Thread: Best way to clean a brick hearth???

Best way to clean a brick hearth???

The brick hearth on my fireplace is pure black fro what looks like maybe 50 years of soot. I've scrubbed and scrubbed with soap and water and also tried oil soap thus far to almost no avail. Does anyone know of any good cleaning agents that help scrub the black soot off of brick?
    I am thinking of taking the sander to it as well, but that is sort of a "last straw" .

thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

"If it's a small area, you can use light-colored children's molding dough to press onto the brick and lift the soot away. Or dip a scrub brush into a pan of full-strength white household vinegar. Scrub a small section at a time, working up. It may take a lot of elbow grease and several applications to remove all of the soot.

Caution: If your fireplace brick is old and crumbling, test the molding dough in an inconspicuous spot -- you don't want to pull off any surface material. To remove soot from brick that is not in good condition, mix a 50/50 solution of laundry bleach and water, pour into a spray bottle, spritz the bricks, then scrub with a soft-bristled brush. Rinse with water"

I had good luck with muriatic acid. I used it while remodeling the basement on my last home.

Be careful though! Get yourself a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves and a respirator, or it'll do you some serious harm.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Blog Entries
    Hi Blisster

Why not shoot TonyT a PM.

He is the Master of Masonry, the Colonel of Concrete, the Guru of Grout. He'll know

regards

minir

According to the folks at Ask Jeeves....This is your best bet....

Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner or Speedy White (available at many Hearth and fireplace stores)........... Spice

Re: Best way to clean a brick hearth???

Originally posted by Blisster
    Does anyone know of any good cleaning agents that help scrub the black soot off of brick?

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Originally posted by Spicer
    According to the folks at Ask Jeeves....This is your best bet....

Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner or Speedy White (available at many Hearth and fireplace stores)........... Spice
    I use Easy Off oven cleaner to strip paint. That stuff is a bad ass cleaner/stripper. Be careful though, it will cause chemical burns on your skin.

I wouldn't sand the bricks at all, years of heat will make them crumble apart or not sand evenly. Plus you won't be able to get into all of the pores of the bricks.

I think the heavy duty over cleaner will take it off without a problem.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Sandblast!

But it's messy.
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977