Thread: connecting d-link wireless to existing linksys wired router?

connecting d-link wireless to existing linksys wired router?

I have 2 computers connected to a linksys BEFSR41 (wired)

I just bought a d-link wireless kit [DI-524/ air plus-g wireless plus pc card] for my new laptop.

Can I connect the wireless router to one of the linksys ports and run with it, or should I remove the linksys from the equation altogether? I really don't need to see the other pc's with the laptop.

Feeling a bit lazy of course, but willing to do the right thing...

you could use a crossover cable from the Linksys to one of the LAN ports on the D-Link. Make sure to disable DHCP on the D-Link if you do this though. This will essentially jsut use the D-link as a switch/WAP.

ok, but won't the d-link want something in the WAN port to work?

Also what do I lose with this type of setup? Again I rarely need to access the other computers and just need the wireless for the laptop for now.

lastly I would assume the setup is attach crossover to wireless router, goto d-link router configuration and disable DHCP then install the pc card in the laptop and install software. ( I also have router cd but not sure of the applicability in this scenario)

thanks for the reply-

I have a Netgear wireless router connected to my Linksys router. I use a straight through cable from a regular port on the Linksys to a regular port on the Netgear. You don't want the Netgear to have a direct Internet connection and the "connected" light should not come on.

I did change the IP address of the Netgear to conform with the series on the Linksys. Linksys default IP is 192.168.1.1, so I made the Netgear use 192.168.1.5 and the same subnet (255.255.255.0). I also disabled DHCP on the Netgear.
    It works fine.

Ok I pretty much follow you- give the wireless a fixed IP in the same scope from the wired router and of course no DHCP.

I'm confused about the cable. One of you says crossover one says straight? I thought connecting two devices required a crossover?

-- still learning

ps- still wondering the proper order of setup. I think follow the setup guide but just plug the cable from linksys as opposed the the normal cable modem cable

thx

len could be right, in the old(er) days you ALWAYS needed a crossover when uplinking 2 switches or hubs or whatever, but nowadays most switch ports are auto sensing. If a regular cable works then your good, if not then try a x-over.

yup got it. Newegg delivered a day early as usual so you know what I'll be doing when I get home.

thanks again for the support- this is a great forum.

so first thing you should do is configure the D-Link. Connect a computer to it, disable DHCP and then give it a static IP address on the same scope as the linksys
    then uplink the tow and you should be all set

ok that was not quite what I was gona do but to translate

1. hook the d-link to my laptop, logon and config (fixed IP no DHCP, setup WAP)
    2. connect d-link to linksys using lan port on d-link only
    3. install pc card into laptop w /drivers

Advanced Member
    You can use fixed IP but you can also use the first Router DHCP: Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point]

Jack.
    Microsoft MVP - Networking.

Most routers come with a fixed IP and each manufacturer has a different scope. I would change the IP of the wireless to the same scope as the wired router and not attempt to have it set by DHCP of the wired router.
    I would also put the DHCP range of dynamic IP's outside of the range of the assigned IP's of the wired and wireless routers. For example, if the wired router is a Linksys, it's IP would be 192.168.1.1, the wireless could be, say, 192.168.1.5 and you could assign a range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.110 through DHCP, depending on how many computers you intend to connect to the LAN. That way there wouldn't be any conflict between the assigned IP and the variable IP's assigned by DHCP.
    Good luck.

We'll it didn't go as smooth as I planned but I got it going. First off I was unsure where I was putting the fixed IP in the WAN or LAN setting. Since I was using the LAN port only I put it there.

Then I was unsure that in the future if I add wireless devices if the wireless router would assign IP's from linksys so i was unsure if I should add this scope in the WAN setting.

After the IP change it took a minute to realize I needed to get back into the router with the new IP which actually did not work (had to reset which worked off and on- maybe power off is required as well) Then I tried disabling DHCP first and couldn't get back in (not sure why)

Then I set the LAN first and disabled the DHCP and it tested fine but I never set the SSID and no WPA. So I reset again I finally got it.

A few puzzling issues.

1. Why can I not get back into the wireless router after disabling DHCP
    2. The router does not take the fixed IP set in LAN (198.162.1.105) it seems the linksys is assigning the IP.

Anyway it was not as dramatic as it sounds but took longer than I wanted.

Linksys is not consistently distributing an IP to the wireless adapter, not sure why. Also if I am connected to the wireless router via the lan port with the IP fixed why should I not be able to get into the admin?

even stranger if I switch users in XP (all administrators) I get no IP assigned

Quote Originally Posted by frodiggs
    We'll it didn't go as smooth as I planned but I got it going. First off I was unsure where I was putting the fixed IP in the WAN or LAN setting. Since I was using the LAN port only I put it there.

Then I was unsure that in the future if I add wireless devices if the wireless router would assign IP's from linksys so i was unsure if I should add this scope in the WAN setting.

After the IP change it took a minute to realize I needed to get back into the router with the new IP which actually did not work (had to reset which worked off and on- maybe power off is required as well) Then I tried disabling DHCP first and couldn't get back in (not sure why)

Then I set the LAN first and disabled the DHCP and it tested fine but I never set the SSID and no WPA. So I reset again I finally got it.

A few puzzling issues.

2. The router does not take the fixed IP set in LAN (198.162.1.105) it seems the linksys is assigning the IP.

Anyway it was not as dramatic as it sounds but took longer than I wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanting to know if anybody has figured that one out. I'm having the same problem>>>

Thanks
    Asus p4p800 Delux/Windows xp pro/ Pentium 4 2.8/Kingston 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (4 x 256MB)/Gforcefx520064MB/Sound blaster audigy/WD Raptor 74GB Hard Drive/US Robotics 8022/cable/ThermalTake TT420AD 420Watts ATX.

Never Give Up!

I actually ditched the DHCP as they two routers would not talk nice to each other. I set up a fixed IP on the lappy and all is very good now.

As far as getting back into the D-Link admin, make sure you browse to the NEW IP you give the wireless router.

How would I do this with a switch and a wireless router?

My Internet connects to a 4-port switch. I plug 3 computers and my D-Link wireless router into the switch. Each computer gets an external IP address automatically via DHCP from my ISP. I disable DHCP on the D-Link wireless router... and then what? Do I still assign my wireless router a 192.168. address, even though none of my computers have those addresses, or do I let my wireless router get an external IP address?

Does this work with all wireless routers? If not, is there a way to tell if you can make a router function as an access point before you buy it?