Thread: Nvidia confirms Shader 2.0 problem

Nvidia confirms Shader 2.0 problem

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10602

Nvidia confirms PS 2.0 driver problems

Meltdown, showdown, decapitation

By Fuad Abazovic: Tuesday 22 July 2003, 10:23

DEVELOPERS AT the Meltdown Microsoft DirectX conference heard Nvidia make an interesting comment about its drivers.
    One of the developers using FX 5900 hardware for an upcoming title tested the new shaders 2.0 and made a comment that he'd had problems with them.

Apparently, some shaders 2.0 simply do not work making Nvidia's claim that this card is DirectX 9 hardware puzzling, as Pixel Shader 2.0 is one of the essences of DX 9.

Subsequently, Nvidia staff at the conference agreed the shaders are not feeling very well, and that the recent drivers are quite buggy. But hey! They run Quake, UT and 3Dmark just fine.

We are sure that this carelessly honest Nvidia boy will be decapitated for this statement but we are sure that this will brought much more attention to making things work in future revisions.

As you might expect, there are not many ways to test these shaders as DirectX 9 games are still far away in the future. Ironically, the same shaders run just fine in ATI Radeon 9800 class hardware.

Nvidia is still not speaking to Fuad Abazovic

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Kinda similar to what came out over a week ago. Heh...a second whammy!

http://www.anandtech.com/#20106

"Well, this really bites the big one. xbit is reporting that Valve developers have identified a bug in current DX9 hardware when using FSAA algorithms. It appears that there is a workaround for ATI hardware, but is almost impossible to fix for NVIDIA based graphics cards.
    Valve continued that this is a problem for any application that packs small textures into larger textures. The small textures will bleed into each other if you have multi-sample FSAA enabled.

Currently both leading graphics chips designers use multi-sampling or hybrid multi-sampling + super-sampling methods to for FSAA.

The developers of the legendary Half-Life game said that drivers are not likely to solve the problem, however, it still can be solved for graphics cards based on VPUs from ATI Technologies, such as RADEON 9500-, 9600-, 9700- and 9800-series. As for NVIDIA GeForce and GeForce FX-series, there are practically no chances to find a workaround, according to Valve.

You can view more details on this issue at Beyond3D and HalfLife2.net."
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Another hammer blow to Nvidia....oh how the mighty have fallen.
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

this is not good. competition will fall.
    amro.co, github.com/amro

looks liek they need another directx9 card, the direct x 9.0 2.0 card lol

"easy workaround for ATI"

Thats all I need to know.

I hope Nvidia gets their act together with the NV40. Strong competition leads to better performance and prices for us. Well at least their Nforce chipsets are doing well.
    Rig 1: Abit NF7-S 2500+ 2530@230
    Water Cooled System
    "Cather" LR White Water #87/Eheim 1250
    2x 256 corsair pc3500c2
    Softmodded 9500NP
    Rig 2:ASUS A7N8X XP2400+ 2387@217
    Gforce 3 250/560 12950 3dmarks

Originally posted by njeddiek
    I hope Nvidia gets their act together with the NV40. Strong competition leads to better performance and prices for us. Well at least their Nforce chipsets are doing well.

I'm sure theyll come around. For a while there, it appeared ati was going down the drain.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Yea trust me, there is still alot of NVidia fanboyism out there. I run across people daily that scoff at ATI for "driver issues and whatnot". They haven't caught up to the latest news yet.....by the time they do Nvidia will be back on top no doubt and I'll have to re-educate their arses all over again!!
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

Dont hope nvidia has A good card. They need to have a line that has the lead again like the all geforce leading up to fx. Then I would happily be an owner again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10602

Nvidia confirms PS 2.0 driver problems

Meltdown, showdown, decapitation

By Fuad Abazovic: Tuesday 22 July 2003, 10:23

DEVELOPERS AT the Meltdown Microsoft DirectX conference heard Nvidia make an interesting comment about its drivers.
    One of the developers using FX 5900 hardware for an upcoming title tested the new shaders 2.0 and made a comment that he'd had problems with them.

Apparently, some shaders 2.0 simply do not work making Nvidia's claim that this card is DirectX 9 hardware puzzling, as Pixel Shader 2.0 is one of the essences of DX 9.

Subsequently, Nvidia staff at the conference agreed the shaders are not feeling very well, and that the recent drivers are quite buggy. But hey! They run Quake, UT and 3Dmark just fine.

We are sure that this carelessly honest Nvidia boy will be decapitated for this statement but we are sure that this will brought much more attention to making things work in future revisions.

As you might expect, there are not many ways to test these shaders as DirectX 9 games are still far away in the future. Ironically, the same shaders run just fine in ATI Radeon 9800 class hardware.

Nvidia is still not speaking to Fuad Abazovic
    Hello. I found this website searching google for 2.0 shader. I have a geforce 5600FX 256mb in my alienware machine I got back in the summer of 03 and I cant run supreme commander. I believe this may be due to the fact that I do not have a 2.0 shader graphics card. They are expensive and I dont want to buy one of they dont work. There appears to be a few games I have been looking into recently that require 2.0 shader such as supreme commander and tatsumaki:land at war.

The 5600 has pixel shader 2.0. pixel shaer 2.0 cards are NOT expensive.

Also, I'm pretty sure they fixed it in the last 4 years since this was mentioned.

The minimum recommended specs suggest getting at least a Geforce 6800 or an ati x800, but it should run on a geforce 5600FX.

Certified SG Addict
    Oh ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Oh ffs
    I agree.. I just don't understand why bump a 4 year old thread for a card thats hardly worth 10$