Thread: Microsoft optical mouse keeps shutting off

Microsoft optical mouse keeps shutting off

My Microsoft optical mouse (not cordless) mouse keeps shutting off every 10-20 minutes while I'm browsing the net. The mouse just shuts off and the only way for it to work again is to unplug and plug the mouse in again. It's really irritating especially when my IE keeps freezing at the same time (read my other thread on IE problem). I was wondering what the problem is? Is it the mouse or something with my computer? Thanks.

I dont have an answer for you, just thought Id tell you your not alone, ever since I upgraded to XP my optical has been randomly "dying" on me, where I have to lift it from the surface, run my finger in the groove where the laser is and it pops back on, makes no sense to me.

Ring Microsoft they will send you a new mouse.

Originally posted by wee96
    I dont have an answer for you, just thought Id tell you your not alone, ever since I upgraded to XP my optical has been randomly "dying" on me, where I have to lift it from the surface, run my finger in the groove where the laser is and it pops back on, makes no sense to me.
    Yes, sometimes it dies and sometimes it comes back on after I run my hand through the laser a few times.

Are you sure Microsoft will send me a new mouse if I call them?

Elite Member
    Originally posted by LiLxKiMcHeE
    Yes, sometimes it dies and sometimes it comes back on after I run my hand through the laser a few times.

Are you sure Microsoft will send me a new mouse if I call them?
    call and tell them about it..
    or email them..see what they say...you have nothing to loose

Is it a usb mouse? If so update the USB drivers and or chipset.
    Also update/install mouse drivers as well. Sounds like something got corrupted.

i never did understand the hype around opticals. ive tried them before, but there was nothing spectacular. I have been using the same ball mouse since my first PC in 97. that is right, i have been using the same mouse for 7 years. ive never had a problem with it and my q3 skillz are mad with it!! Just ask John...

Elite Member
    Originally posted by kmax
    i never did understand the hype around opticals. ive tried them before, but there was nothing spectacular. I have been using the same ball mouse since my first PC in 97. that is right, i have been using the same mouse for 7 years. ive never had a problem with it and my q3 skillz are mad with it!! Just ask John...
    d00d

I DON'T have to clean teh rollers and the Ball () once a month..

I can't even use ball mouses anymore... they are so retarded... especially if you have a good optical.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321122

So far this fixed my problem, though I havent been testing it for more than 15 minutes, just found that link hopefully itll work for you.

hey i have been using the same aopen ball mouse sine my first computer back in 98-99 i have tried sevral optical mice. but their alright for desktop i just cant play my online games with them offline games are fine... my ball mouse stays clean aswell aslong as you dont get a new mouse pad they will stay clean (also aslong as your mouse pad isn't falling apart)

i play cs and dod online.

also i dont think a optical mouse could live through my temper.. it seems the mouse is the first thing i slame down.. b4 i hit some thing
    ------------------------------------------------
    .specs.
    Abit Nf7-S rev 2~AMD AThlon xp 2500+ ~(1.83ghz)@3400+(2.442ghz)~tt valconoe 12+~Geil Ultra Series~256MB DDR PC-3500~ATI-AIW-Radeon~9800pro-128mb_ddr~100 gig' for xp
    ---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by BaLa
    d00d

I DON'T have to clean teh rollers and the Ball () once a month..

Amen to that!!! Plus they are lighter; I hate the big clunky ones...
    Intel P4 2.8 800FSB / Asus P4P800SE / Corsair 1024MB PC3200 / Antec Sonata / TruePower 380w
    Asus GeForce4 Ti4200 / Seagate 200GB SATA / WD 200GB IDE / LiteOn 4x DVD-RW / Windows XP Pro SP2

ALso, the noise when you are moving the mouse really fast.

Accuracy too.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

problem solved

ive been having the same problem.....what i did is took the mouse apart and blew the dust out of the optical part
    its under the circuit board
    since ive done that my mouse has not shut off
    i did try the microsoft link.......that didnt work
    hope this helps

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by t00ls View Post
    ive been having the same problem.....what i did is took the mouse apart and blew the dust out of the optical part
    its under the circuit board
    since ive done that my mouse has not shut off
    i did try the microsoft link.......that didnt work
    hope this helps
    I mean, for real?