Thread: Router Admin Page 4 Port Forwarding

Router Admin Page 4 Port Forwarding

Hi. I have been reading these forums about Port Forwarding and think I have a basic (basic!) understanding of what I need to do so that others can connect to specific games and applications. Games have always been a problem and right now I am trying to host Rise of Nations for friends and cant do it.

Anyway, some VERY helpful suff (for example, YeOldeStonecat's Router Configuration Tips) but I can not get to or find my Router Admin Page. When I type in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2 for this computer it wants a username and password. I've tried entering nothing for name and both ADMIN and 1234 for pass but no luck.

Exactly HOW do I get to the Admin page, and any other important page, that I need to try and forward a couple ports.

Sorry if this sounds super noobish stuff but it is. I just don't know how to do this.

NETGEAR RP614
    Windows XP

Thanks!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you're getting prompted for a username and a password...then you are on the right track.

Netgears usually default to 192.168.0.1 ...that' the LAN IP address you need to type in to hitup the web admin page.

Netgears also usually default to admin and 1234 on the RT and RP series routers. Other Netgear models have just "password" for the password (without the quotes, and using lower case letters) You try regular keys instead of numlock pad?

So...if you're getting the login prompt...then you're on the right spot. If the standard user/pass does not work....then my guess is someone else setup that router, and has changed the default password. Which leads to the next question...is that router yours to manage?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Making Progess (I Think)...

First, thank you for the response. Iím sure you have better things to do than helping people who still think the light switch is amazing. Anyway, yes, itís my home network. I purchased the router and have my computer, laptop, and wifeís computer on it. If I were into the xBox more I would plug that in too

This morning I went on a major dig and found the manual! It had the default admin/password info that allowed me to get to the Admin Page. Very exciting! I feel like Iíve stumbled on a new world. Unfortunately, I am a little intimidated. Why? Currently the network runs smoothly and I donít want to mess it up in my attempt to forward a port.

I see in here an option for using UpnP instead of port forwarding. It sounds easier (albeit weaker on the security) but is it as easy as checking the box?

Re: Making Progess (I Think)...

Originally posted by FattyLumpkin

I see in here an option for using UpnP instead of port forwarding. It sounds easier (albeit weaker on the security) but is it as easy as checking the box?
    It's not a problem, it's what we're here for. We all thought the light switch was amazing at one point or another.

UPnP...that feature can work for apps that support it. Yes it did have a security flaw, but if you keep your windows updates up to date, they had a fix for that included in the updates quite some time ago.

What is it that you are trying to run, specifically? If I can, I can walk you through it. The guide pretty much spells it out for you, but glad to help more if required.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks!

Well, I need to figure this out because over time I've had to unplug the network to host games. Currently, I am trying to forward a port for Rise of Nations and the old Myth but am sure other things will come up.

So please allow me to clarify...
    UPnP might work for this, simply by clicking the box?

I am looking at the instructions for actual port forwarding and it seems pretty clear but I'm not sure if I need to deal with other stpes beyond "Adding a Service" (which means assigning the internal IP and specifying a port). IF this is all I need to do I can try it. This wont mess anything up?

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by FattyLumpkin

So please allow me to clarify...
    UPnP might work for this, simply by clicking the box?
    My first guess is "no". You can try it. You basically have to have an appliction that supports UPnP for UPnP to work for you.

Games need ports available to run a server. What you need to do is find out what ports a specific game needs to have open on your firewall. Often there are many forums out there for specific games, and someone on that website, you'll often find a "server guide" for that game, where you'll find the ports needed. Or some support of FAQ website for your game.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Apparently for Myth the port is 3453.

Rise of Nations requires that the 34987/UDP DirectPlay port be open to play a Local Area Network (LAN) or Direct Internet multiplayer game.

In addition to this port, to play through GameSpy Internet Matchmaking the following ports must be open: 80/TCP
    1077/UDP
    6500/UDP
    6667/TCP
    13139/UDP
    27900/UDP
    28910/UDP
    29900/TCP
    29910/UDP
    29920/TCP

ITS WORKING!

All I did was select "Port Forwarding" on the Admin Page and under advanced options "Add Custom Service". There I disignated the proper networked computer IP and entered the port range (in this case a single port not a range).

Thanks for the help!