Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Cable TV thru Cable Modem

rfield

Question Basic Cable TV thru Cable Modem

Hi,

I heard that there's a way to get Basic Cable TV through a Cable Modem connection. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I've already tried connecting the cable wire to a TV but it doesn't work. If someone can tell me how it's done I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,
    rfield

haze

It's real simple. Just call your cable company and order cable TV

IndyOST

Red face

Sounds like your just a modem subscriber and not a cable subscriber. If you're a modem only customer, then the cable company put a video filter on the line to block the cable channels...

------------------
    Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.
    My small part of the Web

onetrueday

If you did get the free cable service, I would even go so far as to tell your cable company about it. Beg them to remove it. There was a man in vermont(might have the wrong state) who got into some serious trouble with what you're talking about.

legalmind

Originally posted by rfield:
    Hi,

I heard that there's a way to get Basic Cable TV through a Cable Modem connection. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I've already tried connecting the cable wire to a TV but it doesn't work. If someone can tell me how it's done I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,
    rfield
    Let me see if I understand this. Can someone tell me how to steal cable TV?
    May be the reason my rates are going up! I hear they have free TV in jail and Big Jake will give you a candy bar!

Randy

yah u can break into the plastic grey box with a flathead screwdriver it gets to the point wher the plastic almost breaks but it should pop open no prb

then u will see a 4 "" (signal reducer thing) wich cuts off the tv stuff just chuck that in the nearest river and use a coupler or spliter to make the conection!

have fun Randy >. get dsl shaw @ home sux

kewlmatt13

It is Completily Illegal! But just as a side note. The guy that came and installed my @home said u can get up to ch.58 w/ the modem line...u just need a proper splitter. He was gonna give me 1 but i 4got and so did he

Matt

Myzhi

Wink

From my experience with Time Warner Roadrunner and Cablevision (now), you need to have basic cable to have enough juice for internet access. Thus, I have free basic cable, using splitter, with internet access. So instead of paying $30(basic cable) + $30(internet), I only pay $40 (internet only) for both. I found this out by talking to the cable installation guys. With Time Warner, the guy said not to hook up the cable to the TV, because there would not be enough juice for the modem. Thinking to myself, I was like "Huh." Why would I do that if I did not have regular cable. Next thing, I hook the TV up and off, I went. With Cablevision, the cable dude thought he was going to subscribe to cable service so he did not bring the internet kit with the modem. So, what he did first was activate the line, and later on, he would bring me kit. I was like how do I know the line is working. He said "Just connect the line to the TV and see if I got any signal." Sure, enough, it did. Once the modem came, I was sitting pretty with free cable and internet access.

@home cable man

buy a splitter and splice into the line.. in the cable system i live in you can get about 10 channels even with the filters on . and by the way not all systems use the same filters i work wiht in 12 citys and i have to have over 20 different filters .. if your going to steal cable service make sure you hook up more than yourself .think about it . they coma and audit your box outside your house and your the only one hooked up with out paying for it .. kind of a dead giveaway.. so be nice and help your friend out and do his to..filters are 2-13 a-?? chanel a is 14 so if you have HBO on channel 21 just find the trap marked H on your drop line shhhhh dont tell anyone

ZenOps

Yup, just get a splitter and run one line to your TV. In many cases when you get basic cable modem service channels 2-13 even if you didn't pay for it. Reason being, the filter/blocker for those channels is quite expensive and a little bit on the rare side.

The cable companies assumed that there would never be a need for a channel 2-13 blocker (if you ordered cable, those would be the basic channels after all, either that or they would just not install the line), and hence they never really mass manufactured that specific channel frequency filter/blocker.

IndyOST

Thumbs down

Originally posted by ZenOps:
    Yup, just get a splitter and run one line to your TV. In many cases when you get basic cable modem service channels 2-13 even if you didn't pay for it. Reason being, the filter/blocker for those channels is quite expensive and a little bit on the rare side.

The cable companies assumed that there would never be a need for a channel 2-13 blocker (if you ordered cable, those would be the basic channels after all, either that or they would just not install the line), and hence they never really mass manufactured that specific channel frequency filter/blocker.
    Sorry, in ain't gonna work...the cable companies are using specific band pass filters, allowing just the modem frequencies to pass thru...hence, no channels at all...if you are getting cable and not paying for it, you're doing it ilegally. If you don't think you'll get caught, just keep in mind that the companies hire out auditors to go around and looks specifically for people hooked up illegally like this...

Just thought you'd like to know...

------------------
    Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.
    My small part of the Web

ZenOps

Well, up here in Canada if you order Cable modem without cable TV service, 99 percent of the time you get channels 2-13 free. Rogers/Shaw @ home has finally figured a way around this... They charge an extra $10/month if you do not already have cable TV service. (But 2-13 are still there)

It costs more to get a cable guy to come out and install that filter. Besides, by blocking channel 2, it gets awfully close to the blocking the data frequencies that cable modems use, its just a bad idea.

rfield

If I do get a splitter I don't think it will work still. The reason being as I stated in my original message: "I tried to connect the cable modem wire directly to the TV and I couldn't pick up any channels than I otherwise would have if I didn't have it hooked up." So a splitter wouldn't make a difference. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    rfield

Venom

rfield:

Well to tell you the truth the spliter idea will work, your just thinking about the cable thats connected to your cable modem, you know in the wall behind that white plastic is a filter to filter out the signals, the Cable signal is way to strong for the TV so there has to be a special spliter that will stop the high frequency of the cable internet from going to your TV. But the thing is, it's nice to know this but if you get cought your gona wish you never tryed it *lol* now a days hacking and phreaking is not taken like it use to be a simple thief, now they are treated worse, because they don't think you just read it some where, they think your way to smart to be running lose *lol* I pay for both usually if you have Cable the internet is a little cheaper, what I would do is find out if they have any packages for basic cable and cable internet. But hey it's up to you

------------------
    \/E(\)()(\/)

crazyman

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Randy:
    yah u can break into the plastic grey box with a flathead screwdriver it gets to the point wher the plastic almost breaks but it should pop open no prb

then u will see a 4 "" (signal reducer thing) wich cuts off the tv stuff just chuck that in the nearest river and use a coupler or spliter to make the conection!

have fun Randy >. get dsl shaw @ home sux

ya he'll have fun with dial up again,thats messed up randy.thats real intelligent,you're probably some kid jerkin off up in your bedroom too.I am real sick of people always trying to get something for nothing,why can't people just play by the rules and do the right thing in life.????

crazyman

Thumbs down

why do you people feel so good about stealing ? you act as though gee I am so cool because I am screwing my cable company,well it's NOT cool ,what you are doing!!!IT"S STEALING!!!don't people have any morals or personal integrity anymore ? just because you are not walking out of a store with a bottle you just stole,it's the same thing ! it's like the old saying "LIVE LIKE EVERYTHING YOU DO IS PRINTED IN THE NEWSPAPER" be honest !!!!!!(Randy,kewlmatt13,Myzhi, @home cable man,ZenOps,ZenOps,rfield)

Myzhi

Cool

Yeah, my insurance went down too, but not because the insurance company want to take a paycut. It's because I turned 25 plus my speeding ticket got remove from my history after 5 years. I betcha once I get marry it will even be cheaper. By the way, if your paying for both, it's $60 a month.

[This message has been edited by Myzhi (edited 12-18-2000).]

JL Sparks

Talking

I don't expect anyone to take a paycut: I know I don't want one! Rates will continue to rise with inflation.

If people want to steal to get what they want, so be it. The rest of us will pay for goods and services we recieve, and we'll pay a premium on top of that for those who steal.

And you're right, if you're paying for both it's about $60 per month. Maybe if people can't afford that, they should look at their budget and prioritize their expenses -- rather than stealing

[This message has been edited by JL Sparks (edited 12-18-2000).]

Myzhi

"If people want to steal to get what they want, so be it. The rest of us will pay for goods and services we recieve, and we'll pay a premium on top of that for those who steal."

Then I guess you agree with the record companies arguement. Have fun letting companies overcharge you. Also, I take it that you are a saint and never have done anything illegal, like downloading mp3, games, programs, and etc. You just use your internet service to browse the net.

[This message has been edited by Myzhi (edited 12-18-2000).]

JL Sparks

Cool

The difference between theft of service on this issue, and the "record companies argument" is evident. If you own the license for a retail copy of a CD, you are permitted by law to make a personal copy for "back-up" purposes. There is likely no implied permission from your cable provider to use their service without paying for it.

Do you truly believe that using a pay service that you haven't paid for is permissible? No one will convince you otherwise, and I certainly won't attempt to again. As I stated in an earlier post, expirimentation and exploration for the sake of building knowledge is admirable and educational. This is the classic hacker argument, and one which I support. However, true hackers draw the line when their actions cause harm to the company or infrastructure where they are tinkering. A cracker, on the other hand, cares not of financial or technical harm that is caused as a result of their actions. Crackers are motivated solely by self-interest and selfishness, not at all by a yearning to learn more about a system. What's been advocated here is cracking at its worst.

I'm done.. sorry to rant.