Thread: What are the signs of a bad modem/nic?

Question What are the signs of a bad modem/nic?

I have lately been having trouble connecting to the internet with my Westell aDSL modem. 98% of the time, it won't connect all of a sudden. The modem's activity light will flash orange instead of green but my NIC(Kingston) seems to be working fine.

My question is, if the modem is to blame what are true tell tale signs that it is screwed up? Or what do you suggest I do to find the culprit?

Every now and then, it will connect only for the server to disconnect me after about 20 minutes .

I am running WIN2K.

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: reverse ]
    If I wanted any lip from you, I would scrape my zipper.

The first step in trouble shooting a cable/DSL connection, is calling the Cable company and having them take a look. If the problem lies with the modem, they will figure it out and replace it. If the nic card is at fault, and they installed it, they will replace it. I doubt it is the nic card, usually the computer will lock up while on the net if it is. However, it may be drivers.
    I read this board just about everyday and alot of people on here complain about service from their cable/DSL company yet they never call them to have them check it out. I also know that sometimes you get a bad tech that doesn't know anything. I am a cable company tech that fixes the problems that other tech can't.

Besides if it is the cable/DSL companies fault, either thru equiptment or service, they will fix it, or should fix it.

I am goin to get flamed for this LOL,

Do your worst!!!!!

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: fail66 ]
    return path failed, call a main line guy!!

Talking

I agree,
    If the modem is not getting the green light then it's either not getting or losing the signal.
    Time to call IP techie!
    The reason People don't call the Techie is because they want something Techie can't give!
    That's more speed.
    My expericence with problem solving has been good with my provider... but get more speed? heh heh...... that is another story!
    No Question is a dumb Question when it comes to Tweaking!

Yeah, it seems I get all the dumb@sses in their tech dept (which seems to be in Georgia). So, no.1 I have to listen carefully so that I can understand them even though they have heavy accents and no.2 I usually have to correct them and tell them things like "don't you mean TCP/IP, I don't think it's called TCI/IP."

I can never get them to just let me speak to a level 2 tech so I have to waste about an hour reinstalling the software about 4 times until they finally realize that isn't the problem.

I installed the setup myself so I can't blame them. It has worked flawlessly before, it's just starting to give me problems now and this sort of thing happened once before about 2 weeks ago.

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: reverse ]

Thanks for the help guys. I will try calling them but I will probably be on the phone with them until saturday

Smile

Before you call, Try resyn the modem. See if this works. Sounds Like you have a bad line comeing in to the house. If you go to on line service tec. I always seem to have better luck that way. I get a ticket and some usally calls the next day and has someone out the following day. Thats if your provider has a online tec service. Hope this helps.
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

sounds like a line issue to me. usualy when its a bad modem it just dosent do anything but i have had some that were just consistantly slow. call the cable company and tell them your loosing connection. im a tech.
    dont piss off the cable techs we are your only salvation!!!