03-08-01, 12:32 AM
Hello to all. Just got Bell Sympatico Hi-Speed (I believe its DSL), and was wondering what I could do to tweak it. My neighbour 4 houses down gets 60kb/sec dL'ing mp3's and I can only get about 15 to 20. I was wondering if someone could advise me on the best way to tweak my connection. Can/Should I use a progie like Internet tweak 2001 or do it myself? Where should I start. I have PPPoE installed in my network and I did run Speed Analyzer and these are results:
MTU = 1454
MTU is not at an optimal value... Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.
MSS = 1414
Maximum useful data in each packet = 1414, which seems to be equal to MSS.
MSS is not fully optimized for broadband (although it might work well for slower connections). Consider increasing your MTU value.
Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 8484
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
Unscaled Receive Window = 8484
RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
520352 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 8)
260176 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 4)
130088 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 2)
65044 (MSS x 46)
bandwidth * delay product:
Your RcvWindow limits you to: 339.36 kbps (42.42 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your RcvWindow limits you to: 135.744 kbps (16.968 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = true
Time to live = 117 hops
Timestamps (RFC1323) = false
Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = true
IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000
I don't quite understand them yet.
Thanks for any help.
erm...i don't think u have to tweak it to get 60K....i m using @home and my uncle is using HSE (bell DSL), he gets 60K without tweaking and he doesn't know what is tweaking anyways....
try to get up to 60K before tweaking
03-08-01, 12:57 AM
Most I seem to get is 33. But I noticed that my MTU is 1454 and was told that for DSL on PPPoE it should be 1492. Should I change this or anything else. I would like to have it running as best as possible.
did u try applying one of those SpeedGuide patch?
this is one of the PPPoE patch: http://www.speedguide.net/files/sguide_tweak_98_pppoe.zip
try see if it works ok...if not, just apply the default patch to back to default
Sir, please follow the guidelines:
First bring up REGEDIT, type REGEDIT in your run box and hit OK.
Under Registry at the top of the box, click on that, now click on Export Registry File, a box will come up asking where you want to export it to, just put it in your C drive, then name it at the bottem of box, Registry. Click on ALL at the bottom so it copies all of your registry.
Click on save.
Now if you ever get in trouble or want the old regestry back, bring REGEDIT back up and click on Registry and click on import registry file, go to your C drive and click on registry and click open, reboot and your good to go.
Anytime you add a new program, backup again, any program, back it up to the same place as the last one, it will overwrite it. If you do not backup after each new program is instaled you will not have those setting's in regestry if you have to backup for some reason.
Do nothing else in this box as it is the heart of your computer, just what it says above and no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tweaking will not fix Packet Loss
Multiplayer games over UDP
Your regular ping time
Regular PC Freezes
1. You probaly need to PRINT these instructions!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to main page on Speedguide, go to patch page (Listed on left)
2. Download the faster loading of webpages for your OS, download the speedpatch for your OS, becarefull, there are alot of patches on this page. Please read installation instructions for these patchs on patch page.Please read how to install speed patch.
3. Download the back to default patch for your OS, do not install this patch, just download it in case you ever want to change patches.Please ead instructions on patch on how to install speed patch.
4. Download Vtcp386 Fix patch if you are running WIN 95,98 or 98SE and install (Big V). Additionally, if your OS is Win 95, you will also need to download and install the vtcp386 .zip (small v) and the Windows Socket Two patch.
5. Go to http://forums.speedguide.net/optd.shtml , turn off firewalls, if you have one, copy the results by highlighing everything in the box with your mouse, then hit Ctrl & c, with your key board, come back to Speedguide and in same post you were in reply, when box comes up , cursor blinking at start of box hit Ctrl & v, this will copy results in box so I may look at them. You may wish to bookmark this page so you may return in future.
7. I do not recommend adding any other patches, all these tests change by the minute so don't be fooled an start adding patch after patch.
8. The best time to test for speed is early in the morning when no one (or not many) people are on the net.
9. Nothing should be running during any test, no virus stuff, firewalls, ICQ, AIM, nothing.
and always clear (Delete, no this will not harm your system) your temp internet files before each test, not once during testing, after each test.
10. Do not add other speed patches on top of each other, always go back to default before trying another patch, I am aware of only one patch that will remove previous patch without having to return to default, that is Cablenuts patch.
11. In the future, here are some other sites you may wish to visit, go to www.testmyspeed.com. (http://www.testmyspeed.com.) Please bookmark that page as well as www.pcpitstop.com (http://www.pcpitstop.com) so you may return. Also another good dowload site would be www.happypuppy.com (http://www.happypuppy.com) click on 10 demos and a large download file, do not download the whole file, just most of it.
12. You may in the future wish to go to www.AnalogX.com (http://www.AnalogX.com) and download Net Stat Live, run this while downloading a large file.
13. Please take your time and good luck. I would suggest at least 128 RAM and read up on all this, but be care full.
14. The most accurate way of testing speed is downloading large file as explained above from somewhere like www.happypuppy.com (http://www.happypuppy.com) (not all of it, just most of it). All other speed test sites will vary, www.AOL.com (http://www.AOL.com) is another fast server, you may download from this site also, remember to delete temp internet files before doing test. Try both sites as 1 may be having problems.
When refering to speed Kb is Kilobits, KB is Kilobytes Divide by 8 kilobits to get kilobytes.
Also you may wish to download Dr.TCP from www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) to adjust MSS, MTU. RWIN and other numbers in future, this is for advanced people and I do not recommend changing any numbers that patches put in.
RUN DEFRAG AT LEAST EVERY 2 DAYS
People runnng WIN 98 or 98SE should run System File Checker once a week to make sure you have all files, all you really care about should be the Windows files and subfolders. To get to this, start, programs,accessories,system tools, system information. Click on tools in System information and it will be there. More information about it in Help.
How do do speed test
1. The best time is early in the morning (3 AM - 6 AM)
2. Make sure defrag has been run so no files are fragmented
3. Delete Temp internet files, not while testing, but after each test. IE browser, click tools, internet options, click on delete files and no this will not harm system, just get rid of temp files
4. Go to a fast server such as www.happypuppy.com (http://www.happypuppy.com) and click on 10 demos, select a LARGE file to download (not all of it of download, just most of it, before you click cancel) this will show you how fast you are downloading, it's not going to be quick except except early in morning when not many people on net. I recommend you go to www.analogX.com (http://www.analogX.com) and download Net State live, run this while downloading as it will give you avg of your download speed.
5. Probably the most important, nothing can be running during test, no firewalls, no virus stuff, no ICQ, no AIM (some of you may have to go into BIOS to disable virus scanner, nothing running except Net Stat live
Scheduled tasks will run disk defrag, 98 & SE in Taskbar, WIN ME in control panel
Or if you wish you may go to www.testmyspeed.com (http://www.testmyspeed.com) and do one of the online tests, these vary to much for me but you may like them. Another one is at www.dslreports.com/tools (http://www.dslreports.com/tools)
03-08-01, 01:57 PM
Thanks Lobo and Cy88. Gonna get right to it and try it all. BTW Lobo I'm flattered to be called Sir. I have printed your info and have no problems/fears working with registry (will back up as always). Hope I get faster. I think I'll try the speed checks before I do anything and then compare after. I'll let you know how things work out.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.