Thread: Why do cats eat birds heads?

Why do cats eat birds heads?

Why oh why?

Our cat caught two birds today and both times she was found having eaten off their heads and busily gnawing on their necks. The one this morning she was not interested in stopping her gnawing, I had to take it away from her... then she came back and started gnawing its wing.

Why the head though? I mean... there's other parts of the birds that are slightly less boney and beaky surely...

Doesn't worry me at all that she catches birds, they're non-native. The native birds around here are somewhat bigger than the cat- white sulphur crested cockatoos, black cockatoos, Australian Magpies, Australian Crow etc. I've seen magpies attacking cats rather than the other way around. So I'm happy she's eating these foreign invaders - starlings mostly which we consider a pest, just curious why head first?
    Australian Regular Army and proud of it.

There's a dead bird laying in my back yard right now, killed by my cat. The head is still there.
    © Copyright 2005, Brandon_k_W Inc. ® ™

My cat loves rabbit heads. Just the head...nothing else. I find it odd also. Seems like they would want the meatier parts....maybe the brains taste the best to em??
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Because the neck is tender and tasty!
    Applies whether raw or cooked.
    Cooked, the most flavorful and tasty part of a chicken or turkey is the neck.
    Everybody likes head.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

On small birds the head is the tastiest part, but on larger birds it tends to be gamey and a bit hard to chew. IMHO
    Null

Hanging out with Prince Albert Needlefreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    Because the neck is tender and tasty!
    Applies whether raw or cooked.
    Cooked, the most flavorful and tasty part of a chicken or turkey is the neck.
    Everybody likes head.
    Quoted for truth.

They also like "Fish Heads" ....

A shamless plug for the Dr. Demento fans.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill
    They also like "Fish Heads" ....

A shamless plug for the Dr. Demento fans.
    Eat them up, Yum!
    Picture yourself
    Set up for good in a whole other life
    In the mystery zone

The almighty capocuoco TrUtHsMaCkEr's Avatar
    never had that problem, i have 1 old male that used to hunt not anymore tho, a diseased male that hunted mice and birds and rabbits and 2 females now that hunt squirrels mice birds and rabbits. ive never seen one decapitated though. most of them are brought to the porch to be shown off. my diseased male once caught a baby rabbit (now my mom u have to understand loves cats but she also loves little animals which is all they hunt so she almost screamed when she saw this) and brought the baby rabbit in his mouth to the back porch to show off and it was still alive. i had to wrestle it out of the mouth and set it free but it was pretty funny. our cats love catching something and either playing w/ the corpse, like a mouse, or showing it off.
    The Almighty Capocuoco/Tao_jones_Titan

Folding with TheFallenAngels

They say the Showing off is an offering to it's masters to show that it is doing it's job in ridding the household of pests ... While normally refusing tobring it in doors ....

Our old Cat ( died at 15yrs old ) used to biring small mice and lay them right in the center of our Sidewalk just at the foot of the steps ... We would walk out in the mornings and find it laying there ... Never once was it layed on the actual steps , but always in the same spot about 12" from the bottom step center of the Sidewalk.

I always made sure to pet the wonderful Kitty ( regardless of the fact I didnt' want the damn mice on my sidewalk to clean up ) for doing what it thought was the best. For trying in it's own way to show appreciation and lovefor our family by protecting it against Varmen ...
    Network Engineer for Linux/Windows/Netware servers and connectivity for remotes sites via VPN in Roanoke, VA.

She wasn't showing these ones off. Usually she does with mice and sparrows once she's eaten the sparrows heads. I suppose she was still busy eating the choice parts and hadn't gotten around to showing off, usually we find them at either the front or back door.

She doesn't eat mouse heads though... maybe they're a bit gamey. They're usually alive when she brings them back though, maybe if we left them with her she'd eat their heads eventually... not sure. Will try.

She doesn't like rats though. Last cat, cunningly named 'Big Cat', did hunt and catch rats- she got a couple of reallyt big ones... didn't eat their heads though. She was a bit slow for birds, don't remember her catching any.

Our dog is a bit of a bird eater, he consumed a budgierigar (small parrot, about sparrow size) whole a few years back... suppose he liked its head too... It's a crazy world.

Anyhow, we've established it's my cats peculiarity which is good enough, thanks folks
    Australian Regular Army and proud of it.

Blog Entries
    Maybe the bird head is like a tootsie roll pop? How many licks does it take to get to the center? One will never know...

------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein