Thread: How to "get out" of a Domain, with Windows XP Pro, Help Please.

Blog Entries

Exclamation How to "get out" of a Domain, with Windows XP Pro, Help Please.

I made my Windows XP Box Join my Windows 2000 Server Domain. Now I want to just have my Windows XP Pro box as a basic "WorkGroup" again like before.
    When I right click on "My Computer, then goto properties, then to the "Computer Name" tab, the Network ID tab is greyed out and "Change" button is greyed out too!
    There must be a easy way to fix this, insead of the old format Windows Routine.

I also tried the "Network Wizard" and it just said that this computer is set as a Domain and cannot be changed.

Thanks for any help.

try logging in as local administrator rather than on the domain.. If it's greyed out then most likely you don't have permission..
    You might not be able to change the domain settings while logged onto the domain with your current user account.

Could also be your NIC, but check the above first.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Your account that you log into the domain with.....it sounds like you did not make that domain account a member of the local administrator group, hence your grayed out options when you try to change some settings. I always make domain accounts members of the local admin group...that way, you can install software, change settings, etc (unless you don't want that person able to do so...then it's good control in that case).

Log off, ctrl+alt+del again to log on...and on that 3rd line, change it from logging into the domain, to logging onto the computer's name locally, as the old local Administrator account.

Now you should be able to effect changes. I always use the "change" button that's underneath the Network ID button....more direct and easier...change it from the domain, to workgroup. Reboot..done. Notice when you're removed it from the domain, you'll no longer that that 3rd line on your ctrl+alt+del logon box.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help, to both of you, but my problem is even if I log on locally on the administrator account, the two burttons are still greyed out (e.x. Network ID and Change) Is tnere a registry key that I can change?
    Thanks again guys.

SG Enthusiast
    Behold, the power of google

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20263556.html

They guy never posted back to confirm it worked, but he listed this as the 'accepted answer'. Appears to be a common issue with 2k-based systems.

Cheers,

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Originally posted by cyberskye
    Behold, the power of google

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20263556.html

They guy never posted back to confirm it worked, but he listed this as the 'accepted answer'. Appears to be a common issue with 2k-based systems.

Cheers,

Skye
    That guy's problem that you linked....is why I've always...always, made a back door, local admin account. I've seen too many people get confused about accounts, local, domain, admin local, admin domain, etc.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Well, I found out, that unless you reload the O.S. you can't fix the problem.
    Weather it be Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Advance server, you can't change back from a Domain, to a Workgroup. You can not "un-grey" the "Network ID" areas.
    Thanks to all that tried to help me out.
    Shinobi

Originally posted by Shinobi
    Weather it be Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Advance server, you can't change back from a Domain, to a Workgroup. You can not "un-grey" the "Network ID" areas.
    Thanks to all that tried to help me out.
    Shinobi
    You can, I do it all the time, I'm on an XP Pro box right now that's logged on locally, because my 2K Server's mobo crapped out.

It's all in how you keep your local admin accounts, who's a member of the local admin account, etc. Plus, as a good plan, I always make a separate local user and make that account a member of the local administrator group.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by Shinobi
    Weather it be Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Advance server, you can't change back from a Domain, to a Workgroup.
    Not true. Server- no- can't revert back. But 2K Pro and XP pro clients- yes.

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    You can, I do it all the time, I'm on an XP Pro box right now that's logged on locally, because my 2K Server's mobo crapped out.

It's all in how you keep your local admin accounts, who's a member of the local admin account, etc. Plus, as a good plan, I always make a separate local user and make that account a member of the local administrator group.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..