Thread: Need help setting up wireless network.. plz!

Exclamation Need help setting up wireless network.. plz!

Sup guys,

Some of you have seen me in the OC forums a lot lately, today, my friend lent me some network hardware so I could share internet with my sister.. My comp is in the basement, her's is in her room, mom doesnt want us to run wires through the whole house so my friend lent us some wireless networking hardware.. Im confused on how to set this damn thing up, spent 1 hour and Im going nowhere... I can set up peer-to-peer but this wireless stuff is just killin me!

Hardware:

2 Computers (both running Win2k Pro)
    1 DSL Modem using PPPoE (dynamic IPs)
    1 Linksys Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch
    2 D-Link DWL-120 USB Wireless Adapter

Before we start anything, I need to know something very important.. The router is made by Linksys and the adapter is made by D-Link, will the wireless network work if they are both different manufacturers? If it does, then please continue to help me, if not, it will be pointless and Ill just return this hardware back to my friend..

Assuming that this is possible, can someone please lead me with detailed instructions on how to set up a wireless network w/ Internet Access, file sharing and printer sharing.. I tried going to Linksys and D-Link's site for FAQ but its so confusing, and the manuals are even more useless.. So far I've connected a cable from my modem to the router, installed the DWL-120 wireless adapter to my computer, but I dont know how to set it up so I could get internet..

Basically what I want to accomplish right now is getting internet for myself, then to go on setting it up on my sisters computer.. can anyone help?

Hello,

I need help installing the router.. I have 2 computers (both win2k), a PPPoE DSL modem, a Linksys wireless access point router w/ 4 port switch and 2 D-Link DWL-120 wireless network adapters.. The first problem I have is installing the router.. The instructions say that I must connect one cable from my DSL modem to the router, then another cable from the router to my PC.. However, I only have one available cable and I used that one to connect the modem to router.. I dont have another cable to connect from router to PC, so can I use a wireless network adapter instead? Is there any possible way to install the router without connecting a cable from router to PC??? Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Re: Need help setting up wireless network.. plz!

Originally posted by LeKtriX
    Before we start anything, I need to know something very important.. The router is made by Linksys and the adapter is made by D-Link, will the wireless network work if they are both different manufacturers? If it does, then please continue to help me, if not, it will be pointless and Ill just return this hardware back to my friend..
    The answer is yes, as long as the wireless type is the same (A, or B), it will work.

But, sometimes it's not as reliable, or the performance isn't as good, as when you use all products from the same manufacturer.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hello,

I need help installing the router.. I have 2 computers (both win2k), a PPPoE DSL modem, a Linksys wireless access point router w/ 4 port switch and 2 D-Link DWL-120 wireless network adapters.. The first problem I have is installing the router.. The instructions say that I must connect one cable from my DSL modem to the router, then another cable from the router to my PC.. However, I only have one available cable and I used that one to connect the modem to router.. I dont have another cable to connect from router to PC, so can I use a wireless network adapter instead? Is there any possible way to install the router without connecting a cable from router to PC??? Thank you for your time and cooperation!
    Yes, or for some reason if your wireless part of the router is still turned off, just temporarily use the patch cable to connect to router....go through it's setup steps, then once it's all configured, switch the patch cable over to the WAN Link.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

You need to be able to connect to the device via ethernet to configure it initially. This means you need to have a cable- no way around that. A short Cat5 patch cable should be about 5 bucks, so it's not really a big deal.

The old WAPs and router/access points halso had usb connections, so you could configure them, but no more.

As far as file sharing; setting up the router; networking; etc., I've seen the Linksys manual, and it's pretty thorough and a step-by-step guide. If you follow the instructions, it will walk you through all the steps necessary. If it seems long, and like there's a lot of steps- it's because there is! You're setting up a complete wireless network from scratch, and there's a lot to do to get it running. All of those steps are necessary.

Buy a patch cord, and follow the manual. You'll get there.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Yes, or for some reason if your wireless part of the router is still turned off, just temporarily use the patch cable to connect to router....go through it's setup steps, then once it's all configured, switch the patch cable over to the WAN Link.
    what is a patch cable lol?

what is a patch cable lol?
    Network cable....RJ-45.....that cord that looks like an oversized phone cord. Goes into the back of hubs/switches/routers, and network cards, amongst other things.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i have a straight and a crossed cable.. both dont work

Straight cable from NIC to LAN port...you following the directions?
    Guinness for Strength!!!