PDA

View Full Version : Need pseudoephedrine (sudafed) substitute

ghettoside
01-21-07, 09:34 PM
I have chronic sinus (allergy realted) problems.

pseudoephedrine is regulated here. I can only get 2 pkgs of 20 tabs a month. I've been circumventing that by stocking up every time I go to the City.

I've had bad reactions to just about everything over the counter I've tried. Actifed, benadryl and I'm not sure off hand what else.

Yesterday I discovered that the pharmacies in the City have all their systems tied in now, and I can't get my decongestants because I'm over the limit.. I have a prescription for Allegra D but I can't afford it and it's only 15 tabs- for $57. Sudafed is a lot cheaper...

I can't take the new sudafed, phenylephrine. I have several bad reactions to it.

I was out of decongestants friday. I took some chlorpheniramine maleate tabs fri night. lol, I got up for work at 4 am, turned the alarm off and went back to sleep. I woke about 6:45, slammed a full pot of coffee, and was still too groggy to go to work. I had to call in and went back to bed.

I'm open to anything that won't make me sleepy, something natural would be great.

Shinobi
01-21-07, 09:47 PM
Hi :)

Nose decongestant? How about that Mucinex "D" (DM for chest too)
For a natural nose decongestant.. some people swear that echinacea herbal pills.

Hopefully you wont have any bad adverse reactions to anything new..

Kip Patterson
01-21-07, 09:52 PM
My doc suggested Claritin, which is an anti-histamine. It seems to deal with congestion really well with no side effects.

Continued use of pseudoephedrine is really hard on your prostate, and can lead to urinary retention problems. Take it from a guy who has not peed four months, you do not want that. In addition, as y'all know it is tightly controlled these days. You could be mistaken for a member of Hell's Angels if you go shopping for it.

ghettoside
01-21-07, 10:47 PM
Shinobi, Kip

Thanks guys.

Mucinex D and Claritin D both have Pseudoephedrine. :(

The main ingredient of claritn, loratidine, makes me nauseous. For prescriptions, all I've ever been able to tak is allegra d and zyrtec d. Both expensive as hell, and I'd need a dr visit for a script. I still haven't paid off the balance on Nov.'s med bills from that mold poisoning...

I'll have to read up on echinacea, I thought that was for immune system boosting and fighting colds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm at a loss for a substitute.

Kip, doubtless the authorities will be investigating me. I've been circumventing the system since they started this regulation crap last year.

downhill
01-21-07, 10:51 PM
Check in on the Allegra. It's hit the substitute market. You'll still need a prescription but it's a lot cheaper. Fexofenadine Hydrochloride.

If you have a CostCo close, they'll fill perscriptions without a membership if I remember that correctly.

David
01-21-07, 10:58 PM
nm...

ghettoside
01-21-07, 11:02 PM
DH,

I'm googling it. Interesting, I see there was a lil legal battle...

Kip's words are starting to haunt me. I looked at few sites for pricing... I keep seeing

Please Note: The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency now requires we verify identification by seeing a copy of photo ID from all customers who purchase items containing Pseudoephed...

DEA... oh great :rolleyes:

I'd assumed it was a state thing, never questioned it.

Thanks DH.

ghettoside
01-21-07, 11:05 PM
oh wait... that says see an id.

here I have to sign the electronic touchpad thingy at the pharmacies. used to be sign a log.

I better look into this.

Debbie
01-21-07, 11:18 PM
"Simply Saline" which is a pure saline solution nasal spray works for me. The other saline sprays have additives in them.

My grandmother used to always make a mild salt rinse for her nose and never had a problem with her allergies.

The key is mild...if you make it yourself.

I don't use that other stuff. :)

ghettoside
01-21-07, 11:38 PM
http://www.blairex.com/SimplySalineReg.html

Thanks Debbie, that's a match for what I'm looking for in the natural category. +1. :thumb:

That's definately worth a try. I see ordering available from Walgreens.com. I'll have to go to walgreens tomorry after work, I bet that's in stores. I need something regardless... this would be great if it works for me.

David
01-22-07, 12:06 AM
Consider a RAST test and the appropriate regimen of desensitizing shots.

ghettoside
01-22-07, 12:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAST_test

I had the skin test in the 70's. That was quite an experience, lol.

Thanks for the suggestion Hell_Yes. That's a good idea.

I've been told by a couple drs that's it's a combination of allergies and I need some sinus surgery. Screw the sinus surgery.

I know I'm allergic to dusts and molds mostly. I beleive the skin test covered like 500 things... each one a lil "cut" in my back.

CableDude
01-22-07, 06:49 PM
Mmm pseudoephedrine

Debbie
01-22-07, 06:54 PM
http://www.blairex.com/SimplySalineReg.html

Thanks Debbie, that's a match for what I'm looking for in the natural category. +1. :thumb:

That's definately worth a try. I see ordering available from Walgreens.com. I'll have to go to walgreens tomorry after work, I bet that's in stores. I need something regardless... this would be great if it works for me.

It works for me. When I run out, I usually throw a small pinch of salt in 4 ounces of warm water once every 3 days for as long as I need it.

CableDude
01-22-07, 07:03 PM
Diphenhydramine

CableDude
01-22-07, 07:07 PM
[ I beleive the skin test covered like 500 things... each one a lil "cut" in my back.

:eek: :wth: F-that. I'll continue to suffer.

CableDude
01-22-07, 07:19 PM
Hey Ghetto!

I've taken medicine with Diphenhydramine in it and gone to work. And them I'm like out of it for most of the day.

Nothing bothers me, It's great! :rotfl:

CableDude
01-22-07, 07:21 PM
Do you get chronic sinus headaches? I do. I'm expecting one tomorrow. I usually get them on Tuesdays. Sunday is like the only day I feel great. Except for later in the evening.

I get this "sick" feeling. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Debbie
01-22-07, 07:34 PM
Do you get chronic sinus headaches? I do. I'm expecting one tomorrow. I usually get them on Tuesdays. Sunday is like the only day I feel great. Except for later in the evening.

Root cause: current job.

knightmare
01-22-07, 07:52 PM

root cause-- sex chakra is clogged, must open it up !!!!! start wearing the color orange !

David
01-22-07, 08:21 PM
Diphenhydramine

He wishes to stay awake.

CableDude
01-22-07, 10:18 PM
Root cause: current job.

+1

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:26 PM
It works for me. When I run out, I usually throw a small pinch of salt in 4 ounces of warm water once every 3 days for as long as I need it.

I went out and bought it tonite.

Too soon for me to tell.

I'll do a couple more blasts right before bed and see if that helps for the am. Problem I have is, I get drainage down the back of my throat while sleeping and then I get strep or an upper resp inf.

Salt? Sea salt, iodized, what kind Debbie?

//waits to hear if it's some special salt that costs $50/gram. :rotfl:

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:32 PM
:eek: :wth: F-that. I'll continue to suffer.

I didn't really have a choice, I was 11 yrs old or so. It wasn't too bad.

Wasn't exactly pleasant either :rotfl:

It felt like being sliced with a pencil eraser- w/ the eraser removed. I mean the metal part. Not bad, but some of those test bumps itched like a mofo.

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:35 PM
He wishes to stay awake.

:nod:

btw, I tried a decon w/ dextromethorphan today. Thank God I took it after 3 pm, I'd have had a hell of time at work if I'd taken it sooner.

CableDude
01-22-07, 10:38 PM
btw, I tried a decon w/ dextromethorphan today. Thank God I took it after 3 pm, I'd have had a hell of time at work if I'd taken it sooner.

Makes note of this. Will try some morning before work. ;)

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:43 PM
Hey Ghetto!

I've taken medicine with Diphenhydramine in it and gone to work. And them I'm like out of it for most of the day.

Nothing bothers me, It's great! :rotfl:

That's cool if you can handle it. More power to ya bro. :cool:

I work around machinery tho, and a slight "miscalculation" from being punchy could result in a disaster.

Aside from that, I really don't like pill buzzes. They're hard to wake up from if you have to suddenly. Weed? n/p! I am trying to stop that again too. I just found the Pat Robertson crash course a bit too much given my diminished capacities. lol. I need to ease off, which is in process, sort of.

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:44 PM
Makes note of this. Will try some morning before work. ;)

:rotfl:

I'm too slow in posting tonite :)

CableDude
01-22-07, 10:45 PM
Problem I have is, I get drainage down the back of my throat while sleeping and then I get strep or an upper resp inf.

I don't know if this will help or if you have one available, but have you tried sleeping with a humidifier on?

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:51 PM

Since I constantly take decongestants I manage to keep my sinus dry and no sinus headaches. I have had them tho.

But I get migraines. Very unpleasant ones. I'm not going there tonite...

hmmmmm.... I don't know yet what's it's like to have an established weekly routine so I can't say if there's any kind of patterns. lol.

I feel like chit so much that I don't know what it's like to feel good. :rotfl:

reminds me of the joke about being single...

It's not a matter of remembering when you got laid last,

It'a a matter of remembering what it felt like.

lol

ghettoside
01-22-07, 10:54 PM
I don't know if this will help or if you have one available, but have you tried sleeping with a humidifier on?

I think I need a dehumidifier. That's a good idea bro, I'll have to look into that asap.

Humboldt
01-22-07, 11:17 PM
Problem I have is, I get drainage down the back of my throat while sleeping

Funny, trini's mom says the same thing.

Different reason though.

ghettoside
01-22-07, 11:37 PM
Funny, trini's mom says the same thing.

Different reason though.

Didn't need a psychic to see that one coming! :rotfl:

joezpi
01-22-07, 11:39 PM
I hate to say it "or not" but getting non-nacotic drugs over the internet is easy as pie. Most sites just have you type in "symptoms" you tell them what you want and they ship it all legal-like to you with a Dr.'s name and all. Try a couple of different drug sites on the internet. I have known people to get evrything from Soma (a strong addictive muscle relaxer/sleeping pill) to anti-depressants etc..without leaving their home or seeing a Doctor.

ghettoside
01-22-07, 11:44 PM
I hate to say it "or not" but getting non-nacotic drugs over the internet is easy as pie. Most sites just have you type in "symptoms" you tell them what you want and they ship it all legal-like to you with a Dr.'s name and all. Try a couple of different drug sites on the internet. I have known people to get evrything from Soma (a strong addictive muscle relaxer/sleeping pill) to anti-depressants etc..without leaving their home or seeing a Doctor.

I'll consider that.

I'm a bit leery of that tho, but may be necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion.:thumb:

Kip Patterson
01-23-07, 03:48 AM
The problem with buying Pseudoephedrine that way is that it is a precursor for Meth. Instead of maybe getting some agency on your back for illegal drug purchases you are attracting serious attention.

ghettoside
01-23-07, 05:04 AM
The problem with buying Pseudoephedrine that way is that it is a precursor for Meth. Instead of maybe getting some agency on your back for illegal drug purchases you are attracting serious attention.

:nod:

CableDude
01-23-07, 06:48 PM
Do you get chronic sinus headaches? I do. I'm expecting one tomorrow. I usually get them on Tuesdays.

Must be Tuesday cause I have a headache. :rolleyes:

I thought it was Saturday when I woke up this morning.:(

Debbie
01-23-07, 06:55 PM
I went out and bought it tonite.

Too soon for me to tell.

I'll do a couple more blasts right before bed and see if that helps for the am. Problem I have is, I get drainage down the back of my throat while sleeping and then I get strep or an upper resp inf.

Salt? Sea salt, iodized, what kind Debbie?

//waits to hear if it's some special salt that costs $50/gram. :rotfl:
If I don't have sea salt which you can purchase at the supermarket, I use the iodized salt. Sea salt is much better to use.

CableDude
01-23-07, 06:57 PM
Sea salt is much better to use.

Noted.

Debbie
01-23-07, 07:10 PM
Aside from that, I really don't like pill buzzes. They're hard to wake up from if you have to suddenly. Weed? n/p! I am trying to stop that again too. I just found the Pat Robertson crash course a bit too much given my diminished capacities. lol. I need to ease off, which is in process, sort of. If you could stop that it will help a lot.

I still get post nasal drip every now and then because of cigarettes. I remember when I was not smoking, I did not have that bad of a problem.

Also, don't forget, if you have not been to a dentist in eons, cavities can affect your sinuses. :nod: I found that out a few years ago.

CableDude
01-23-07, 07:13 PM
Also, don't forget, if you have not been to a dentist in eons, cavities can affect your sinuses. :nod: I found that out a few years ago.

:eek: Could be what's causing my problems. What did you find out?

Debbie
01-23-07, 07:19 PM
:eek: Could be what's causing my problems. What did you find out?

I had chronic sinusitis and when I finally got off my azz to go to the dentist, I had two bad teeth that had to be filled. After that, the chronic condition went away. ;)

ghettoside
01-23-07, 09:26 PM
...Also, don't forget, if you have not been to a dentist in eons, cavities can affect your sinuses. :nod: I found that out a few years ago.

Bingo. I had a tooth removed last spring (posted it too! lol). I have a big cavity in the side of the tooth that is next to the empty hole. It hasn't started hurting yet but it is getting bigger and uglier. Come to think of it, I was pretty sick when I had that tooth out...

I could kiss you! ... but you prolly got hot dog on your breath :rotfl:

j/k!!! :D

Thanks for answering the salt question Debbie.:thumb:

If you could stop that it will help a lot.

I still get post nasal drip every now and then because of cigarettes. I remember when I was not smoking, I did not have that bad of a problem.

lol, what timing you have Debbie. I just posted a rant (http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?p=1981638#post1981638)

ghettoside
01-23-07, 09:33 PM
I still can't say if simply saline is working. Doesn't seem to help much yet.

Also managing to shoot myself in the eyes w/ it every time still... :rotfl:

fastchevy
01-24-07, 03:31 AM
cocaine?

ghettoside
01-24-07, 06:58 AM
cocaine?

Hell no! :eek:

:p