the problem if you need the same mac address as your current PC - Although I have never used it {Do you know how to get the mac address of your current PC ? )

What do I setup the router connection type as ? PPoe, Static ip, Obtain automatically ?
    sdruid
    Mine is set for internet connection as "Automatic Connection - DHCP"

HTH

Happy Christmas
    Bernie

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

thanks...

sdruid
    I see MAC cloning needed less and less often. Years ago with some cable ISPs it was needed. Not in my area any more...usually the long power cycle on the cable modem is all that is required. IMO MAC cloning is a bandaid, I'd rather get whatever to learn the new MAC and do it correctly.

The router connection type depends on your ISP. PPPoE is for most DSL setup, Obtain Auto is for cable, and some DSL (bridged DSL). Static IP, usually for more custom DSL, Cable, or T setups.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!