Thread: changing IP address on HP LaserJet 4+ PC

changing IP address on HP LaserJet 4+ PC

I just received my HP lazerjet 4 plus printer that I got off of Ebay, its working for the most part, but I can't figure out how to change the IP address on this printer. Does anybody know how?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Assuming it has the built in JetDirect card, you can download and use HP's Network Printer Installer utility. It will discover the device, and allow you to configure it. Once you discover an HP JetDirect, you can also access it by HTTP into it's built in interface.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    That little green LED, on boy...fun going through it. Menu/Select/+/- buttons....lol. I've done it hundreds of times, but it's so funky I still have to pratically figure it out each time.

Try to get it to print a self config page first...you might be lucky, have the thing set to DHCP, and it'll pull an IP from your server, you can connect to it via web admin, or telnet, if you wish. If it's not, you can do a hard reset on it, which will set it back to pull from DHCP...then print another config page to find out it's current IP.

Else, just HP's web direct software (new version of their jet admin), which grabs it via the MAC, allows you to reconfigure it.

All else fails, that menu, reconfigure MIO, you'll get to it after a few dozen tries.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I managed to do a hard reset and now the jet direct card is in DHCP mode...thanks guys for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I prefer to lock down TCP printers on a static LAN IP address. Because if you leave them to DHCP....due to various circumstances, one day down the road you'll find it obtains a different IP address. Note when you setup NT to a TCP printer, it creates a TCP print port to that IP address. Change the IP address of the printer, and TCP print port still looks for the old IP address, and printing till cease til you redirect it to a new IP (delete old, create new).

Just give it an IP outside of your DHCP handout range.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!