Thread: Does the weather affect cable modem throughput?

glc1

Throughput, no; downtime, yes, at least in my area. I had several short-term outages in my area during the summer, when the temp broke 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

andrewe77

Wink

Looks like its just router problems out on the internet. Dslreports speedtests are horribly slow but I just downloaded at 4mbps from Netscape.

Beelzebub

Good Question.

Downtime does indeed sound logical.

But I am wondering -
    couldn't water/snow/ice/H2O in some form, get into a connection point and cause probs ??
    Can a cable line not get shorted, would it go out completely or have no effect?

Thanks,

~Bub

JL Sparks

Interesting question.. we had a cold snap yesterday, accompanied by snow and ice as well. I've noticed this morning and tonight that pages are loading slower, and I'm having some problems pulling in downloads. Nothing on my laptop has changed; now that you bring it up the only variable that seems to have changed is the weather.

@home cable man

weather DOES has affect on siginal. but if everything is good on the cable plant then there should be no problems .if there is a underground cable that has a NIC in it a short is bound to happen then the entire run goes down. if it is a cable in the air a nic in the cable will go out when the first rain or heavy dew comes along.. tap go bad when lightining strikes are close .im are system most taps that go bad just affect the persons being feed off of them.. corrosion can affect strength of siginal and also create signial to noise problems . i can go on and on but to answer the orginal question NO if everything is in working order it should not affect anything. if something if bad you will know it soon enough

donald_k

Talking

Would the signal be affected if the temperature is -30*C to -45*C (our high was -16 today but only rose to -20). I can take coax (RG59 not RG6), leave it outside for 20 minutes and bend it, it will snap.

legalmind

Somewhere water is getting into a fitting. I had a underground box getting water into about 3 years ago.
    Took some time to find it, but that was the problem. Once in planting a tree we nicked a cable line and had the same problem after watering.

andrewe77

Question Does the weather affect cable modem throughput?

It just iced and snowed here last night and my downloads are inconsistant and slow.

Storm90

Talking

Not really! Unless you have a bad line comeing into the house. I would call my provider and have it check out.

MtCableman

The cold will affect the attenuation of the coax. This decrease could cause distortions if the cable amplifiers aren't set up right. Usually the AGC (Automatic Gain Controls) in the amps will take care of this problem.

The cold will also cause physical pull back of mainline fittings if the quality of work is poor. This will cause problems on the lower channels and severely affect the return freqs. Usually this problem will be noticed in lack of service.

If everything has been taken of, the weather has no affect on the service.

------------------
    Closed course and Professional user.
    Don't try this at Home!

HalfLifer

Got 13 inches of snow, 5 degree weather. I still download at my usual 400-500 KB/sec.

chimp

Yes the snow does decrease your speed. Everyone stays home and downloads mp3's. Like me. : )

Originally posted by chimp:
    Yes the snow does decrease your speed. Everyone stays home and downloads mp3's. Like me. : )
    exactly, that's more likely the cause

when it's bad weather and everybody is stuck at home, or voluntarily staying at home, they are more likely to be on the Web doing whatever, making the whole thing slow because everybody is on it, with cable since it's a shared medium this effects it greatly...

------------------
    Striking Fear in the Heart of Newbies Because I am BRENT JUSTICE: Man of Action Defender of Good and Destroyer of Evil

My site www.coremeltdown.com