PDA

View Full Version : Does the quality of your network card affect your ping?

ChuckDees
11-08-01, 05:09 PM
I just bought a system with a Linksys ehternet card installed. I have a 3COM 3C905C-TXM in my current system.

The question I have is if I switch to the 3COM will my ping when playing games be lower than if I use the Linksys?

twitchxx
11-08-01, 05:12 PM
nah not really, those are both ok cards.

YeOldeStonecat
11-09-01, 07:23 AM
Yes definitely if on a LAN....marginally to none on the 'net, depending on your connection. 3COM being much better than Linksys.

AoDLiQuiD-M3tH
11-09-01, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Yes definitely if on a LAN....marginally to none on the 'net, depending on your connection. 3COM being much better than Linksys.

Speak for yourself:D :D We used to use 3com cards where i work doing cable modem installs but they used to break all the time plus cause latency issues on the pci bus. we now only use linksys cards they have proven to be better in the field over the last 2 years in the field:) but thATS just my experiance

YeOldeStonecat
11-09-01, 03:12 PM
Linksys usually end up in our garbage can pretty quick when rebuilding toasted networks....just my experience in around 5 years of traveling around 3 states doing networks.

I dunno who set them up on your LAN to be so problematic...but they hosed something.

Probably the most common card I see problems with at LAN parties too...with peeps always needing help trying to get them to work.

ChrisB8084
11-10-01, 11:18 AM
what about d-link network cards? are they good for gaming? Cause I have 2 network cards. I have the d-link one in my gaming machine and the 3com one in my other computer. Shoud they be switched around?

YeOldeStonecat
11-10-01, 01:04 PM
I would def switch them. Use the latest 3COM drivers, the NIC utility allows you to also set maximized throughput if you have a honkin CPU....or default, or minimum CPU utilization.

ChrisB8084
11-10-01, 02:58 PM
how do you install the latest drivers for the 3com i have never figured it out?

8D
11-12-01, 11:03 AM
u put the cd in...go to device manager...open the properties for ur network card and click update drivers. then it will give u screen askin u where to look for the drivers...tell it ur D: or ur A: whatever they gave u...and it will update them

ChrisB8084
11-12-01, 11:24 AM
no not from the a cd like from the internet you download them and unzip them but how do you propely install them?

8D
11-12-01, 04:09 PM
again...tell ur driver updater to search the location u unzip them too...it should recognize them as drivers lol

Epyon
11-12-01, 06:26 PM
I have a Realtek 8139 series PCI NIC, is that a good card?

YeOldeStonecat
11-12-01, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ChrisB8084
no not from the a cd like from the internet you download them and unzip them but how do you propely install them?

C:\"directory you downloaded them to"\update /diag

You always download a self extracting file that ends in .exe...double click that file...it will "unbuckle" in the directory you have it in...spitting out many files and directories like a zip file. In there you will find a readme...read it.