Thread: Help my cable modem doesn't work and I think it has to do with my network settings.

Help my cable modem doesn't work and I think it has to do with my network settings.

Ok my cable modem was working fine a few weeks ago. Left the computer on and went to sleep. Woke up the next morning and couldn't get on the net. I figured it would work again in a few hours. Several hours later and it still didn't work. So I take the modem out and plug it into my friends computer and was surprised that it was working fine. Plugged the modem into my sisters comp and it works on there too. I figure my network settings got messed up somehow. I did the repair function,turned off my modem for 20 seconds and turned on it, and a bunch of other stuffs. All were futile. Any help would be appreciated. Oh yea I'm running XP Home Edition

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Ok first when you plugged it at freinds house was it the same network cable same with ur sisters comp??

Unplug cablemodem then router if you have one then computer then plug modem wait about a minuate the power on router then computer. If that didn't work. Goto start menu, run type cmd in the box you should see a command prompt the type ipconfig/release wait till it's done then type ipconfig/renew. Try that first and keep me posted if that doesn't work then it's a tcpip/network card configuration.
    Comptia a+ n+

Sorry it took me so long but I haven't been able to get online for awhile. I'm now on my aunts laptop with my existing cable modem. What do you mean by the same network cable?

I tried the ipconfig/renew option and I received this error message.

"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3 : An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

here the answer to your error message

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;817571