Thread: QWest DSL disconnect issues

Question QWest DSL disconnect issues

I recently had QWest DSL installed and I am having frequent disconnect issues. I'm currently running the Actiontec modem behind a Netgear switch and have two computers sharing this connection. We can login to our ISP with no problem, but after a few minutes, we start seeing intermittent disconnects. Sometimes the modem locks up and I have to soft boot the modem to wake it back up. I've also noticed that the IM services seem to suffer from disconnects the most. I tried re-installing the modem and changing from PPE0E to PPEOA, but it didn't seem to help. I also have a firewall at the Netgear switch and on my pc.

I'm hoping someone might have dealt with the same problem.

Thank you for your time!

You don't list the model number to double check. Is that a Bridge Modem, Or a Modem/Router combo that all the Telcos seem to be shipping these days? If it has a Router built into it, the symptoms you describe are pretty spot on. While double NATing can be done, it needs to be set up properly. Don't let a single Lan port fool you, it may still have a router built into it. HTH

Verizon 3000/768 DHCP DSL:
    Download Speed: 2802 kbps (350.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 717 kbps (89.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    :2cool:

Model #

My modem is the Actiontec GT701-wg modem/router and my router is the Netgear RP114 Web Safe Router (cable/DSL). I guess I may not have it set up properly. I'll check the setup and see what happens. Thanks!
    Last edited by claspeed; 09-24-05 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactron
    You don't list the model number to double check. Is that a Bridge Modem, Or a Modem/Router combo that all the Telcos seem to be shipping these days? If it has a Router built into it, the symptoms you describe are pretty spot on. While double NATing can be done, it needs to be set up properly. Don't let a single Lan port fool you, it may still have a router built into it. HTH
    Are there any modem set-up changes I need to make in order to get my Netgear switch and Actiontec modem to get along?

The physical connection looks like this: The Actiontec ethernet port is connected to the Netgear lnk/act port. The two networked pc's are connected to two Lan ports on the Netgear switch.

The modem is cofigured like this: MSN ISP selected, PPPoA, my IP address is dynamic.

I hope this is enough info. If not, let me know and I'll search for more.

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

Funny, Sometimes you call the Netgear a switch, and sometimes a Router. The Netgear RP114 you gave is a Router. I figured that's what meant originally and pointed to Double NAT as the source your problem(s). Actually if it was a Switch you wouldn't be having problems. Oh well. The easiest fix is to use the Netgear as a switch. First make sure that with ONE (1) computer hooked up directly to the Actiontec it can and does function correctly with your DSL. If not reinstall the original DSL Setup. Next disable NAT, and the DHCP service in the Netgear. This will allow you to use the Netgear integrated Switch without problems. Then hook the output from the Actiontec to an LAN port of the Netgear. The Netgear WAN port will NOT be used at any time in this setup. Continue to connect Comps to the Neatgears LAN ports for DSL sharing. Heads up, Your Comps will probably need IP/release and renew to pull a new local IP from the Actiontec. HTH, and Good luck. Remember owners manuals are your friend.

Verizon 3000/768 DHCP DSL:
    Download Speed: 2802 kbps (350.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 717 kbps (89.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    :2cool:

Please excuse my lack of networking experience.

I used to be able to get into the Netgear router via typing 192.168.0.1 into the browser, but now it only gets me into my Actiontec modem. Is there a way to choose which devise I enter, instead of only having the choice of going into the modem?

Thanks!

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    that should fix all ur promblems or

disconnect the power the modem and change the ip of the netgear to 192.168.0.2
    Comptia a+ n+

Thanks for your help!

I did as you recomended and set the Actiontec IP to 192.168.0.2, in order to set the NetGear to 192.168.0.2. Then set the Actiontec back to 0.1 again. Now I can get into both units. I disabled the DHCP in the NetGear, but could not find an option to disable NAT. By disabling DHCP, am I disabling NAT as well? So far everything seems to be working just fine. I'll leave my web browser and Yahoo messenger service on and log the # of disconects I get. Hopefully my troubles are over. Thanks again!

I have come across this issue many times. I actually support those modems. The best thing to do (which I have done to my own dsl line) is to change the LAN ip address of the actiontec to 192.168.1.1. Leave dhcp and nat on in the netgear. The whole reason is that the netgear and actiontec are on the same subnet, and are both acting as dhcp servers. If you change the actiontec's ip to a different subnet, it will give the netgear a different WAN ip address, and allow the netgear to give out the 192.168.0.xxx ip addresses.