Thread: Internet Explorer keeps freezing up (Not Responding)

Internet Explorer keeps freezing up (Not Responding)

I have IE 6.0 and have all my updates downloaded and installed, but whenever I'm surfing the internet, my IE keeps locking up and at the top it says (Not Responding). I've ran Ad-Aware and Spy-bot to get rid of all the spyware, but IE still locks up. It happens very frequently as well. Anyone know the problem? Thanks.

You may want to try repairing your IE6 installation. For those using an OS earlier than Windows XP, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Double click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools. Select Repair Internet Explorer & hit Ok. This will fix any detected errors in your IE6 installation. Reboot for the changes to take effect.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

How about for those with Windows XP? How do I go about repairing IE? Thanks.

The Repair Process

With your Windows XP CD in the tray, you will want to run a repair by typing sfc /scannow so that the utility can scan for any changes and make needed repairs to Windows components such as IE. If this fails to work, then move on to step two.
    Create a restore point with Windows System Restore. Then start the Registry Editor by typing regedit from the Run box. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} and then right-click the “IsInstalled value.” Click Modify. From there, you will change the value from 1 to 0. All right, go ahead and close the editor. Download and install Internet Explorer 6.

Note: I am not running XP and have never tried step 2 myself.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

I have IE 8 Beta 2 and had a Google toolbar with it. I recently had a "trojan" removed and since then my IE would freeze with a pop-up about Google. I removed the Google toolbar from IE and now am able to access IE. I have both IE and Mozilla Firefox which I enjoy the latter so much better, anyone else experiencing similar problems?

If you had a spyware infection, repairing IE WILL NOT FIX it. You must remove all of the spyware and leftovers, such as malicious BHOs and ActiveX controls.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Optimize your web browser by resolving Internet Explorer not responding error encountered on your computer.

Each step is accompanied by an indicative screenshot for the ease of mirroring the action.

Did you know that you can resolve more than 90% of technical problems, quickly and easily? Click on each step in the vertical menu to the left of this page or click on the ‘Previous’ or ‘Next’ buttons at the bottom of this section to navigate through the solution.

* Click on ‘Start’
    * Hold down ‘Ctrl,’ ‘Alt,’ ‘Del’
    * Click ‘Control Panel’
    * Click ‘Add/Remove Programs’
    * Open ‘My Computer’
    * Click ‘Restart’
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-a60cd3bdbd1d