PDA

View Full Version : How to run 2 or more instances of a windows program?

velvta
07-18-01, 04:05 PM
Anyonw know how to make an application, or any kind of program run 2 or more instances at the same time? For instance, you can always open up more than one mirc client, well, how would you go about running 2 or more of anything else, for instance, 2 instances of Instant Messenger, or 2 versions of whatever really. Is there something in the registry that prevents some apps or games from being able to be opened more than once at a time?

Joe
07-18-01, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by velvta
Anyonw know how to make an application, or any kind of program run 2 or more instances at the same time? For instance, you can always open up more than one mirc client, well, how would you go about running 2 or more of anything else, for instance, 2 instances of Instant Messenger, or 2 versions of whatever really. Is there something in the registry that prevents some apps or games from being able to be opened more than once at a time?

Just make a copy of the exe and run both exes :confused:

Might work...

Altema
07-18-01, 04:41 PM
LOL i really dont even know why would you want to, unless you just want to play little tricks with 2 SNs =X

Crump
07-18-01, 06:07 PM
Try to open more than one session and see what happens.

phenix0000
07-18-01, 06:19 PM
There isn't a trick to opening another instance of a program.
The ability to do multiple instances is either built-in or it's not there.

The only way I know of that works would be PING's method, install it twice, each to it's own directory and open both EXEs.

Although that won't always work either, some programs are only suppose to have 1 instance so the programmers has put in a built-in instance check to see if there is more than 1 instance of the program. This would result in a error message like "There program is already running!" or something like "You may only run one instance of this program." :(

So if the program can't do multiple instances, there's not much you can do about it.

If you want to have multiple ICQ or AIM accounts running, you can get the offical ICQ or AIM program and then get a clone. :2cool:

velvta
07-18-01, 09:22 PM
Actually yeah guys, I am trying to run two, if not 3 instances of AIM, but not for what you may think, I just have people spread out over different screen names, but I can't merge them all into one, because that would defeat the purpose of them not knowing my other screen names, so I can just be bothered when I want to be ;)

What do you mean by a clone program?

By the way, it ried double installation of aim, but it won't work.

Any one have any more thoughts?

Joe
07-18-01, 09:38 PM
I am at a loss...

Ive tried a few things to get aim running more than once but it wont work.

I think there are other programs that allow you to chat over the aim server using your name. You might try finding that.... that would give you two instances... maybe you can run that more than once and you will get your 3 - 4 +

Crump
07-18-01, 11:11 PM
In other words...he is trying to pimp 3 chics at once...you go player!;)

CiscoKid
07-19-01, 05:34 AM
Actually yeah guys, I am trying to run two, if not 3 instances of AIM, but not for what you may think, I just have people spread out over different screen names, but I can't merge them all into one, because that would defeat the purpose of them not knowing my other screen names, so I can just be bothered when I want to be ;)

What do you mean by a clone program?

By the way, it ried double installation of aim, but it won't work.

Any one have any more thoughts?

Use Linux. You can run up to 16 instances of AIM on RedHat. You can also do alot more stuff in Linux compared to Windowz.

BTW, dows anyone know how to run Apache in Linux? I can't see to get it to start...

velvta
07-19-01, 03:52 PM
Wow, 16 instances huh?

Well, speaking of linux, if i installed that into my system, how much room does it take up, and would i be able to choose at the computer startup wether to boot into windows or linux, or how would it work?

CiscoKid
07-19-01, 04:11 PM
Wow, 16 instances huh?

Well, speaking of linux, if i installed that into my system, how much room does it take up, and would i be able to choose at the computer startup wether to boot into windows or linux, or how would it work?

I have a 2 gig install with ALL server configuration possible. Not sure how much space would be needed for a Workstation install though.

FunK
07-19-01, 11:17 PM
To get multiple instances, you may try to hex edit the exe and try to disable any code that doesn't allow multiple sessions.

Yes Linux can run multiple AIMs and ICQs at the same time.
Also, in licq, you don't have to wait for perms to add someone (like the hacked windows versions). It has all the toys you need.

It doesn't take too much space, but I would give it a Gig to really enjoy all the features and programs.

Yes, you can choose at boot up between windows and Linux.

Cisco, explain the problem to me with Apache and we may be able to get you up and running. If I can't get it working for ya, try the OS section on my site. Wheat Thin can get it going for ya, or we can go another route.

FunK

CiscoKid
07-20-01, 12:13 AM
I can't figureout the command. I contacted Apache.org and they said the same thing I was trying. I tried to download the source and compile it, but it didn't work...if you know where RedHat has the program files, can you give me a heads up?

phenix0000
07-20-01, 12:35 AM
If you read my previous post, I told him that clones would let him logon.

That's the same as Licq in Linux, but I thought he did not want to install another whole OS just to run multiple instances of AIM.:confused:

At google.com you can try searching for something like
"AIM clone"

Odigo from www.odigo.org can import your AIM list, so you can use that as 1 more instance.
Try getting another clone to logon multiple times.