Thread: Very Slow Loading Secure Websites in AOL Browser and IE

Angry Very Slow Loading Secure Websites in AOL Browser and IE

What up? :2cool:

I have a question regarding loading of secure websites in AOL and IE browsers. When i try to load a secure website with a machine running XP SP2 (celeron 1.2ghz 512MB PC133 RAM) and all the updates done to IE and using 128bit encryption, secure sites are very very slow to load actually taking up to 10 mins to load a secure page. i also get that annoying popup box asking me yes/no to invalid certificate screen.

Currently i use AOL browser and i've tried a different computer and different browser and the same site comes up very quickly on a different machine, so I am thinking it's an O/S issue with the system. I've tried IE to browse secure websites and same thing happens - the page takes its sweet time to load or it doesnt even load at all.

I've done all the updates via Windows Update, disabled firewalls, antivirus programs, and other third party apps to see if that solved problem, but still secure sites come up like the speed of a garden snail. I've also put the IE security down to lowest possible settings, installed a security certificate manually, disabled what i could in IE, but still the same situation occurs.

Anybody have any ideas on how to make secure websites load fast??? I'd appreciate any help re. this issue. By the way, I am on Broadband and don't have a problem with other websites, just secure ones.

Mike

Hi Mike,

got the exact same problem with the AOL software (same problem in 8.0 awa 9.0) here, just the other way round. Meaning: Any protocol EXCEPT for http is working properly, in other words, opening "normal" websites ist just painful and can last up to 4-5 minutes. IE, Firefox and other browsers are operating normally. Somehow the problem seems to be related with surfing through the AOL webcache/proxy. When disabling AOL Topspeed in AOL 9 client everything works fine, however AOL 9 is not an option because of the POOR support for international dial-up.

I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem or if you opted for reinstallation.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

tfranzke

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranzke View Post
    I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem or if you opted for reinstallation.
    Date of his post...03-22-05, 03:59 PM
    He hasn't been around since then...doubt you'll see him.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Date of his post...03-22-05, 03:59 PM
    He hasn't been around since then...doubt you'll see him.
    LOL, really late post.
    One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets. -Ali G

Better late than never right?

And as is mandatory... AOL sucks.

Certified SG Addict
    I didn't think people still used AOL in 2005.