PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a static IP with new cox.net

CAPMAT
01-23-02, 01:31 PM
Greetings,

While having @home connection I was able to enjoy my dynamic IP which however never changed no matter what I did. Now with new cox.net connections it seems a bit of a problem since IP's license expires in 24 hours and forces new IP to be assigned to your computer.

Nothing however prevents you from entering this just assigned IP in your Network Settings along with your DNS server IP and Gateway. That, basically, turns DHCP off. Even if your restart your PC you will be on the same IP.

Done that, I still had everything working just the way it was working before: browse the web or receive email. However at some point few days ago my connection went into the drain. I could not stay online for more than 15 minutes then connection was lost i.e. you would get "not responding" messages. Connection was back after boot. IP - the same.

Anyways, if anybody else wants to experiment with that and share your maybe successfull results I would appreciate it.

Kip Patterson
01-23-02, 02:33 PM
Welcome to Speedguide!

Setting your IP up as static does not turn off DHCP.

You are most likely being disconnected because the IP has been assigned to someone else.

Sorry, there is no way to set yourself up as static. I fyou try to, you are making problems for yourself and other users. Sooneer or later they will discover it and disable your modem.

Kip

CAPMAT
01-23-02, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Kip Patterson
Welcome to Speedguide!

Setting your IP up as static does not turn off DHCP.

You are most likely being disconnected because the IP has been assigned to someone else.

Sorry, there is no way to set yourself up as static. I fyou try to, you are making problems for yourself and other users. Sooneer or later they will discover it and disable your modem.

Kip

Thanx for your reply. It just seems strange that I am able to connect at all before the connection dies. It's probably a little too early to judge given all possible transition issues. As for the consequences, I don't think they are that sever. At least nothing like that is prohibitted anywhere in the manual or contract. :)

Kip Patterson
01-23-02, 03:36 PM
You are able to connect either because the IP is unoccupied, or because you kicked the other user off-line.

It is in the AUP - they have a blanket clause covering interfering with the system.

Why do you need a static IP in the first place? I don't mean to be argumentative, but we see a steady stream of folks that want to run prohibited services.

Kip

Mike_W
01-23-02, 04:13 PM
I'm having the same problem with Comcast after the transition. Actually, my problem is linked to my firewall (Zone Alarm). You can read my post in the Security forum.
It may apply if you are also running a firewall.

rodrod5
01-24-02, 12:17 AM
just as Kip said you have all the classic signs of what we called a "stolen ip" when i did support for @Home

you and another user that has now been assigned that ip address are fighting over it

you need to go dynamic and pull a new one and then go static with it for what ever reason you want to

you will keep having this problem as long as your static

Cox Comcast Att have gone or are going to true dynamic addresses sorry but they know what is best for your broadband needs

if you r running a server you need to get a dns foward setup and then you can still have your server and domain with dynamic

because Cox Comcast and Att are doing you a favor by adding the aDdEd sEcUrItY of a dynamic address right:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

CAPMAT
01-24-02, 10:09 AM
rodrod5
if you r running a server you need to get a dns foward setup and then you can still have your server and domain with dynamic
Could you explain this with more detail?

because Cox Comcast and Att are doing you a favor by adding the aDdEd sEcUrItY of a dynamic address right
I am thankful. :) But my necessity is not of security nature right now, or, in other words I am willing to take a risk of taking care of it myself without cox intervening.

rodrod5
01-24-02, 02:52 PM
a dns foward will poll your isp from time to time to determain what your ip address is that is assigned to your computer name (dhcp client id) and then will direct your domain like www.bob.com to your ip address

it will poll with a reverse dns lookup that gives them the ip assigned to your computername and as your ip changes it will change where www.bob.com gets fowarded to

www.tucows.com did offer a service like this but i dont see it listed on their site anymore the ones i see listed look as if you would have to update when your ip changes and this is not practical

ask around someone in here will know a service that can direct a domain to a dynamic ip address based on computer name

there are other services that do this as well but i cant find any searching on yahoo sorry but ask around i know for a fact these srevices r out there:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

rodrod5
01-24-02, 02:57 PM
and i was only joking about how your isp knows best they dont know crap and can barely run their own networks

who needs their isp to look out for them just give me my damn pipe and take my money and go away

it was a joke i hate how companies do something for themselves and then spin it like they did you a favor even though all they did was screw you and cause you problems

geeee thanks for looking out for me huh....how about looking out for me by not restricting my speeds and making your service more reliable and with less restrictions on what i can do with it huh:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

Einstein_DSci
01-25-02, 08:38 AM
Go here:

http://dns2go.deerfield.com/

for dynamic DNS services. I use it and it works well.