Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to connect router to touchstone telephony modem? *HELP*

Anyone know how to connect router to touchstone telephony modem? *HELP*

So i have this linksys router wrt54g, and ive got it connected to this arris touchstone telephony modem, and all the lights are on and it looks like its good to go, but the computer wont connect to the internet for some reason. Normally i would think to turn off the modem and turn it back on but all i can do is hit the stand by mode to cut it off from the internet, its got like a battery inside so its on even when unplugged.

anyone know what the error is, or if there is a setting on the router that i should change for this kind of modem?? any help would be huuuggely appreciated

I am having the same Problem with this Arris Telephony Modem it will not connect with my router and I need help too can anyone help?

How to connect Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem to a Router.

Well folks Comcast can be sneaky. Here is the issue. Your Arris Modem was most likely installed directly to a PC or Mac when either you or a technician installed. As soon as it connected it registered your MAC address from your NIC back at Comcast Central. Well now we need to make your modem think it is still talking to the PC or Mac it was hooked up to. Here is how!

Find out what your NIC's MAC is (go to "Start", "run", "CMD", "ipconfig/all")

Copy down your NIC's "Physical Address." That is the MAC.

Go into your router's web based utility (Linksys is 192.168.1.1) and click on the "Advanced" tab. Then click on the "MAC Address Clone" tab. Type in the number that you copied down. Click "Apply." Now power cycle your Modem while it is disconnected from your computer and router. Power Cycle the router. After everything has rebooted connect the router to the modem and you should be good to go!

Same problem with arris modem and LinkSys router

I have the same problem mentioned above with my LinkSys router and the Arris touchstone telephony modem.
    The technician did set the modem up with it wired staight into a PC, and it locked onto it (presumably to the MAC address). There is a little recessed button next to the Internet cable connection on the modem that you can press to reset. After that, connecting it up to any computer works - the modem locks on to it until you reset it again.
    So, then I hooked my LinkSys router to the modem and reset it. When I logged into my router from my computer, I saw that the IP, Gateway, DNS , etc. on the router were correct (same as they were on the computer when it was hooked straight to the modem).
    The router could ping the internet.
    My computer was able to ping the router, but
    My computer was not able to ping the internet.
    The internet requests from my computer are not being broadcast from the router to the modem/internet correctly.

Any other ideas? (I tried cloning the MAC address from the PC that was hooked up to the modem to my router to no avail)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Power off your cable modem for several minutes. Comcast does not register or authenticate via MAC upstream on their authentication servers. The modem does however, memorize the MAC of the last device it connected to....and gives a public IP address based on that. But when you change devices on your modem....simply power it off for several minutes...it will "forget" the MAC of the prior device. Then connect your new device (PC...or hopefully...router) to the modem...power up both. Power cycle the PC or router after another minute or so...once the modem synches up.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

If you havent figured it out yet

Its quite simple actually just hit reset button on modem...
    i have a problem though for some reason i cant bring up a game server when connected thrrough a router when using this modem...anyone have any ideas?
    Im sure its not the router cause i have all the settings correct...i was thinking modem setting or something i dunno but its starting to make me angry

Okay...Just had Comcast put in digital voice. I have windows 2000 and D link router on main computer/xp as host. I now cant get online with xp. i have Powercycled and even reformatted the xp to no avail. also cant get on dlink online tools. i have worked on this for 2 days help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have the same problem... i tried everything that TNTRower said to do, and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

I am away from home and have signed up for a few months with Comcast in FL. I got online with my computer connected to the modem. However when I inserted the router, no smiles.
    So I unplugged the modem, the router and shut down the computer, went out for dinner and when I came back, I assumed the modem would forget the MAC address of the computer adapter. I started the modem, then the router and then the computer. No smiles again.
    So I cloned the MAC address of the computer to the router and it was all smiles.
    The router was shut down for at least 3-4 hours which wasn't long enough to forget the MAC. All's fine now.

If it's a Comcast voice over IP modem..(Arris is the common brand they use)...besides turning off the modem for a few minutes..you also need to remove the battery underneath, else the battery keeps the memory alive and it will not "forget" the MAC of the prior device.

No MAC cloning needed..that's just a bandaid fix, in the many Comcast installs I've done, I've never had to MAC clone, better IMO to simply get the modem to learn the new MAC.

Back when I lived where Comcast was my ISP..I'd often switch routers and various other ICS methods at my house several times a day. Properly getting the modem to forget was all that was needed.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

YOSC certainly has more experience in this than I do, however, I couldn't get the Motorola SB5120 modem to forget the MAC. I did a number of modem recycling (with everything else disconnected), left it unplugged for 5-10 minutes a few times, once even for 3-4 hours, all to no avail.
    So, in desperation, I cloned the MAC and it worked. It may be a bandaid solution, but I didn't know what else to try.
    So right now, if it ain't broke, I don't plan on fixing it.

I wish I knew what else I should have done, other than clonng the MAC. At home, with my regular cable ISP, I have had no problems switching routers without incurring the wrath of the MAC gods. This is the first time I have had this problem. I have switched between Linksys, DLink and Buffalo routers quickly and simply.

I googled the issue and followed the advice found at:
    http://www.cs.umd.edu/~daveho/info/comcast.html
    The author seems to have good credentials.

Happy New Year to all - a healthy one and hopefully one of peace.
    Last edited by lenwest; 01-01-08 at 08:15 AM.

Can't get my AirPort Extreme router (that used to work with old Comcast modem) to connect with new Arris Touchstone telephony modem. I have an iMac OS 10.5.5 and iBook.
    I am a teacher, not real savvy. Comcast set the modem up when I wasn't there. Should I call Comcast techs or Apple support? I just stumbled on this site, so maybe someone here could help. Is this modem even compatible with Macs? Thanks for any help.

Touchstone creates its own network first

I struggled with this problem for 2-3 hours on Saturday morning and discovered that the problem has nothing to do with Mac addresses (though that issue doesn't seem to help), but rather is caused by the Arris Touchstone's behavior which is to create a local network first so that your PC or Router can talk to it and then it talks to Comcast - once it has got the authorization from Comcast it shuts down its own network and gives your PC or router an IP address with Comcast's network.

And the Arris local network is 192.168.100.x Most routers that we are all connecting to the Touchstone are configured to create their own network in the range 192.168.1.x It seems (a network person could tell us more authoritatively) that these two network configuration do not work together.

If you change your router settings to 10.10.1.x then it seems to make the connection through the Touchstone flawlessly.

Hope this saves someone some time in the future.

David

With Comcast it is about MAC addressing. Whenever you connect a new device, the modem/MTA remembers the MAC address of the "old" device...and it will not give the new device a proper public IP address.

The solution to this, unplug your cable modem for several minutes..so it will "forget" the MAC address of the "old device". Plug in your new router, power up the router, power up the modem..allow modem to "synch up" for a minute. It will then see a new device..and "memorize" its MAC address, and give it a proper public IP address. Power cycle the router, and then bootup your PCs behind the router (or IP release/renew)..so they get new proper DNS information. You can now enjoy the internet.

With the Arris MTA devices...in addition to unplugging their power for a minute, you also need to remove the battery underneath..else they aren't actually powered off simply by unplugging their AC cord. The battery allows calls to be made without electricity. Note that no calls can be made for the minute or so your battery is removed.

Comcast doesn't ship their cable modems in "router mode"..so they don't do NAT already, so no IP range conflicts (unless your router is set to 192.168.100.xxx for some reason). The 192.168.100.1 is simply the web administration page of the unit.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Exclamation Help

Hi All, im having this same issue. I just started using the ARRIS telephony modem and cant use my router. my other issue is that when i was troubleshooting with someone they had me delete my wireless internet connection all together.

i dont know how to set a secure one up (i live in a large apartment building) and to fix my router so i dont have to sit a foot away from the tv anymore.

can anyone really help me? im not entirely sure i know what some of the other things are reffering to. im not a computer whiz, but im also not computer illiterate... i just need a little more explanation if anyone is willing to help me?

Thanks all.

Kelly.

Clone the MAC address.....

Had same issue here with Cox Digital Telephone (Arris TM502 here). PC by itself would connect (tech checked Internet connection while I was gone), but Linksys router would not get an IP from Cox.

Tried factory reset, etc....no dice. Cloned PC MAC address to router, good to go!

i have arris 502 G telephony modem , i have wi fi router connected to it through Co axial cable and my Internet works well both wirelessly and if i connect through router with ethernet port on router
    but when i tried to connect directly to the Arris modem through ethernet port on it my internet does not works
    can any body will tell me how to connect through arris moden directly

well cable connection create so much problems in network connections. but still you can get solution from here: MTL Wi-Fi is fully diving in to the wireless revolution, unshackling the cords and cables that tie you down. Stay up to date with MTL Wi-Fi’s continuous updates of news and trends that affect the wireless world.

http://www.mtlwifi.com

Post MAC Address, Comcast, Home or Business, along with some hardware recommendations.

?
    Quote Originally Posted by milgil View Post
    "...problem has nothing to do with Mac addresses..."

The MAC address is not fully the problem, as most modern Comcast devices do not register the MAC in an permanent form. Indirectly, yes, the MAC can cause trouble, if the devices are not power-cycled during device changes.

Residential users typically only use the Arris / Touchstone box for Phone and Internet.
    Business Class customers use the Arris / Touchstone box for Phone only and a separate Business Gateway is provided for Internet.

My bust guess is that a Business Class customers' service is supposed to be more critical than a residential user and separate devices mean less services are interrupted when something breaks, unless of course it's the physical line or signal quality to the building.

"...And the Arris local network is 192.168.100.x Most routers that we are all connecting to the Touchstone are configured to create their own network in the range 192.168.1.x It seems (a network person could tell us more authoritatively) that these two network configuration do not work together."

While many consumer routers are pre-configured to use 192.168.1.x, most of the ones I've seen (including the $14 ones) can be configured for whatever range you set. In the 192.168.1.x versus 192.168.100.x scenario, the IP range is itself not the issue. Your net mask is. 255.255.255.0 can see anything x.x.x.0-255. Assuming your network devices are also configured to see both subnets, you can have both ranges on the same physical network as long as your net mask is properly configured. The easiest is a net mask of 255.255.0.0, which let's you see 192.168.(0-255).(0.255). There are reasons in the business world why this isn't always the best idea, but at home, those scenarios should be fairly limited.

ANYTIME you are placing multiple router or modem like devices in the same physical network, be aware of DHCP conflicts. If both boxes are trying to give out DHCP, devices requesting DHCP may be denied and either device may also fail to connect device that are statically set to access their unique ranges while the DHCP conflict is happening. In my area, Comcast doesn't provide the customer the ability to configure network settings on the Arris / Touchstone modem. The business gateway can disable DHCP though.

While I generically trust the Comcast business-class gateway security better than the average consumer modem, it is most certainly no substitute for real security and providing both the proper configuration and hardening of all network devices but also the strongly recommended firewall inside your network between the you and the Comcast modems.

-=-=-
    If you're on a budget, but still want an enterprise solution, check out these options:
    $79-$99 each -- Ubiquiti UniFi AP
    $39 each -- MikroTik Routerboard RB750
    There's also a few other router items from Ubiquiti in the $39-$49 range that aren't bad.

The UniFi AP is top-notch and is aesthetically appealing when properly installed. Configuration requires a desktop application (Windows or Mac)
    Their other deices use a built-in web GUI called AirOS. It's Apple simple. (In fact, from what I gather, the guy who started Ubiquiti used to work for Apple back in the "Flying-Saucer" AirPort days)
    The RoutherBoard can be made easier to use with a desktop application, but Linux knowledge goes a long way for anything advanced.

Speaking of Advanced, did I mention MikroTik gives you a platform industrial enough to stomp Cisco and AdTran, even in their $39 model? MPLS and BGP are just the first 2 features that come to mind. I forget which firewall they use (IPChains / IPTables), but again, Linux knowledge goes a long , long, way.

If you change your router settings to 10.10.1.x then it seems to make the connection through the Touchstone flawlessly.

Hope this saves someone some time in the future.

David

IP address

Hey all being said I went into my ip config typed in all and of course the gneric came up which is ipv 4 I also had ipv6 which number do I use.. I have both arries for voice and motorla for internet along with router from netgear so I don t know which of these numbers to clone? when I talked to comcast they said I would have to go out and buy a new one for 150 so found a used one now to figure out if I can configure it.....PLeqase sweep me under the carpet...my dog loves her fur balls..