PDA

View Full Version : Question about RoadRunner and cable TV service

colnago1331
10-06-01, 12:39 PM
If I cancel my cable TV service but keep my RoadRunner service won't I still be getting a cable signal into my home thus allowing me to get "free" cable with a cable-ready TV/VCR?

blebs
10-06-01, 12:46 PM
You must have at least Basic Cable T.V. in order to have RoadRunner. In other words, no.

colnago1331
10-06-01, 01:28 PM
Time-Warner offers RoadRunner service for an extra $5/month if you don't have Time-Warner cable, so I know I don't have to have their cable service.

blebs
10-06-01, 05:09 PM
Maybe, I'm misunderstanding something or your area has different options open to you, but in my area, we have only one Cable Provider and you cannot get RR alone. You must subscribe to at least Basic Cable T.V. service or your out of luck.

Aljcentral
10-06-01, 09:45 PM
You can get internet access without TV access but they will charge you more for it. You will not get TV for free though because they should come out and install a video trap (filter) on your cable line.:)

ORiOnKiLeR
10-06-01, 11:32 PM
Aljcentral is right... You can have Road Runner without cable TV service. They put traps on the line to block the TV service. There are some places that require a basic service... but it can be done without.

- ORiOnKiLeR

legalmind
10-08-01, 11:55 AM
Even if you could. Risk going to jail to watch TV? Getting a record which could screw up your life?
What is the logic here?

ORiOnKiLeR
10-08-01, 03:45 PM
No...no...no... I wasn't implying that it can be done "illegaly". I was stating that you can have Roadrunner service without having cable TV service. I don't have cable TV.... Yet I have Roadrunner. If you have basic cable, Roadrunner is $40/mo and without cable it's $50/mo. Just wanted to clarify... ;)

- ORiOnKiLeR

colnago1331
10-08-01, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by legalmind
Even if you could. Risk going to jail to watch TV? Getting a record which could screw up your life?
What is the logic here?

Of course not. My point was, if they didn't put the "trap" to filter out the TV signal, then I could just hook my incoming cable line directly into my VCR and have cable TV service w/out the converter box. For example, in one apartment I lived in the cable company didn't actually cut the service so my roommate and I had free cable. We weren't doing anything illegal (we didn't manipulate or jimmy anything up). But with this, if they install the trap, then obviously we won't be getting cable w/out subscribing to it.

Vesuvius
10-09-01, 03:21 AM
well call me crazy but if you can handle the 40-50 bucks it cost for a cable modem I'd assume you could cover the additional 20 bucks for basic cable :p

colnago1331
10-09-01, 07:11 AM
Actually it's $30 here for basic cable and while you're right, I can handle it, why pay for something I can get for free? But I can't, so that's that. No biggie.

ace
10-09-01, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ORiOnKiLeR
No...no...no... I wasn't implying that it can be done "illegaly". I was stating that you can have Roadrunner service without having cable TV service. I don't have cable TV.... Yet I have Roadrunner. If you have basic cable, Roadrunner is $40/mo and without cable it's $50/mo. Just wanted to clarify... ;)

- ORiOnKiLeR

if you want cable internet and tv then order the limited basic and and it will equal out to fifty dollars anyway.you get the ten dollar discount for having cable but it doesnt have to be the full basic..

(and most likely they wont have traps for the limited to work with the internet so you will most likely get full basic..shhh, dont tell that i told you...lol)

Kip Patterson
10-09-01, 09:06 AM
The fact that cable tv is miraculously available on your modem cable does not mean you are free to use it. It's theft, and it is a felony in Ohio.

Kip

Eaglescout
10-09-01, 10:13 AM
In my area, it was cheaper to get cable AND roadrunner, than just roadrunner by itself. Apperently that isn't the same everywhere.

Eaglescout

legalmind
10-09-01, 11:15 PM
I save 10.00 per month off HBO and TMC's. The I save another 17.00 for having both cable and internet. Then I save another 10.00 off cable for buying modem.
Kind of like those cards they give you to shop with. What do they compare the savings to?