Thread: BF-V install issues?

BF-V install issues?

Anyone run across issues where you uninstall the game and did manual searches looking for any undeleted files, yet still have problems reinstalling? A family member of mine said he had uninstalled the game using the built in uninstaller, made sure nothing residual was left over, and went to reinstall it and it wont allow him. Im assuming theres probably left overs in the registry, but I dont want to tell him to look there because, well, hes not totally computer literate with that type of thing.

I guess Im curious if there is a small program that will do auto searches for key words in the registry, such as 'Battlefield', or 'EAGames', 'Vietnam' etc etc? Then allow him to delete.

Thanks in advance.

Kin6

Dunno about a program that will search the registry. But Im pretty sure he will have to go through the registry to get it working right.

START , RUN , Type ...regedit and delete these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Vietnam

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield Vietnam

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield Vietnam(TM)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\PunkBuster for Battlefield Vietnam

Then it should install fine. Hope he get's it working

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by |D|Kin6slay3r
    Anyone run across issues where you uninstall the game and did manual searches looking for any undeleted files, yet still have problems reinstalling? A family member of mine said he had uninstalled the game using the built in uninstaller, made sure nothing residual was left over, and went to reinstall it and it wont allow him. Im assuming theres probably left overs in the registry, but I dont want to tell him to look there because, well, hes not totally computer literate with that type of thing.

I guess Im curious if there is a small program that will do auto searches for key words in the registry, such as 'Battlefield', or 'EAGames', 'Vietnam' etc etc? Then allow him to delete.

Thanks in advance.

Kin6
    I remember a problem like this awhile back. Theres another folder somewhere, just don't remember where. I'll look for it when I get home this evening.

All you had to do was look at my top stickied thread for the answer...

Here is the exact answer:

I can't uninstall/reinstall the game.
    Question

Why can't I uninstall/reinstall the game?
    Answer

This usually indicates a corruption in the registry entry of the game. We will have to perform a manual uninstall of the game with the use of the Windows registry editor.

Remember that editing your computers registry incorrectly can severely damage your operating system. We recommend having a computer professional perform these steps. If you are confident, however, that you can edit your registry successfully, then please follow the instructions below carefully.

It is always a good idea to backup the registry just in case any instability is discovered after you have modified the windows registry. The following instructions will teach you how to A)backup the registry, B)perform the regedit, C)manual uninstall any leftover files for the game, and D)how to restore the registry backup, if necessary:

A) How to backup the registry:

1. Click the Start button-> Run

2. Type in 'regedit'

3. Click on the Registry (File in Windows 2000/XP) menu, then click Export Registry File

4. Type in 'backup' for the File name, and make sure the
    Export Range is set to All.

5. Click Save

6. Save the file as Backup.reg

7. Close the registry editor

You have now backed up your windows registry.

B) Performing the regedit and a manual uninstall for the game

2. Type in 'regedit'

3. Double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder

4. Open Software folder

5. Open Electronic Arts

6. Open the EA Games folder within the Electronic Arts folder

7. Delete the Battlefield Vietnam folder

8. Open the other EA Games folder

9. Delete the entire Battlefield
    Vietnam folder

10. Open the Microsoft folder

11. Open the Windows folder

12. Open the Current Version folder

13. Open the Uninstall folder and delete the following item, if you see it:

Delete the {E35B3C63-E958-4E31-A178-95D22024109A} folder for Battlefield
    Vietnam

14. Close the registry editor

C) We must now manually remove any leftover game files you may still have on the computer

1. Open My Computer

2. Open C:

3. Open Program Files

4. Open EA Games

5. Delete the Battlefield Vietnam folder

6. Close the EA Games folder

7. Open My Computer

8. Open C:

9. Open Program Files

10. From the Menu Bar, select Tools> Folder Options

11. Select the View Tab

12. Check 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'

13. Press Apply and OK

14. Open Installshield Installation Information folder and delete the following folder if you see it:

{E35B3C63-E958-4E31-A178-95D22024109A} folder for Battlefield
    Vietnam

The game is now completely uninstalled.

E) Restoring the registry back up (This step is only necessary, if you are experiencing any issues with your operating system after you have performed the regedit)

2. Type in 'regedit'

3. Click on the Registry (File in Windows 2000/XP) menu, and then click Import Registry File

4. Find the backup file you created earlier and click on it

5. Click Open and this will restore the registry

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

SG Enthusiast
    14. Open Installshield Installation Information folder and delete the following folder if you see it:

{E35B3C63-E958-4E31-A178-95D22024109A} folder for Battlefield
    Vietnam

---------------

That's the one I was thinking of, I think. Thanks UOD.

This is all great info. But I must restate that the person doing this has not one clue in how things like this are done. I have no way of talking to him other than by email. Thats why I was curious if there was a program that allowed a search/deletion of items in the registry without actually having to access it by regedit. Thanks again for the help fellas. If nothing pans out I'll have to get it done another way!

~'~|D|HawaiianGhost~'~ HawaiianGhost's Avatar
    In a chair, in front of my rig, staring at my avatar... <(0.0)>
    This is all great info. But I must restate that the person doing this has not one clue in how things like this are done. I have no way of talking to him other than by email. Thats why I was curious if there was a program that allowed a search/deletion of items in the registry without actually having to access it by regedit. Thanks again for the help fellas. If nothing pans out I'll have to get it done another way!
    Kin6,

Can you talk to that person via phone and have them setup "Remote Desktop" access for you to edit the registry? Just a suggestion/thought....
    DA' BEAST:
    Win2000Pro/WinXpPro SP2||AMD AXP 2700+ T-Bred 2.2GHz w/Thermalright SLK-800 & Tt Smart FanII||ASUS A7V333/R||1GB PC2700 Corsair VS||Lite-On 52x CD-Rom||Yamaha CRW-F1ZEN 44x24x44 Burner||2xWD800JBSE in RAID-0, 1xWDSE800JB & 1xWDSE1600JB backups||SBAudigy OEMBulk||Enermax EG465AX-VE
    Chaintech GF4 Ti4200 128MB "GT21" w/ViVo SE

--------------------------------------
    Game with the ~RealmOfGhost'z~, [SG], |D|

Well Kin6, gotta be honest here....it's time for your relative to learn. I'm sure as smart a guy as you are, you can teach him. The above steps are dead on, but if you wanna try just getting rid of one folder then get rid of this one:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{E35B3C63-E958-4E31-A178-95D22024109A}

Once you get rid of that, it should....should be good to go. But that is a big maybe.

But unless you take the time now to teach him....you are the one that will keep getting the calls for help.

I also second the opinion of HG....remote in and do it for him.

EDIT: If he has email, he obviously has an internet provider....why not get him on Teamspeak???????

nubs + registry = BAD
    Crackin' skulls and breaking kneecaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimson
    nubs + registry = BAD

you were a noob once.....

Yea but newbs+experimenting with registry = creates more problems than I want to deal with! Thanks again everyone for the help!

Yea but newbs+experimenting with registry = creates more problems than I want to deal with! Thanks again everyone for the help!

qft

qft

omg....why don't I get you a vacuum..that way you can suck up to Kin6 even more!

will a Eureka do fine????

also...kin6, why don't you make a batch file for him to run that will get rid of the files in question?

Quote Originally Posted by UOD
    omg....why don't I get you a vacuum..that way you can suck up to Kin6 even more!

will a Eureka do fine????

also...kin6, why don't you make a batch file for him to run that will get rid of the files in question?

and you can stfu, just b/c I agree with him you call it sucking up.

jackass

and you can stfu, just b/c I agree with him you call it sucking up.

jackass

suckup suckup suckup!!!!!!

Grim, make him get u a dyson!

Still Having Problems?!?!?

Hi, I Am Still Having Problems, I Have Done Your Step By Step instructions Checked The Registry, There Is Nothing There, And Still Will Not Unintall Properly..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumdumnoob View Post
    Hi, I Am Still Having Problems, I Have Done Your Step By Step instructions Checked The Registry, There Is Nothing There, And Still Will Not Unintall Properly..
    How about some details..such as the error you're getting? Been a looong time since this game was out 'n popular, but someone can probably remember other fixes.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!