I stopped tweaking my connection a long time ago after reading WinXP has a self tuning tcp/ip stack. I used to use Cablenut and the Cablenut .ccs generator to fine tune registry settings. Oh how my mind has changed (more below).
I haven't visited Speedguide in a while so I figured I would stop by the forums. Headed over to the tweaking forum and noticed a new TCP Optimizer 2.0.2 beta was out. Decided I would give it a shot for entertainment value.
I am on Comcast HSI 4000/384 kbps basic package (or so I thought). Running a speed test from dslreports.com/stest, downloading a 5.9 MB file usually results in an avg of 3500/300 kbps (which is good, aroun d 90% rated speed) speeds with windows default settings..
After running TCP Optimizer on optimal setting with slider on 4000 and running about 10 seperate tests from dslreports, my speeds have gone up to and over 4000/300 and a number of times reached over 5000 kbps (see below)! I had not known my bandwidth increased ISP side.
Here is a recent screenshot from a speed test after tweaking with the latest TCP Optimizer beta:
Absolutely incredible. I had rarely met 4000 kbps prior to running the optimizer and now I'm surprised if I don't get at least 4000 kbps (haven't had less since the 10 or so runs after tuning the stack). After using TCP Optimizer's optimal setting I'm receiving over 100% of rated speeds.
records: best runs since tweaking comcast 6000/384 (cache cleared, legitimate results):
5855/324 kbps - 731.8 KB/s (during non-peak hours)
5424/337 kbps - 678 KB/s (during peak hours!)
I'm now getting speeds like I'm supposed to as opposed to 2000kbps less with XP default values.