Thread: Bell Canada DSL Modems

Bell Canada DSL Modems

Just wondering if anyone here also uses Bell Canada DSL service. I wanted to know if you could use your own DSL modem instead of renting thiers.

Not sure if Rogers cable customers can use their own modems either?

Bell Canada says that you can't, but they could just be covering their financial intrests. I also work for Bell Canada as and I&R tecnician but not in the High Speed department.

Just wondering if anyone has used thier own DSL modem with this service?

Yes you can use your own modem (like an Alcatel, GVC, etc..) on your phone line but they will still send you one of their modems and charge you for the rental of that modem, whether you want to use it or not. You have no choice in that matter if you stick with Bell.
    There are other ISPs in Ontario that you can sign up with that allow you to use your own modem without charging you a rental fee. I'm with Golden Triangle in Kitchener and they don't charge a rental fee.

Originally posted by Sorcier11
    Yes you can use your own modem (like an Alcatel, GVC, etc..) on your phone line but they will still send you one of their modems and charge you for the rental of that modem, whether you want to use it or not.
    Thanks Sorcier11 thats what I figured, the guy I was talking too said that you couldn't use a different modem, which I didn't believe, but the main part is that even if I did there is no way to call them and say please stop charging me the $10 a month modem fee. It's the perfect money grab for them.

I have bell High speed internet ultra, but my connection is really slow, the top speed i ever gone is 50k/sec, it's much slower than rogers cable modem!! isnt it 3MB donwloads?! what happen to my adsl!!?? Please help me!!

If I were you I would call Bell JCMoon, because if you are paying for the Ultra, you are about 100/kb below what I get on my regular high speed through Bell.

They usually do this before they even offer you the service, but have you had your line checked. You could have a fault on your line that you are unaware off.

At the very least if they can't fix it over the phone, they should dispatch a technician to check your line and the sync. If the problem proves into your prem then they will offer to fix it, if you don't have the Wire Maintenace plan then there may be additional costs billable to you. You do have the right to refuse the repair though at no cost if thats the case.

Check with Sympatico High Speed Tech Support first, they are your best resource.

This is a local call anywhere if you are a Bell Canada Customer.

310-SURF
    310-7873

Let me know what they say.
    Last edited by Rouse; 12-19-03 at 10:04 PM.

Thumbs up Ultra High Speed..

To JC Moon:
    I am using Sympatico Ultra High Speed and get connection speeds of around 2960 kbps and have achieved download speed of up to 650 kbps, the norm is around 320. You should call like mentioned already cuz you are paying a lot of money for the service you are not getting. I forgot to mention these speed are thru a wireless modem on my Dell laptop......the desktop computer hooked thru a nic card to my linksys router gets connection speeds of 3400 and roughly the same download speeds as the laptop but I do find webpages load faster on the desktop computer...it is an AMD XP 1600 with 512 ram, the laptop is Dell Inspiron 8200 with linksys wifi card, not interal, and 1.8 meg intel mobile processor with 512 ram also.

You could be on the end of the line as well. Which will cause slower speeds for you no matter what. Bell is getting very lazy and is lossing money big time to Local Cable companys so they are expanded there service without putting proper repters where there should be.

What I mean by all this is, Bell at start would only allow you to have there service at start if you where a max of 4-5 KM away from one of there phone line hubs. But they have expanded this since then to 7-10 KM away from one of there main hubs. If you are at the end of this line you are going to get slower speeds no matter what you do and how much you pay for a faster service. When you buy a faster service plan from them all they mainly do is log into one of there main system and tell your NIC to allow fast speeds. That's as simple as it is. There more to it, but that the basic. Most of there techs don't have the software at hand to tell you how far you are from one of the main hubs. I forget what Teir level has that access. I think it's 3 or 5. I can't remember fully how Sympaticos teir level goes. But call them up ask them the simple question that you would like to know how far you are from the main hub in your area.

On another note make sure your phone line that is used for the connection is directly connected to the line coming into the house from outside. Not connected to another wall jack, or has a spilter on it. Bell will not come into the house and check this for you unless you are willing to pay the $50 for a tech to come into the house and check the line. They will only check there line to the house and see if it running fine without charging you.