Thread: Having issues connecting to my speedstream 5100 modem thru my linksys befw11s4 router

Having issues connecting to my speedstream 5100 modem thru my linksys befw11s4 router

I am completely confused right now

I am trying to connect to the internet using my linksys BEFW11S4 4-port router and am having no luck at all.

If I connect my computer straight to my speedstream 5100 modem everything works fine, but when i connect it to the WAN port on the router I lose all access to the 5100 modem and the ethernet light on the modem goes out.

What can I do to make it so the router can access the modem?

Also if I plug the modem into one of the ports on the router instead of the WAN port the ethernet light comes on but I am unable to access the modem's web interface.

Anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you in advance for a response,
    Pheen

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    When your computer is plugged directly into the Speedstream...run an IPCONFIG. Is your computers IP a 192.168 address? Or a public IP address?

Wondering if your Speedstream is running in modem/bridged mode only? Or happens to also have the router feature enabled.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

when I run Ipconfig it shows a public IP address

I have the modem set for PPoE on the modem

Is there an option for "router mode" because I cant seem to find anything that will let me specify I am using a router except to run PPoE on my computer or in brigde mode but I cannot get either of those to work because It seems that the router cant access the modem at all through the WAN port.

By chance any other patch cable to try from the modem ethernet to the WAN port of the router? Should just be a straight patch cable.

Is this router new or used?

Try the hard reset button on the router?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah I have a bunch of different cables and have tried them all they all work as far as i can tell because i can connect to either my modem or the router straight from my pc but cant get through the router to access the modem.

The modem has an ethernet light that goes on when directly connected to my PC and when I plug it straight into one of the LAN ports on the router (still cant access it on 192.168.0.1) but when I plug it into the WAN port the light doesnt light up at all

Its used but only by me, its worked in the past so i dont get what is happening now

I have tried a hard reset on both the modem and the router and it doesnt change anything

It seems that the WAN port isnt sending/recieving any signal to/from the modem.

Wondering if the WAN port got "zapped" by a surge or something. Odd.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

oh great...

is there anyway i can access the modem through one of the LAN ports?
    Last edited by pheen; 04-19-05 at 11:40 PM.

well I think my WAN port did go out, the WAN link light on the front of the router is always on even if nothing is plugged into the router... looks like its time to go out and buy a new router....

quite annoying, guess i need to invest in a better surge protector or something.

I have the same problem with my BEFW11S4 v2 and a Motorola SB5100 cable modem. It works fine with an older SB3100, but doesn't seem to be able to talk to the SB5100 at all. I eventually gave up and bought a WRT54G router, which has no problems talking to the SB5100.

Wish I knew what the problem was, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pheen
    quite annoying, guess i need to invest in a better surge protector or something.
    One with network protection. Some places are more prone to surges coming in from the lines your broadband comes in on...not just the AC lines.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jason237
    I have the same problem with my BEFW11S4 v2 and a Motorola SB5100 cable modem. It works fine with an older SB3100, but doesn't seem to be able to talk to the SB5100 at all. I eventually gave up and bought a WRT54G router, which has no problems talking to the SB5100.

Wish I knew what the problem was, though.
    Could have been MAC cloning?

Anyways, the 54G are better.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Is it a 5100a or a 5100b? When you have modem plugged straight into computer, you can access it at 192.168.0.1, should ask for modem access code, (on bottom), then you can click 'advanced' > ppp location and set it for 'on computer'. There may also be a link for technician stats, it will give you info about isp connection. You should / might be able to browse but ISP may need original MAC address of machine (network adapter} you used when 1st signing up. Or if set to PPOE, it would look for name / PW in order to access INternet through ISP.
    Anyway, try (after setting PPP on computer) Modem into WAN of router, access router, set PPOE > insert Log-in name / PW and save all settings. Then try homepage, if no, have router "clone MAC address" of the Network adapter you had the 5100 plugged into. Now it should work, even if no <INTERNET> light. ETHERNET light should be constant. Have router use DHCP to address machine independantly of what ISP addresses router, which it will do when modem (having connection confirmed with DSL light)
    Note: You will Not be able to access modem through router unless the modem thinks it is computer. But you don't want to, or need to.
    The other way, PPP location set 'on Modem', means the modem signs into ISP and then it assigns IP address with a timeout around 20 minutes. By getting connection test results when modem is connected to computer, it may seem to make sense, by understanding how ISP knows that modem access code / MAC address, and lets the settings of modem determine if router needs to sign in or not. If PPP is 'on modem', it will be looking for the MAC address of computer, that is why you may need to clone that address into router, so the router can appear as the machine to the modem, than the router assigns net address to computer.

Having issues connecting to my speedstream 5100 modem thru my linksys befw11s4 router

Quote Originally Posted by pheen View Post

I am trying to connect to the internet using my linksys BEFW11S4 4-port router and am having no luck at all.

If I connect my computer straight to my speedstream 5100 modem everything works fine, but when i connect it to the WAN port on the router I lose all access to the 5100 modem and the ethernet light on the modem goes out.

Also if I plug the modem into one of the ports on the router instead of the WAN port the ethernet light comes on but I am unable to access the modem's web interface.

Pheen
    I am having a problem similar to yours I can access my DSL via the SpeedStream
    5100 Modem but now when the router is connected.

I have DSL Service with AT&T

This is what I want to accomplish: Access my DSL with my Laptop via a wireless connection.

I followed the instruction in my router Manual (User Guide BFEV11S4-v4.pdf) and
    the instructions on AT&T's web page <http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401764&ct=9000174&title=How+do+I+connect+a+third+party+router+to+my+AT%26T+Interne t+connection+%28Linksys%2C+Belkin%2C+etc.%29%3F> to connected my Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router to my SpeedStream 5100a Modem.

After, I connected them, I could access the Internet via my Desktop but I could not access the routers setup page (http://192.168.1.1).

After several attempts at getting my new configuration to work to no avail. I call AT&T and told them I could not access my SpeedStream modem's setup page
    http://192.168.0.1 to put the modem in BRIDGE mode per the instructions on their
    web page "How do I Set Up Home Networking and Enable Bridge Mode
    <http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401538>."
    The tech ask me the modem model, I said SpeedStreem 5100. She said how many lights does it have, I said 4. She said, you have the 5100a which can not be put in bridge mode, have a nice day!

I confirmed the tech's information by visiting this site:
    <http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/amfaq/2.2_Efficient_5100_Ethernet_modem>

I also found the solution to my problem by reading the information after this line on the web site above: "Funhouse info on the original 5100a Modem including how to get at line stats. "

I followed the instructions and my problem was solved.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by pheen View Post

Pheen
    I am somewhat confused by what I am reading. The modem should be plugged into the wan port on the router and the computer should be plugged into any one of the 4 lan ports. Be sure to remove all PPPoE connections on the computer. Then do an ipconfig /all and note your IP address. it should start with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. if so you should be able to access the web page configuration using the gateway IP address shown up in your ipconfig /all results. Likely either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
    once into the web configuration page, set up your PPPoE connection there for the router to use to access the web.
    Ensure also that your modem isn't also a router. you don't want both running dhcp servers and issuing IP addresses.

OK!

I will try and clear up any confusion I may have caused.
    The information in you reply is correct.

This is what I want to accomplish: Access my DSL with my Laptop via a wireless connection.

Info: ISP -- AT&T
    ADSL Modem -- SpeedStream 5100a (Four Lights) NOTE: Doesn't support
    bridge mode
    Router -- Linksys B Wireless router BEFW11S4 Ver. 4.

Configuration 1. SpeedStream 5100a Modem (WAN Port) -->
    PPPoE Setup on computer via Network Manager -> DSL
    -> DSL Tab: Username
    Password
    2. SpeedStream 5100a Modem (WAN Port) --> Router (WAN Port)
    Router (Computer Port '1') -> Computer

This is what I did after I connected the ADSL Modem/Router/Computer:
    a. Checked ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 99:99:99:99:99:9a
    inet6 addr: fe80::221:97ff:fe45:295f/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:26982 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:15157 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:39783628 (39.7 MB) TX bytes:1237010 (1.2 MB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:11273 (11.2 KB) TX bytes:11273 (11.2 KB)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:71.146.148.153 P-t-P:71.146.159.254 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
    RX packets:26952 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:15115 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:39188810 (39.1 MB) TX bytes:902869 (902.8 KB)
    b. Rebooted the system
    c. Opened my Web Browser (Firefox)
    I could access the Internet but I could not access the routers setup page
    (http://192.168.1.1).
    d. Opened NetworkManager
    Selected DSL Tab -> Clicked DSL Connection 1 -> Clicked the Edit BUTTON
    -> Clicked the IPv4 Tab
    Method: Selected Manual
    Addresses: Clicked the ADD BUTTON
    Entered the following information:
    Address Netmask Gateway
    10.0.0.23 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1
    e. I noticed the Ethernet cables were old and missing clips.
    f. Shut system down -> Bought 2 Ethernet Cables -> Reconnected Modem/Router/Computer.
    g. Turned system on
    When the system came up I noticed I had a eth0 connection
    h. I accessed the router's setup page 192.168.1.1
    1. Selected PPP0E -> Entered Username -> Entered Password -> Changed Router
    IP to 192.168.2.1 -> Saved Settings
    2. Change SSID -> Saved Settings
    3. Setup WPA -> Saved Settings
    4. Changed Administrator Password -> Saved Settings
    i. Opened NetworkManager
    1. Selected DSL Tab -> Clicked DSL Connection 1 -> Clicked the Edit BUTTON
    -> Clicked the DELETE BUTTON
    2. Selected Wired Tab -> Clicked Auto eth0 ion -> Clicked the Edit BUTTON
    -> Check the Connect Automatically and the Available to all User boxes
    -> Clicked the Wired Tab and added the MAC Address
    i. Rebooted the system
    j. Checked ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 99:99:99:99:99:9a
    inet addr:192.168.2.102 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::221:97ff:fe45:295f/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:3196 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2923 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:3220792 (3.2 MB) TX bytes:394948 (394.9 KB)
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:792 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:792 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:68565 (68.5 KB) TX bytes:68565 (68.5 KB)

All systems GO!

Bottom Line: I can access the internet from my Desktop and from my Laptop via a wireless connection.

Information overload! but if all systems GO, it can't be all bad. As you are DSL, you may wish to change MTU to 1490 instead of 1500.