I'd like to announce a public beta testing for the TCP Optimizer version 2. Note that this is a temporary link to a beta release, and you should use it only at your own risk, after having a current backup of your Registry, and only if you are confident you know what you're doing.
With that disclaimer out of the way, there are some bug fixes and a number of new tweaks added since version 1, and we've tried to work out all known bugs in the program. It now includes a preview of all registry changes after hitting "Apply changes" and before editing the Registry as well. Here is a link to the current version (link has been updated to the Final Version 2 of the program):
We're also adding documentation with this release, that can be accessed here: http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php Please note the list of changes and additions in the documentation as well.
What we're looking for is for users to go over the different options in the program and look for any odd problems. We're particularly interested in how it runs in Novell Netware environment (there was a minor Registry permissions issue with version 1, that I hope we've fixed with this release). Also, we're looking for any permissions problems with writing to the Registry on servers, workstations, with different Windows versions and non-trivial networks.
We'd appreciate all feedback, comments, and suggestions. Questions are welcome as well. We'd like to hear about any problems you might experience with it. Please post in this thread, or email me.
Please stay on topic in this thread.
Edit (04.11.2005): Fixes/changes in Beta 7:
- fixed PPPoE MTU selection in General Settings tab
- fixed Export of custom settings not to inclute MTUs for all NICs
- added more connection speed settings to the slider bar
- added text and tooltip to indicate current selected speed setting to the slider.
- rounded down the optimal RWIN algorithm recommendations for BDP values over 250000 (a bit more conservative RWIN recommendations on the high end).
- fixed Windows 9x NIC issue
Edit (04.14.2005): Fixes/changes in Beta 8:
- Fixed Tos/QoS keys (they were not added, just changed)
- extremely large MTU no longer locks the program.
- RWIN and a couple of other settings limits checked properly.
- Fixed initial RWIN value when entering "Custom settings" mode
- Updated logo to facilitate different colors.
- Fixed a remaining Windows 9x bug (not always seeing some current settings).
Edit (04.15.2005) Fixes/changes in RC1 (Release Candidate 1)
- added a check in the preferences menu to enable editing in the Registry tab.
- changed the default RWIN in Custom settings mode