PDA

View Full Version : XP system restore files location ?

Mark
08-17-02, 07:12 PM
so where does XP store them at, i want to remove a restore point that i made ?

Set
08-17-02, 08:03 PM
Not sure where they store them proply some where in the windows folder but you can delet all but the last one in cleandisk

UnitedWeStand
08-18-02, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by the snake
so where does XP store them at, i want to remove a restore point that i made ?
in your %systemroot%\system32\restore

but you can do some other things to get rid of them ..To delete older restore points, but leave the system restore turned on: Right Click the Drive in question/Properties/Disk Cleanup/More Options/System Restore/Cleanup.

Mark
08-18-02, 06:05 AM
thanks guys :)
one other thing , what is the comand to get into scanreg in XP , i forgot :rolleyes:

Murman
08-18-02, 07:30 AM
in system32\restore is just the restore app .. there are no restore points in that folder.

Look in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx} were x is hex decimal

in there you'll find rpxxx, view in detail mode and delete what ever folder you want by date.. should be good to go.

UnitedWeStand
08-18-02, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Murman
in system32\restore is just the restore app .. there are no restore points in that folder.

Look in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx} were x is hex decimal

in there you'll find rpxxx, view in detail mode and delete what ever folder you want by date.. should be good to go.
I didn't try it last night but you might need admin rights to delete those files from that directory.
but to find those that you made. and delete them it might be a chore of its own. open the directory c:\system volume information\ and in the explorer window at the top select view files detail. or right click on a blank spot on the window and view contents details, in the window you will see the files sorted by Name/Size/Type/Modified rightclick that bar and add "created" to the details list.
You can easily find the ones you created by matching the dates with the date you created them. :) Just so you don't delete the wrong _restore{nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn}.

AznStyl
08-18-02, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by the snake
thanks guys :)
one other thing , what is the comand to get into scanreg in XP , i forgot :rolleyes:

The Snake I don't think it has one, to be honest. :)

UnitedWeStand
08-18-02, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by AznStyl

The Snake I don't think it has one, to be honest. :)
scanreg/resore only works if you are dualbooting and have win9x/or winme on first partition. but XP doesn't have one otherwise.

Set
08-18-02, 05:54 PM
edit

Set
08-18-02, 05:54 PM
Think that will work let me know if it dont and ill find the site

Mark
08-18-02, 06:34 PM
thanks guys , now i remembered it is regedit that i was looking for. i just did the disk cleanup thing.

Set
08-18-02, 06:37 PM
ah thought you where looken for somethin to clean your regs

Mark
08-18-02, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by settrippen
ah thought you where looken for somethin to clean your regs

nah was just wondering as to where the restore files were to get rid of a bad restore point i made.

my registry should be clean now after my format.