Thread: Download Speed vs Connection Speed

Download Speed vs Connection Speed

Hey guys, I've just got a quick question. I've noticed with any speed test that they have a "connection speed" and a "download speed". I was just wondering what the difference was between the two, and also, what limits my download speed? Would it be my computer, or the server I'm downloading from? As well are there any steps to take increase the download speed as opposed to my connection speed? Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgen
    Hey guys, I've just got a quick question. I've noticed with any speed test that they have a "connection speed" and a "download speed". I was just wondering what the difference was between the two, and also, what limits my download speed? Would it be my computer, or the server I'm downloading from? As well are there any steps to take increase the download speed as opposed to my connection speed? Any info would be appreciated.
    Hardly none, its like some people say BMW and some say beemer....But 99.9% of the time when somebody says connection speed they mean your download speed or the speed the data comes to your PC.

EVGA 780i A1/QX9770 @ 4.2ghz/4GB XMS2 @ 1.0ghz/150GB Raptors Raid 0
    750GB drive for storage/20x Lite On SATA DVDs/EVGA 8800GT SSC SLI/Enermax Galaxy Kilowatt PSU/Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

SG Enthusiast
    If you had to find a difference, I'd say connection speed is the max your line can handle. Download speed would be (connection speed minus tcp overhead, etc). The first is theoretical, the second is actual.

So on a 1500kb line you might be downloading at 1300kb.

If you use my definitions, you cannot increase you connection speed (unless you buy a new package from your ISP) but you can possibly improve your download speed.

Have fun,

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quick question about your connection what are you on? Cable? Dial up? If you want ways in increase your Speed ya need to specify that so we can give certain pointers cause alot of things down' work for each. As for Connection Vs Speed The above post I go with..

i could be wrong about this, but i think this is what happens

connection speed is the speed at which you can transmit data over your line

the reason that you see a big drop between what you're promised by your ISP and what you download files at is because of the way data is transmitted. When you download a byte or whatever amount of data that comes at a time, it comes in a packet which has lots of other things slapped in it (it's known as control information). This stuff is like error checking for the data being delivered, as well as where it's going and where it's coming from. unfortunately, the control information can take up a fair amount of space. So when you're downloading at x bytes/sec, and you're paying for y byte/sec, (provided that you're downloading at the maximum speed your isp will allow) then (1 - (x/y)) * 100 will give you the percentage of control information that you're transmitting. if, for example, you download at 500 kb/s and you're rated at 5mbit/s (notice that 8bits = 1byte, tricky... but they do that), then [1 - (500/(5000/8))] * 100 = 20%. that means that every megabyte you download, you will only receive 800kbs and the other 200kb will be discarded once it reaches your computer.

if i'm wrong, please tell me so i can understand more.

well for starters this thread is 4 years old...

Just because the thread is however old, doesn't mean you have to be a prick about it.

Welcome to the forums, 95% of the time when someone mentions the connection speed they are referring to the highest speed of the connection which is almost always the download speed.

So for instances when you see a ISP mention they have a 6mb connection they are referring to the download speed which is 6mb.

My ISP Comcast for example says my connection is 16mb, which is my download speed.

EVGA 780i A1/QX9770 @ 4.2ghz/4GB XMS2 @ 1.0ghz/150GB Raptors Raid 0
    750GB drive for storage/20x Lite On SATA DVDs/EVGA 8800GT SSC SLI/Enermax Galaxy Kilowatt PSU/Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Quote Originally Posted by illestdynasty View Post
    Just because the thread is however old, doesn't mean you have to be a prick about it.
    LMAO... the thread is 4 years old... how is me pointing that out being a prick?

The guy obviously either doesn't have the issue no more or isn't coming back to the forums as of 4 years ago cause the problem was solved or gave up.

I really think you need to step back a second and rethink your accusation towards me. I've been helping on this forum for longer than this thread has existed.

Alright, so i have a question.

I am paying for 7Mb/s Road Runner service, but all Speed Tests I perform come up around 15 - 20 Mb/s Download. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by teresa412009 View Post
    i've no idea for that
    spam