PDA

View Full Version : The WinXP System INI Tweak Please Help Me?

majestacal
09-30-01, 11:55 PM
Ok for the winXP systemini tweak I dont get where to put 7168 at here is what my system config looks like when I open it up can someone type out what I should look like when doing this tweak thanks!

My Configuration

; for 16-bit app support
[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv
[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON

dvblsd
10-01-01, 12:25 AM
for 16-bit app support

It won't work for WinXP or Win2000, however, you can still add it if you want to, as well as the 'ConservativeSwapFile=1', or any other that you might want to. Just add it to the last line under the 386enh section as you would in Win98................

Lobo
10-01-01, 08:02 AM
majestacal, type sysedit in run box, then put under 386Enh in System ini
:)

majestacal
10-01-01, 11:47 AM
So lobo what your saying is it should look like this? This is what im confused on how it should look?

; for 16-bit app support
[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv
[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON

Lobo
10-01-01, 11:55 AM
No, like this:

[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
Irq#=7168

# is the IRQ that NIC card is assigned to:)

majestacal
10-01-01, 12:01 PM
Thanks alot Lobo now I see this is the first time Ive ever used this tweak thats why I was so lost on what to do by chance do you know where I can find my IRQ# for my card the tweak guide is for Win98 and im running WinXP do I just goto my card in network devices and do a properties check? Thanks again!:)

Lobo
10-01-01, 12:04 PM
Go to Start, Programs, accessories, system tools, system information Once that is up click on hareware on left, then click on IRQ:)

slacker361
01-07-03, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dvblsd
for 16-bit app support

It won't work for WinXP or Win2000, however, you can still add it if you want to, as well as the 'ConservativeSwapFile=1', or any other that you might want to. Just add it to the last line under the 386enh section as you would in Win98................

your saying the conservitiveswapfile will work in xp also?????

mnosteele52
01-07-03, 03:30 PM
XP ignores the System.ini file.

:D :cool:

slacker361
01-09-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lobo
No, like this:

[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
Irq#=7168

# is the IRQ that NIC card is assigned to:)

so then this tweak doesnt work??????

djicemanfrankie
01-09-03, 05:24 PM
all i could say with this is it doesn't work in xp or nt base. it totally ignores it. i tried it andtook it out. try it and tell us if you see any gain at all;)

slacker361
01-09-03, 06:52 PM
well i see one problem right away , I am using a wireless usb device and not a nic, so i cant find the irq for that device, anyone know how to apply the tweak in this config

mnosteele52
01-10-03, 10:05 AM
As stated above the the tweak is useless for XP so don't even worry about it.

:D ;)

slacker361
01-14-03, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by mnosteele52
XP ignores the System.ini file.

:D :cool:

so is there a file xp reads that can be used????

mnosteele52
01-14-03, 11:01 PM
Not that I know of, this tweak is controversial in 98 (although I think it's worth trying in 98) but useless in 2K & XP.

:D ;)

slacker361
01-15-03, 03:25 PM
k ....thanks

Pikaberdot
01-16-03, 02:21 PM
If system.ini is completely useless/ignored by win2k/xp then can we safely delete all the contents from it?

Mine is currently:

; for 16-bit app support
[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv
[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
PagingDrive=C:
MinPagingFileSize=393216
MaxPagingFileSize=393216
LocalLoadHigh=0
[ScreenTime]
previousProjectorProcessID=256

So using your logic, if I completely clear it, and save, then I should be fine, right?

Pikaberdot
01-17-03, 04:57 PM
Well?

mnosteele52
01-17-03, 07:08 PM
Did you upgrade to 2K or XP or did you do a fresh install?:D

Freddy
01-18-03, 09:32 PM
I use windows xp pro, 256 megs of DDR (p2100) ram. I have a linksys nic card (upgraded to the latest drivers from linksys and turned to 100 full duplex mode). I use comcast (regular account)and have a 1.5/128 speed connection. I have been experimenting with this tweak for quite a while now and found that it seems to work. I have actually tried ping, download, and upload tests to test this tweak (keep in mind that like in an experiment, i used the system.ini tweak as the only variable; everything else was controlled). I usually run a direct connect hub (which usually has anywhere from 150 to 200 peeps in it), aim, icq, msn, and irc (which i am connected to about 20 channels at the same time). I used that ool server file (from mnosteeles tweak reference page) as my download speed test (cuz i usually reach caps from it). I used the 10 site ping (also from mnosteeles tweak page) as my ping test. I used the upload speed test on "www.pcpitstop.com" for my upload speed test. I also used a particular 1 on 1 Unreal Tournament server (that I know has lots of bandwidth and that i usually ping the same everytime and that only I am in at that moment cuz no specs allowed) for an additional download/upload speed test.

Keep in mind that i use cablenut and applied the speed file my particular connection speed (1500/128).

First experiment (the time without the system.ini tweak applied), I downloaded at about 180 kb/sec from the ool server (64 megs, i think). On average, I would reach around 170 peeps for my direct connect hub. My upload speed would show as 140 kb/sec on average. That Unreal Tournament server that I was talking about, well, i would ping about 80 ms. Also, while about 170 peeps in hubs, i would be connected to all of my messengers (aim, msn, icq, and mirc) at the same time and experience lots of disconnections, ping timeouts, and drops (if theres any difference between any of those terms :)) from one and not the other or from the other and not one or from 2, and not the other two or even drops of like 15-25 peeps from my hub, etc...etc...basically, I would experience lots of drops.

Second experiment (the time with the system.ini tweak applied at 4096), I downloaded at about 189 kb/sec from the ool server (64 megs, i think). On average, I would reach around 190 peeps for my direct connect hub. My upload speed would show as 153 kb/sec on average. That Unreal Tournament server that I was talking about, well, i would ping about 69 ms. Also, while about 190 peeps in hubs, i would be connected to all of my messengers (aim, msn, icq, and mirc) at the same time and experience little disconnections, ping timeouts, and drops (if theres any difference between any of those terms :)).

Third experiment (the time with the system.ini tweak applied at 7168), I downloaded at about 185 kb/sec from the ool server (64 megs, i think). On average, I would reach around 185 peeps for my direct connect hub. My upload speed would show as 147 kb/sec on average. That Unreal Tournament server that I was talking about, well, i would ping about 73 ms. Also, while about 185 peeps in hubs, i would be connected to all of my messengers (aim, msn, icq, and mirc) at the same time and experience a moderate (not too much) disconnections, ping timeouts, and drops (if theres any difference between any of those terms :)).

So, what am I trying to say? Well, I am trying to say if you want better performance, TRY THE SYSTEM.INI TWEAK!!! Besides, wutz the worst that could happen, it not work? Think about it peeps; If you do it and it works, you're good to go. If you do it and it doesn't work, well, then it doesn't work (nothing lost, nothing gained). Trust me, when i say itz worth a try. I think that the reason reserving 4096 kb as opposed to 7168 performed better, even though it is physically more, is because too much probably makes the cards throughput ineffiecient and therefore doesn't maximize the performance. So using 4096 kb, in my opinion, is your best bet. Uh...maybe if you have a devastating (512 and above) amount of ram, then you could try 7168 for experimental purposes. Um...for all those that want to know exactly how my system.ini looks with the system.ini tweak applied...it looks like this (with realistically, no big gap at the top of it, and starts with "; for 16-bit app support" and ends with "Irq18=4096"):

; for 16-bit app support

[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv

[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
Irq18=4096

Well, thatz basically all I gotta say. I just had to write something because I've heard so many questions about it. Keep in mind that I am using windows xp pro.

-Fred

Freddy
01-18-03, 09:47 PM
Uh...keep in mind that when i say "kb/sec", i mean kilobytes per second. The numbers that I use for my upload speed are the right numbers, but not in kilobytes per second; It's actually kilobits per seond. Basically what i am trying to say is that for all the numbers I posted are correct, but for my downloads, its correct for kilobytes per second, and uploads, its correct for kilobits per second.

-Freddy_Got_Fingered