PDA

View Full Version : Force boot from CD. How?

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 01:44 PM
Got a computer here at home I can't get to boot up anything but the virus software. I want to force it to boot from the Win98 CD or the A:startup disk but it acts like it sees the A: but not the CD.

Is there a F key I can hold down to make it boot from the CD?

mnosteele52
05-18-02, 01:52 PM
As far as I know MadDoc you need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS.:)

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 01:58 PM
I can boot to safe and to a DOS prompt. When it does boot up, and I to a control-alt-delete, the only thing running is AVG. No explorer, no nothing.

So you say I should edit a file and change the boot order?

(I might have lot of posts... but I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to computers)

mnosteele52
05-18-02, 02:03 PM
Nope just reboot the pc and while it's booting go into the BIOS. You have to hit a certain key to enter it - not sure which one on that particular pc usually it's F1, F10 or del or something of that nature, once your in the BIOS change the boot order to boot from CDrom first and you can fdisk, reformat or do whatever you want with a 98 cd.:) :D

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 02:05 PM
Thanks. :) I'll give it a try. Not sure when my daughter last did a backup. This should be ugly.

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 02:23 PM
Not F1 or F10 or delete. I can get to the Win98 statup menu and that's about it. When I tell it to boot normal... it brings up the background but as the tool bar starts to appear... it halts (mouse still moves).

mnosteele52
05-18-02, 02:30 PM
Try Esc. What type of pc is it? or motherboard brand, if you know you can find out how to get into the BIOS.:)

Easto
05-18-02, 02:32 PM
Is it a name brand computer. I'll try and find the entry key for the bios for ya. Sometimes on Dells etc just holding down the Del key dosen't do it

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 02:49 PM
It's *shakes head in shame* a Compaq. She has the oldest computer in the house. Maybe it's time to replace it.

esc key is not the one.

mnosteele52
05-18-02, 03:07 PM
All Compaqs are F10, you have to hit F10 while it is displaying the Compaq logo screen during boot.:)

P.S. You should hang you head hehehe - a Comcrap.;) :p

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 03:08 PM
I know... my daughter hopes it doesn't come back to life so I'll buy her a new one (not compaq). Silly girl.

Okay F10 did work and I told it to boot from the CD first. It did (CD makes whirring sound) and then boots back to where the tool bar starts to load............... and it stops (displays desktop, mouse works). No "my computer" icon, no "my network places", documents, etc.

control-alt-delete does not show explorer running (which is probably the big problem)

mnosteele52
05-18-02, 03:22 PM
That's odd MadDoc when it boots from the cd it should give you the option of reinstalling 98 over top of itself (which is probably what you want to do).:)

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by mnosteele52
That's odd MadDoc when it boots from the cd it should give you the option of reinstalling 98 over top of itself (which is probably what you want to do).:) Right you are sir!

*daughter looking real happy now*

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 03:30 PM
Okay. I booted to the Compaq utility (where I found the option to boot from CD). I also found the Quick Restore CDs from Compaq. Is this something I want to do/try? Restore Win98 seems more appropriate.

I have a feeling that the Quick Restore disks are going to want to reformat.

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 03:50 PM
I put the 98 startup disk in a: and the win98 CD in f: I then told it to boot from A: first and then F: and then C: It got to the A: and poped up a menu that asked me if I would like to restart with help from the CD. I said yes and took me through some junk and ended at the A:

I was hoping for a restart of windows.

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 03:57 PM
I can now get to the drive with the windows 98 CD. Regardless of which .exe file I try on the Win98 CD, it says it needs windows to run the command.

Now how would I start windows from the CD in DOS mode. That would be the question

mnosteele52
05-18-02, 04:56 PM
In DOS to start Win98 setup just type D:\setup (D is whatever your cdrom drive is).:)

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 05:11 PM
So... I boot up (f8) to the menu and boot up in DOS mode only. The CD is drive F: The system won't find F: (strange).

I ran the command win and it brings up windows (which is what a normal boot does) but then after windows comes up (less the tool bar or any icons) you can't do anything. Nothing to click on without the tool bar or icons.

BTW... right mouse button does not bring up a menu.

Norm
05-18-02, 06:45 PM
Use a win98 startup floppy, allow cd support when asked.

Once you get to the a:> prompt the line above it will tell you the drive letter of your CDRom.

type: x:\setup

Where x: is the letter of the CDRom

MadDoctor
05-18-02, 07:59 PM
Thanks Norm. Tried 44 times and failed each time. I finally went to a reformat. My daughter is not happy. She was shooting for a new machine.

Norm
05-18-02, 11:44 PM
Sounds like your CDRom is dead.
Did you get Windows reinstalled after the format?

Elaborate a little. Details of what you did, and what happened.

Maybe you need a Dos driver for a type of CDRom that the Win98 boot disk doesn't support. Rare, but possible.

downhill
05-18-02, 11:53 PM
Oh nooooooooooo

I read the news today, ohboy......

This just in from Montana...daughter beats father senseless for losing all her ICQ contacts in a reformat of her puter. :D

MadDoctor
05-19-02, 01:29 AM
CD rom is alive and well. used the Compaq quick restore CDs and got the machine back. That means the CD was fine but for some reason the system wasn't seeing the win98 CD or the F: drive at the dos prompt.

Did get beat... but I like that sort of thing.

Norm
05-19-02, 12:05 PM
Could've fixed everything without a format Doc, you're too impatient, and didn't provide enough details.

What drive letter is windows assigning to your CDRom now?

MadDoctor
05-19-02, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Norm
Could've fixed everything without a format Doc, you're too impatient. Yes... I know. Working on it though.

CD is F:

Norm
05-19-02, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MadDoctor
Yes... I know. Working on it though.

CD is F: If CD=F: in windows, then it would = g: after booting into a Win98 startup disk. Gotta consider the ramdrive it creates, and bumps up the CDRom letter by one letter.

That was your problem.

MadDoctor
05-19-02, 06:18 PM
Actually... I tried....
cd a:(that worked) 3.5 drive
cd b:(that worked) Zip drive
cd c: (that worked)
cd d:(that worked) (second hard drive),
cd e: (that worked)(ram drive)
cd f: (no go) CD
cd g:(no go)
cd h:(no go)
cd i: (no go)
and then I cd'd all the way to Z:

I tried them all,

Norm
05-19-02, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by MadDoctor
Actually... I tried....
cd a:(that worked) 3.5 drive
cd b:(that worked) Zip drive
cd c: (that worked)
cd d:(that worked) (second hard drive),
cd e: (that worked)(ram drive)
cd f: (no go) CD
cd g:(no go)
cd h:(no go)
cd i: (no go)
and then I cd'd all the way to Z:

I tried them all, It could be that the Win98 boot disk doesn't have a driver for your particular CDRom, too bad, so sad :D

Did you try booting to command prompt and using
scanreg /restore before the format?

ScottE
05-19-02, 06:38 PM
DOS needs a dos cdrom driver there are 3 different ones that I know of, and mscdex.exe to be able to read from cdrom drives.
http://www.computerhope.com/mscdex.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q87/1/65.asp

MSCDEX=Short for Microsoft CD-ROM Extension, a driver that enables DOS and Windows 3.x systems to recognize and control CD-ROM players. The driver is located in a file called MSCDEX.EXE. Windows 95 replaces MSCDEX with a 32-bit, dynamically loadable driver called CDFS.

Either the driver and/or mscdex (my guess would be the latter) aren't being loaded.

Rainbow
05-20-02, 07:59 PM
Im not sure which model he has but yes the startup disk does NOT have the right drivers for the cd roms that compuk uses. I have most of them if ya ever need tham again;)