Thread: How do I increase Upload speed for @Home using Surfboard cable modem

jrhvball

Angry How do I increase Upload speed for @Home using Surfboard cable modem

Does anyone know how to increase my upload speed with my cable modem (Surfboard cable modem)? I am an @Home subscriber and my download speed rocks, but my upload speed tests miserably. Is there a setting I can tweak to improve this? I am frustrated with my upload speed, it is worse than using a 56k modem? Help!!!

------------------

glc1

Welcome to Speed Guide jrhvball...

Most of @Home is capped at 128kbps (16KBps) up. You most likely are too. If this is the case, there is nothing you can do, if you reaching this cap. If your not reaching your cap, try the appropriate Speed Guide patch.

JL Sparks

hi jhrvball, you've come to the right place.

Check out the tweaks here http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/
    and be sure to read through this discussion forum.. you'll find there's no perfect tweak that works for everyone, but with some research and some testing you'll probably find something that works well for you.

Hope this helps!

Beelzebub

Well what are you getting for upload speeds, and what is your "cap" (limit) for uploading (you'll probably have to ask your local provider what your cap is). Most of the @home network has caps on uploading that is far below what they allow for downloading. I am able to UL at about 256 kbps max, while many @home customers have a cap of 128 kbps (16 Mbps). (and some seem to have no cap)

If your are not yet familiar with Registry tweaking, go back to the home page of this site and read up on it in their Patches and Tweaks pages. But first be sure to know how to back up and restore your Registry before you start to play with it. Make sure you use the correct settings or patch for your operating system. And my advice is to forget about trying the @Home patch, because from what I've heard it isn't very good. (though if all else fails, you might give it a try...)

Good luck!

~ Bub

jrhvball

To everyone that replied, thank you so much for your input. I know that my current upload cap is 128kbps, but I'm not getting anywhere near that upload speed. I have applied a patch from this site which has inproved my download speed but my upload speed was unaffected. I would say that I average anywhere from 30-50kbps upload speed and the fastest I've ever seen is is in the 80's. Is there anything or any specific patch I can add to increase this performance? I'm still stumped!

Thanks,

James...

@home cable man

were are you uploading to?? who or were ever it is might be the problem check out winmag.com and download there speed checker it does a packet test also

Quote Originally Posted by jrhvball View Post
    Does anyone know how to increase my upload speed with my cable modem (Surfboard cable modem)? I am an @Home subscriber and my download speed rocks, but my upload speed tests miserably. Is there a setting I can tweak to improve this? I am frustrated with my upload speed, it is worse than using a 56k modem? Help!!!

------------------
    I know this procedure so try this.
    How to increase download and upload speed

1. go to run

2. type gpedit.msc and click ok

3. go to Administrative Templates - Network - Qos packet schedule

4. double click on Limit reservable bandwidth

5. click enabled

6. change 20 to 0

7. click ok

8. restart computer

9. go to http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

10. test your upload and downlod speed

11. compare before and after

Have a try on it

No on windows 7

This cmd will not work on windows 7. Any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by joseduddy View Post
    what?

You can't adjust the settings of the TCP stack on Win7 since its self adjusting and optimized for your connection as is.

Quote Originally Posted by joseduddy View Post
    Lets start with what is your problem? Or, what are you looking to accomplish?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsuggestion View Post
    I know this procedure so try this.
    How to increase download and upload speed

1. go to run

2. type gpedit.msc and click ok

3. go to Administrative Templates - Network - Qos packet schedule

4. double click on Limit reservable bandwidth

5. click enabled

6. change 20 to 0

7. click ok

8. restart computer

9. go to http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

10. test your upload and downlod speed

11. compare before and after

Have a try on it
    Dunno why this person posted this in a 9 year old thread...but anyways, the above "tweak" is not a tweak. For some reason some people are falsely believing that QoS somehow reserves bandwidth all the time, preventing your ability to utilize all of your bandwidth.

The truth is, QoS only..only..only comes into play with applications specifically designed to interface with QoS and utilize is, and these are usually networked (LAN) applications in a business environment. The application will call for a minimum % of the available bandwidth...then..and only then, will QoS do any reserving.

For home users, this will never come into play. It's for business applicationson business/enterprise networks...ya know, big companies and such.

You can go ahead and disable QoS if you wish (it's more easily done right in network properties instead of gpedit)....but you will not gain a thing from doing so.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

port fowarding may help

I am just on DSL. I am getting 1.75MBPS. and I have an upload of 379MBPS. All I did was did a few port fowards. My upload went from 75MBPS to what is said above. I am still trying to get above those numbers.

Here is the manual for your modem. Look for TCP/IP information.
    https://cprop.fibertel.com.ar/faqs/r...ola-SB5100.pdf

For my DSL I go to an internet browser and in the address bar. 192.168.1.1

and I look for Enable Applications and do some port fowarding. Also check your firewall to make sure that is not holding you back.

Examples: using a torrent. You must first open ports to receive and send packets. Without any open ports, it will take forever to send and receive data. Some programs do this automaticly. NOT every one, so you have to check the modem to see what port(s) are open.

One warning. Do not open too many ports. Only a limited number is best for safty reasons. (Virus, Trojans, hackers, and so on...) (I piggy back mine) One port for three different things. example: Bittorrent set to 55555 and same is set for my webcam. (Both not being used at the same time).